Best coach in Texas.

king

​Why limit it to just 4 coaches?

​if its a big 4 then its 4 if math is correct. He asked a question also that you dodged. Also: who should he add?  

I know for me regardless of who he adds my opinion aint changing. Name the top two programs in this state currently. 

​if its a big 4 then its 4 if math is correct. He asked a question also that you dodged. Also: who should he add?  

I know for me regardless of who he adds my opinion aint changing. Name the top two programs in this state currently. 

You could list every coach, D1 and below.  Patterson and Briles are the top 2 and I would give Patterson a small edge.  The coaches at the two biggest universities have a lot to prove to me to pass either.  I don't believe Sumlin is in their class although he is a very good recruiter.  A little early with Strong but I have my doubts.  

You could also throw Mack in this discussion and I would still list him third.  And he's the only living coach to win a NC for a Texas school or play in a title game.  

Going against the grain again, but just a little... I'll pick Briles for #1. He is doing more with less than anybody in college football.  Facilities are rapidly improving around him because of his success,  but I still remember the lean years since Grant Teaff was coach there. Meanwhile, I can't knock Patterson at all. What he's done at TCU is phenomenal. Sumlin and Strong still have a lot to prove, as does Kingsbury.

Briles - Does more with less and still wonder what he could accomplish with Texas or A&M recruits

Patterson - if it was not for 2012 (7-6) and 2013 (4-8) would have him as No. 1

Sumlin

Strong

Sorry can't put Strong over Sumlin till he does better than 6 - 7 at Texas

Briles doesn't really do more with less, that would be what Patterson does. Briles gets high level recruits on a yearly basis, especially on the offensive side of the ball. 

I personally think Jarrett Stidham was the best qb in the 2015 class and Baylor got him. He also got Josh Gordon from Lamar who led the league in receiving in his you career already. He signed the best receiver I've seen come out of Texas in a good while with KD Cannon. He signed Terrance Williams from Ennis. He's had RG3 and numerous first round draft picks on the line of scrimmage. 

Briles is going to get some big time players in every class, on the other hand DeVonte Fields is the only big time player Payterson has ever signed out of high school. 

If Sumlin is in the mix having never even won a conference title, I don't think it's a stretch to put David Baliff in the mix for what he's doing at Rice with their academic requirements which are probably the most strict in the FBS. 

I would put Strong ahead of both of them though. 23-3 his last couple of years at Louisville with a BCS Sugar Bowl win over Florida and finishing tied for first in the conference in 2011. 

Briles doesn't really do more with less, that would be what Patterson does. Briles gets high level recruits on a yearly basis, especially on the offensive side of the ball.

I hope you do not really believe that - Baylor's Avg. recruiting class from 2010 - 2014 was 39.2 (highest class 31 in 2013) while TCU's Avg. recruiting class for the same period was 37.8 (highest class was 26 in 2011) so while neither has a bragging rights in regard to recruiting the case is that TCU has had better classes every year with the exception of 2014 and 2010.  So in reality both do a lot with not a lot.  With that Baylor has been 40-12 over the last 4 years while TCU has been 34-17 basically facing the same level of competetion - Advantage Briles.

On the position of Sumlin and Strong we could argue back and forth all day and spout statistics to support our case - the only difference here is I also think that Strong is a good coach and do not throw out hate against him the way the anti-Aggie crowd does against Sumlin - only thing that I feel is that Strong has yet to prove himself is a real conference like the Big 12 year in and year out as he made is rep in he Big East / ACC and in 2013 Strong's best year (12-1) he literally played only 1 ranked team and lost and in 2012 was not much better as facing any ranked teams - but he does  deserve credit for beating the #4 ranked and SEC team in the bowl game in 2012.

Strong is 43-22 as a head coach while Sumlin is 63-28 as a head coach - still believe that is a slight advantage Sumlin.

Edited by OldTimer

I hope you do not really believe that - Baylor's Avg. recruiting class from 2010 - 2014 was 39.2 (highest class 31 in 2013) while TCU's Avg. recruiting class for the same period was 37.8 (highest class was 26 in 2011) so while neither has a bragging rights in regard to recruiting the case is that TCU has had better classes every year with the exception of 2014 and 2010.  So in reality both do a lot with not a lot.  With that Baylor has been 40-12 over the last 4 years while TCU has been 34-17 basically facing the same level of competetion - Advantage Briles.

On the position of Sumlin and Strong we could argue back and forth all day and spout statistics to support our case - the only difference here is I also think that Strong is a good coach and do not throw out hate against him the way the anti-Aggie crowd does against Sumlin - only thing that I feel is that Strong has yet to prove himself is a real conference like the Big 12 year in and year out as he made is rep in he Big East / ACC and in 2013 Strong's best year (12-1) he literally played only 1 ranked team and lost and in 2012 was not much better as facing any ranked teams - but he does  deserve credit for beating the #4 ranked and SEC team in the bowl game in 2012.

Strong is 43-22 as a head coach while Sumlin is 63-28 as a head coach - still believe that is a slight advantage Sumlin.

​I'm not really sure how you figured those numbers up. I went from the time TCU entered the Big 12 in 2012. The first number is the national rank and the second is their Big 12 rank:

TCU classes: 2012(42)(7), 2013(42)(7), 2014(35)(6), 2015(29)(5)

The overall class average is 37th and 6.25 in the Big 12

Baylor classes: 2012(26)(3), 2013(27)(3), 2014(26)(3), 2015(37)(5)

The overall class average is 29th and 3.5 in the Big 12

Patterson's best class in the Big 12 was 5th while Briles hasn't finished with a class less than 5th in that same period. Patterson has a BCS Rose Bowl victory over a JJ Watt led Wisconsin team without a single 4 star recruit on the team while Briles has lost both of his BCS games with multiple 4 stars, better rosters than the opponents and gives up about 50 ppg in the process. Briles came to Baylor who was already in the Big 12 and went 8-16 his first two seasons, Patterson brought non-power 5 talent to the Big 12 and went 11-14. Neither was impressive but Patteson was still better.

Yeah, we can just disagree on Strong and Sumlin. I've never seen Strong lose a game where he was favored by probably 20+ like Sumlin lost with Keenum to So. Miss. I've never seen him produce back to back 10+ win seasons and I also never seen him win a conference title or BCS game like Strong has so we definitely won't agree there.

I don't hate on Sumlin and I certainly don't want him to fail. There aren't enough black coaches in the FBS as it is, I certainly don't want to see any fired, especially in the SEC where they fly Dixie like it veteran's day. I'm just calling it how I see it.

Edited by coog02

Got my Information from Rivals - And I think that with past on field accomplishments you should not include the 2015 year since those athletes have not stepped on he field yet.

Look both teams are both doing better than Texas and Texas A&M with the recruits they are getting - that is hard to argue with - which is better HELL flip a coin.  

On Strong - I may be wrong but do not think I am - but was not Texas favored against BYU and ended up losing 41-7?