*POST SCRIMMAGE RESULTS HERE*

Correction on the Silsbee scrimmage opponents. Silsbee scrimmages North Shore, PA Memorial, Cypress Springs and Fort Bend Hightower.

Results so far:

20 minute halves, running clock

Silsbee                16

North Shore        14

Silsbee               20

PA Memorial      10

Silsbee will face Cypress Springs next, then Hightower

How many will Silsbee carry on varsity?

Probably 13-15

Currently, Silsbee has these varsity players still playing football:

Michael McCain, Dontre Thomas, Kolten Mackey, Kalon Barnes and Bruce Newton. 3 of those were starters last year. Also Adonis Thomas, Tre Lowe, Jaden Bass and Mason Murray could be varsity. They were brought up in basketball playoffs last year.

These players (not including Bass) are starters on the football team that look to make a good run in playoffs. It looks like Silsbee varsity basketball will not be at full capacity till after Thanksgiving or later.

The main players that Silsbee currently has playing varsity basketball are Tre Grubbs, Trajan Harris, Luke Tanton, Rick Maze, Devon McCain and Jordan Adams.

Impressive results by Silsbee today.  The temptation is to say, "especially considering the players they are missing."  However, that is kind of misleading.  While the players playing football ALL can play, there isn't a significant drop off with what they have playing now.  When you talk about their depth, it is consistent depth.  The key is going to be finding a balance or flow in distributing minutes.  In some ways, it is an easier coaching situation while the others are in football. 

Impressive results by Silsbee today.  The temptation is to say, "especially considering the players they are missing."  However, that is kind of misleading.  While the players playing football ALL can play, there isn't a significant drop off with what they have playing now.  When you talk about their depth, it is consistent depth.  The key is going to be finding a balance or flow in distributing minutes.  In some ways, it is an easier coaching situation while the others are in football. 

Well considering that 3 of the missing players (M. McCain, Thomas and Mackey) were starters last year and Newton and Barnes were two of the top players off the bench, I don't see how mentioning anything about missing players would be misleading. Those 5 players were at least 65% of the scoring last year with Grubbs and Harris making up most of the remaining 35%.

Well considering that 3 of the missing players (M. McCain, Thomas and Mackey) were starters last year and Newton and Barnes were two of the top players off the bench, I don't see how mentioning anything about missing players would be misleading. Those 5 players were at least 65% of the scoring last year with Grubbs and Harris making up most of the remaining 35%.

AAW can correct me, but it goes without saying that most of, if not (90%) of their rebounds came from those still playing football.

(D. Thomas, K. Barnes, K. Mackey)

All of those players are very good.  I think I probably did a poor job explaining my point.  What I was trying to say is that with the two freshmen who are playing significant minutes, there is not a big drop off in talent with what they now vs what they will have.  You can insert those 5 you mentioned and it's not like you have a big jump in productivity.  That's what I mean with consistent depth. 

You will never convince me that those two freshmen (as good as they are) are close to making up for the 5-7 players Silsbee will be getting once football is over, particularly in the varsity experience department.

But that's just my opinion. Like it was stated earlier, the players out represent the bulk of the rebounding and defense along with scoring. Lil McCain and Adams do not bring that to the table, yet.

You will never convince me that those two freshmen (as good as they are) are close to making up for the 5-7 players Silsbee will be getting once football is over, particularly in the varsity experience department.

But that's just my opinion. Like it was stated earlier, the players out represent the bulk of the rebounding and defense along with scoring. Lil McCain and Adams do not bring that to the table, yet.

Adams is very solid and was easily the best player in his class at BISD.  Devon may be the best PG at Silsbee right now (and in the district) and has a chance to be the best player in the history of the school.  He has to keep working but he is that kind of talent.  Keep in mind he has been playing against players 2 to 3 years older than him (and producing) his whole life.  And of course, they do have the guy who is probably their overall best player (Grubbs) with them right now.  

I am not saying the players they are missing will not help.  They will.  But there is a reason their results today were very impressive.   They are fielding a team without the football players that is very, very good.  Whsalum raises the point that is a good one and that has been discussed before.  Finding the right balance with depth of this kind (which is almost unheard of at this level) is going to be key.  The good news for Tiger fans is you have a coach in Sigler who is used to managing a deep bench.  It just got a lot deeper this year though. 

Yes playing time could be an issue and I know we r talking about kids who want to be in the game.  However, and yes it could be a challenge for the coaches keeping it this way, most of what I have seen from this group of players is a will to win not the will to be the star attitude that we have seen in the past. Sure it may rear its head but this group loves playing together and our run run run style is going to be way harder to deal with this year for our opponents with said depth.  That depth will also put the coached a lot more  comfortable position to sit a player who gives any trouble. Can't wait to see it unfold!!