How Much Should A HS Coach Do To Get His Players A Scholarship?

Well I'm just glad Coach Foreman seems to be taking a genuine interest in getting as many of his boys scholarships and the opportunity to get out of Beaumont. From D1 to Junior College, 12 signed this year.

http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams/?u=CENTRALJAGUARS&s=football

so agree, the number of Central/Ozen  kids get D1 scholarships compared to Ned/PNG,etc... is mind blowing!!!!!!

makes one wonder how you'all get spanked by small slow boys from Ned/PNG with all those athletes you have.

is your coaching that poor?

Honestly, why can't you all win more with all those athletes? 

so agree, the number of Central/Ozen  kids get D1 scholarships compared to Ned/PNG,etc... is mind blowing!!!!!!

makes one wonder how you'all get spanked by small slow boys from Ned/PNG with all those athletes you have.

is your coaching that poor?

Honestly, why can't you all win more with all those athletes? 

Not what I've been seeing lately. Must be the water….. Or maybe kids are working out in the offseason more ;)

2 things:

1. Coach Foreman isn't "getting" 12 of his players scholarships if he is almost any other school in the area. I don't care how much of a "genuine interest in getting as many of his players scholarships" he has.

2. I think it is absolutely fantastic for those kids. College ball on any level will be an amazing period in those kids' lives. But..you have to understand, 12 college players on a 5A football team isn't just a huge number of college players. It's no surprise that teams with fewer college kids can beat them. Better team ball, better coaching/preparation, and harder work will beat a team with a few stars.

Both Ozen and Central made the playoffs this year. Nederland and Central tied for the District Title while PNG finished 3rd and Ozen 4th. Coach Suggs was even voted the Coach of the Year by the other coaches in that district. So I think the idea that the two Beaumont schools have terrible coaching is kind of rediculous. One big difference that I do see in the mid county schools and BISD schools is support. Nederland staff has been in place for 20+ years and PNG staff has been in place for 7+ years. BISD runs through coaches like a hot knife through butter and that makes a huge difference. Coach Foreman inherited a 2-8 team and Coach Suggs inherited a 3-7 team and both have done well in turning those programs around in a short period of time. So PAM signed 14 kids this year does that mean Coach Harrison is a bad coach. NO! They had a bad year for a number of reasons, but not long ago they were a game away from state! Talent alone doesn't make the team, and every school and situation is different! I can assure you that the everyday obsticles that Ned and PNG have are completely different than PAM, Central, Ozen encounter on a day in and day out basis and vice versa. Some coaches spend more time helping kids get into college and that is a fact. Is that part of their job? That depends on the Coach in his beliefs! I think we should be very thankful that we have some Coaches that not only do a great job on the field, but truly care about the future of their student-athletes. Just my opinion!

Both Ozen and Central made the playoffs this year. Nederland and Central tied for the District Title while PNG finished 3rd and Ozen 4th. Coach Suggs was even voted the Coach of the Year by the other coaches in that district. So I think the idea that the two Beaumont schools have terrible coaching is kind of rediculous. One big difference that I do see in the mid county schools and BISD schools is support. Nederland staff has been in place for 20+ years and PNG staff has been in place for 7+ years. BISD runs through coaches like a hot knife through butter and that makes a huge difference. Coach Foreman inherited a 2-8 team and Coach Suggs inherited a 3-7 team and both have done well in turning those programs around in a short period of time. So PAM signed 14 kids this year does that mean Coach Harrison is a bad coach. NO! They had a bad year for a number of reasons, but not long ago they were a game away from state! Talent alone doesn't make the team, and every school and situation is different! I can assure you that the everyday obsticles that Ned and PNG have are completely different than PAM, Central, Ozen encounter on a day in and day out basis and vice versa. Some coaches spend more time helping kids get into college and that is a fact. Is that part of their job? That depends on the Coach in his beliefs! I think we should be very thankful that we have some Coaches that not only do a great job on the field, but truly care about the future of their student-athletes. Just my opinion!

Great post. 

Great post. 

Agree, I have had HC's that state it is there job to win HS games not College and others that take an interest in helping.

As far as the dynamics of Mid County and Beaumont/PtA  is right on the money.

look at the golf and Baseball programs which are a prime example of private lessons, select teams, summer golf tourneys etc...

unfortunately, as in most things, time and $ can buy championships.  -NY Yankees?

I believe a parent should contact schools and create highlight film for their child to have a chance at being recruited. Coaches may or may not have the time to shop your kid or simply may dislike them but kids mature and behavior sometimes change for the better. It's more of the parents duty to help there child become successful and not the coaches. JMO

2 things:

1. Coach Foreman isn't "getting" 12 of his players scholarships if he is almost any other school in the area. I don't care how much of a "genuine interest in getting as many of his players scholarships" he has.

2. I think it is absolutely fantastic for those kids. College ball on any level will be an amazing period in those kids' lives. But..you have to understand, 12 college players on a 5A football team isn't just a huge number of college players. It's no surprise that teams with fewer college kids can beat them. Better team ball, better coaching/preparation, and harder work will beat a team with a few stars.

Or maybe it has something to do with Coach Foreman spending his summers making sure his kids get to as many camps as possible. No, probably not :rolleyes:

Or maybe it has something to do with Coach Foreman spending his summers making sure his kids get to as many camps as possible. No, probably not :rolleyes:

Hypothetical situation.. Coach Foreman goes to....let's say Bridge City (example). He does the same thing there that he's doing at his current school. Making contacts, making sure his kids go to as many camps as possible, and...whatever else he's doing.

Do 12 kids from Bridge City sign to play college football next year?

Hypothetical situation.. Coach Foreman goes to....let's say Bridge City (example). He does the same thing there that he's doing at his current school. Making contacts, making sure his kids go to as many camps as possible, and...whatever else he's doing.

they probably wont have 12 but i bet they would have 1 or 2 more than they did. thats what this is all about, helping the children.

Absolutely not.  But as TRUMAN says above, he would likely get the most possible.  He literally spends his summer bringing kids to camps/workouts in hopes of getting them to the next level.  And as last year showed, he does a pretty good job of doing just that.  That's all I'm saying. 

One other thing worth mentioning about Toby: I have seen him offer to bring a kid from another school in another district that couldn't afford to go on his own to one of these camp trips he was making. Toby had absolutely nothing to gain by doing so, other than to help a kid with no ties to his program who was trying to get a scholarship to go to college.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I guess I'll be the one to say it. When I turn on my TV on Saturday and watch college football, from FCS down to D2 and 1AA...I sure don't see that many white kids named Braiden playing college football. Maybe dude at Central does do more than others to get his kids noticed, but the fact is, African American kids are typically better individual athletes than white kids. It should be a surprise to nobody that a team that is 99% AA would have more kids sign than a team that is 99% whitebread, I don't know if that makes me racist, it's just true. 

Alright, I guess I'll be the one to say it. When I turn on my TV on Saturday and watch college football, from FCS down to D2 and 1AA...I sure don't see that many white kids named Braiden playing college football. Maybe dude at Central does do more than others to get his kids noticed, but the fact is, African American kids are typically better individual athletes than white kids. It should be a surprise to nobody that a team that is 99% AA would have more kids sign than a team that is 99% whitebread, I don't know if that makes me racist, it's just true.

​Going to be interesting response once everyone can access the site again.

Katy enrollment: 3220

Cedar Hill enrollment : 2279

*I used these two teams because they've played each other for the last three 6A-D2 titles of which Cedar Hill has won the last two. They also have demographics close to the percentages you listed above.

Here are their signees off the two finalist for last year

Katy 2015(2 FBS/FCS signees) -

This is the hidden content, please

Cedar Hill(12 FBS/FCS signees) -

This is the hidden content, please

You may have a point?

Parents=it's your responsibility to teach your kiddos early/developing skills/incouraging them to be faithful/excel,volunteer youth coaches=your job to help develop/teach basic fundementals/teamwork,paid coaches=your job to help develop character that will remind them they can overcome defeat by leadership/integrity/hard work/teamwork/faithful =success.Rewards=if you are successful you will always be called Daddy/Coach.Side note=all kiddos have a father,many do not have a Daddy,if that kiddo is ever on any team & stays the course=means YOU Da Man cause you Care=Lasts a lifetime=Gradification you can't put a price on,wherever life leads you the kiddos look to find you.When you pass from this life,God will say job well done son.Kids you taught/coached will honor & speak of you to their children/grandchildren.