Dumb STJFL Rules

Battlin' Bear

Post your thoughts on dumb rules (and the spirit of the rule) within the STJFL organization. I personally feel we need to eliminate the rule (and spirit of the rule) with regards to running up the score. A team and/or coach should not be penalized for playing their best. Let the teams play and the score be what it is. No way should a team be required to forfeit a game for scoring too many points. Come on now...grow up.

What's your least favorite rule?

The minimum play requirement. I don't know if it has changed from when my son played but it was all kids play minimum of 10 plays. Way to many plays to try and get all 22-24 players in.

I agree.  Although, I think it's needed, as parents do pay money for their kid to play.  Most coaches would end up not playing the 10-play kids.

Yes they should be penalized for beating teams 60-0 with starters in the game.  No reason for it.  A few past coaches took the mercy rule and manipulated it.  They essentially started subs and ran true starters majority of the game past the 28 pt mercy rule.

The problem is when a team follows the mercy rule and a true  sub scores or a defense scores on int. and punishments are still handed down. Add in the fact that coaches are unable to defend themselves and big mess ensues.  Now the culture has changed a bit.  A coach should be able to follow the rules and let the subs enjoy the game when the opportunity arises, especially in a rec league.  

Now teams have to intentially not score with subs getting their PT once up by 28 or risk breaking the Spirit of the rule, whatever that means.  The Mercy Rule is a good rule but must be applied right.  If a team has it s true subs in and still dominates the game then we should really blame the opposing coach for not teaching tackling instead of punishing subs for playing football. 

I have a bigger issue with stacked teams in Certain multiple team cities and weight limit manipulation.  "BattlinBear" have you seen a very large QB in Jr.?  I mean really large? One QB in particular is the biggest, thickest, tallest 110 lbs i ve ever seen.  But dont worry Bear, Ive seen this in Lum on occassion in past seasons. Get on the 5 yard line a big lineman minus an LO sticker goes in at fullback to bowling ball up the middle.  Those are the types of rules i would like to see some attention in a rec league such as stjfl.  

Yes they should be penalized for beating teams 60-0 with starters in the game.  No reason for it.  A few past coaches took the mercy rule and manipulated it.  They essentially started subs and ran true starters majority of the game past the 28 pt mercy rule.

The problem is when a team follows the mercy rule and a true  sub scores or a defense scores on int. and punishments are still handed down. Add in the fact that coaches are unable to defend themselves and big mess ensues.  Now the culture has changed a bit.  A coach should be able to follow the rules and let the subs enjoy the game when the opportunity arises, especially in a rec league.  

Now teams have to intentially not score with subs getting their PT once up by 28 or risk breaking the Spirit of the rule, whatever that means.  The Mercy Rule is a good rule but must be applied right.  If a team has it s true subs in and still dominates the game then we should really blame the opposing coach for not teaching tackling instead of punishing subs for playing football. 

I have a bigger issue with stacked teams in Certain multiple team cities and weight limit manipulation.  "BattlinBear" have you seen a very large QB in Jr.?  I mean really large? One QB in particular is the biggest, thickest, tallest 110 lbs i ve ever seen.  But dont worry Bear, Ive seen this in Lum on occassion in past seasons. Get on the 5 yard line a big lineman minus an LO sticker goes in at fullback to bowling ball up the middle.  Those are the types of rules i would like to see some attention in a rec league such as stjfl.  

There you go. I could go for that. Maybe it's not the rule as much as the application of the rule.

Another rule in would like to see changes is the weight limits. I'm fine with LO, but I see more potential for injury with OL. This places larger kids on offense against necessarily smaller kids on defense. Why can't an equally sized boy play defense against a larger O lineman? This also plays out with the kids. My son is about 5 ft 5 in, 155 lbs as a 10 year old. Last year he ran 3 miles daily and went no carbs and water only to lose weight for weigh in to play defense. No doubt, a week later, the weight is back on, but he passed the day of weigh in. Another boy on our team ate nothing but chicken broth and water for two weeks, while running miles in a sweat suit to lose the weight to play Defensive End. My opinion is that is not healthy for a kid. They are growing. We didn't battle it this year. Asked to play up on senior, but the senior team was pretty full and junior team a bit lite. Fine with LO, bit I believe the defensive line should be able to match size with the offensive line

Another rule in would like to see changes is the weight limits. I'm fine with LO, but I see more potential for injury with OL. This places larger kids on offense against necessarily smaller kids on defense. Why can't an equally sized boy play defense against a larger O lineman? This also plays out with the kids. My son is about 5 ft 5 in, 155 lbs as a 10 year old. Last year he ran 3 miles daily and went no carbs and water only to lose weight for weigh in to play defense. No doubt, a week later, the weight is back on, but he passed the day of weigh in. Another boy on our team ate nothing but chicken broth and water for two weeks, while running miles in a sweat suit to lose the weight to play Defensive End. My opinion is that is not healthy for a kid. They are growing. We didn't battle it this year. Asked to play up on senior, but the senior team was pretty full and junior team a bit lite. Fine with LO, bit I believe the defensive line should be able to match size with the offensive line

If you and another   parent sweated a kid down for little league football then you both  should have your heads examined. There needs to be a rule

for parents like you not to be allowed to play your kid nor be around any other kids as well.  You my friend are crazy.

Edited by mistro
word

Mistro...I didn't sweat my kid down, and neither did the other parent. Both were the kids themselves wanting to have the opportunity to play a position. I personally told my son that Junior High and High School won't have the dumb weight requirements. My son can't help that he is a good head taller than most kids his age. He doesn't want to be confined to offensive line only.

I highly doubt that any parent is sweating their kid down for little league football. It's competitive, but that is over the top. The problem is that the KIDS are looking to get the weight off. Again, line only is fine, but should be able to play on offense or defense.

Bear.... not really sure that 10 yr old kids are knowledgeable enough to know how to drop weight within a couple of weeks without some direction. So if

that direction is not coming from a parent then I would bet it is coming from the coach. Who should also have their head examined and be kicked out of the league.  Just think about it if a 10 yr old boy is worried about dropping weight so they can run the ball, what happens at the high school level when they are

to small to run the ball. What steps will these kids take then? 

Mistro...the direction was not coming from a parent or coach. The kids are savvy enough to know they won't get to play a position unless under a certain weight. With my kid, I told him I would support him but in no way would I make him lose the weight. We would run miles together (in shorts and t shirt) and I told him to eat all the protein he wanted while staying clear of sodas and sweets. The other kid who ran in a sweat suit and ate broth, I can't totally speak for the parents. I do know the parents did not push the kid. The kid chose to run and reduced sweets and sodas out of his diet. As far as the chicken broth and sweat suit, I don't know who was behind that idea. 

My kid in no way starved. He worked his tail off, with me by his side the whole way, and was in tip top shape when the season began (we typically ran late in the evening due to my work schedule, so it wasn't  blazing hot). He ate all of the chicken, beef, fish, and veggies he wanted. Just quit the donuts, sodas, and other sweets.

I've also seen my kid worry every year about the weight. Year 1, he was the only one on the team with a LO sticker. He was very self concious about it.