Baytown Sterling 24 Goose Creek Memorial 18/Final

WOSgrad

What's puzzling to me is that last year GCM led the district in rushing and still has the same running back. But this year they pass the ball on what seems like 70 percent of the offensive snaps. When they do run the ball it still looks effective. Maybe they are just trying to work on the passing game before district starts. The defense this year is like night and day compared to last year. They are playing lights out. 

This is the time of year to find out if he can play. In the end, this game is meaningless. I hate to lose,  but it's just practice right now.

They can try to make it seem important, but winning the Baytown Cup does not put you in the playoffs. After all, the playoffs are the ultimate goal.

This defense is scrappy enough to help reach that goal. Just need to score.

Wow, seems like they just can't get this offense to click. I haven't been to a real game yet so tell me this. Do you think they need to consider moving Duke back to QB and go back to a run first type offense, or do you think they can still get it going with Hamm?

Hamm had a decent game. The pick only came when he had 4 guys in his face and had to throw off his back foot. As for running, Adams was held to 3.3 yards a carry. The top rusher was the fullback, who had a lot of success on a play that the Rangers seemed to figure out in the fourth quarter.

They're going to have to throw the ball to win this year. They had such a good o-line last year to run behind. I'd like to see if Adams can throw the ball out of the backfield.

As for Sterling, I think they are getting better every snap as they gain experience. But we'll see if it translates to wins in district. They do have to cut down on penalties. 80 yards last week, 75 this week.

Both teams fought really hard and both sets of fans should be proud.

Do guys you think the play calling is an issue?

I'm not a coach, so I don't want to Saturday morning quarterback the play calling. But I will say this, we put up 14 points last week and 18 points this week. That will not get it done against most teams in district play. They are going to have to find a way to put more points on the board. The defense has improved a great deal this year, but asking them to hold every opponent to 2 touchdowns a week is a tall order. I'm sure the coaching staff is watching the film this morning, putting in a 6 day work week and will make the necessary adjustments.

Late to reply. Cant log in on my phone on the weekends..   

I will say this.. Defense played alot better then I expected. Just gave up 1 really big play to start the 2nd half.  As for our offense Ill say it again and again. We don't have a play make qt the Qb spot. Opposing teams after the 1st 2 drives will realize they don't have Duke back there and don't have to worry any more about the Qb running. Key on Adams and take him out of the game.  Now you have GCM trying to win with a weak passing game..  Duke had a couple nice catches but there was no time to get him the ball.  How do you take the ball out of your best play makers hands every play to only get him the ball 6-7 times a game.  

Late to reply. Cant log in on my phone on the weekends..   

I will say this.. Defense played alot better then I expected. Just gave up 1 really big play to start the 2nd half.  As for our offense Ill say it again and again. We don't have a play make qt the Qb spot. Opposing teams after the 1st 2 drives will realize they don't have Duke back there and don't have to worry any more about the Qb running. Key on Adams and take him out of the game.  Now you have GCM trying to win with a weak passing game..  Duke had a couple nice catches but there was no time to get him the ball.  How do you take the ball out of your best play makers hands every play to only get him the ball 6-7 times a game.  

It's practice. 

It's practice. 

So what are you saying, that it doesn't matter if they win or lose? Your right in that it has no bearing on the playoffs. But it is a precursor of things to come. It's not like preseason football in the NFL where half the starters don't play. GCM is playing with the starters the entire game and still having problems putting up points.  It was one of those games that would of built confidence in the kids minds, brought a sense of excitement to Baytown football and been brought up in conversations by the kids for years to come. I still bring up some of our "Practice Game" victories from when I played at Stephen F Austin way back in the day.

So what are you saying, that it doesn't matter if they win or lose? Your right in that it has no bearing on the playoffs. But it is a precursor of things to come. It's not like preseason football in the NFL where half the starters don't play. GCM is playing with the starters the entire game and still having problems putting up points.  It was one of those games that would of built confidence in the kids minds, brought a sense of excitement to Baytown football and been brought up in conversations by the kids for years to come. I still bring up some of our "Practice Game" victories from when I played at Stephen F Austin way back in the day.

I want to win them all, but non-district games are the time when you find out what kind of players you have. Coach Boyd knows he has M. Duke. He wants to see if Ham can play and now is the time. 

Like the song says: You got to know when to hold'em, know when to fold'em. I think you'll see some new faces on Friday and there is a reason Coach Boyd schedules the Open Week before district starts.

Relax. 

Coach Boyd is not holding this team back. It's about Larry's and Joe's.

I've been here since day 1. We have never played a playoff game in which we had the superior talent. Good players, just not enough.

You cant honestly tell me that you believe GCM would not be sitting at 2-0 right now if Duke is playing Qb.  You say its about Larry's and Joes.  Well GCM has good Larry's and Joes.  Larry or Joe just isn't in the right position to run the X's and O's..  

You cant honestly tell me that you believe GCM would not be sitting at 2-0 right now if Duke is playing Qb.  You say its about Larry's and Joes.  Well GCM has good Larry's and Joes.  Larry or Joe just isn't in the right position to run the X's and O's..  

Oh, I know they would be 2-0. Duke would have scored 3 TD's on their option plays.

They should have been 2-0 with Ham at QB. Just made some mistakes at QB and Special Teams. 

What I am saying is that I am not too concerned at this point. I've seen enough to feel like we can compete in our district and easy changes can be made if necessary.

Anyone see any Baytown teams getting strong enough to make it a couple of rounds deep in the playoffs any time in the next ten years?

Asking for a friend.

yeah, when yall consolidate into one big 6A school and keep the football participation numbers up each year or have only 2 HS in Baytown and keep the football participation numbers up at each of them.