How Much Should A HS Coach Do To Get His Players A Scholarship?

You know what I've been thinking....I'm what's wrong with high school coaches? No...YOU sir is what's wrong with America. This whole thread is.

"What should a high school coach do for ME"... How about this. "What should I DO FOR ME?!"

Get in the weight room, get on the track, get off the couch this summer, get your grades up, stay out of trouble, stay long hours watching film, take criticism and fix it instead of cry about it....

This whole topic has officially pissed me off....what should someone else do for me...do it yourself!!!!! Do that and they'll help you I promise. Earn your help.

And guess what....even when all that happens...it still might not matter. Sometimes you're just not big enough, not strong enough, not fast enough, not smart enough,...NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

They only made 1 movie about kids like Rudy.... That's because that doesn't ever happen.

You know what I've been thinking....I'm what's wrong with high school coaches? No...YOU sir is what's wrong with America. This whole thread is.
"What should a high school coach do for ME"... How about this. "What should I DO FOR ME?!"
Get in the weight room, get on the track, get off the couch this summer, get your grades up, stay out of trouble, stay long hours watching film, take criticism and fix it instead of cry about it....
This whole topic has officially pissed me off....what should someone else do for me...do it yourself!!!!! Do that and they'll help you I promise. Earn your help.
And guess what....even when all that happens...it still might not matter. Sometimes you're just not big enough, not strong enough, not fast enough, not smart enough,...NOT GOOD ENOUGH.
They only made 1 movie about kids like Rudy.... That's because that doesn't ever happen.

Lol, my friend, at no time did I say that a coach should give a player any special treatment.also, if this conversation pisses you off, thin I suggest you abstain from social media. Now , What I said was, the coach should not INTENTIONALLY trash a player. I agree with everything you are saying about work ethic. I loved the movie Rudy, but for some reason there is a disconnect between what I say and how you understand what I say. It seems like you think I'm saying that a coach should give his stamp of approval to a kid who didn't work hard and has a bad attitude. That is not what I'm saying. I'm saying that a player should work hard and be accountable and coachable. Those are the kids a college should want. BUT, sometimes colleges will take a chance on a kid who may come up lacking in some of those areas. My point is, in the case of both of those kids, a highschool coach has no say in which one a college wants and should not attempt to discourage a college from recruiting either kid. All that being said it does seem that you feel that there are an over abundance of lazy kids with bad character. I agree with you, there are some of those. But there are also some petty vindictive coaches out there who don't have ALL of his kids best interest at heart. It would be nice if you saw it from both sides. You stated that you liked the movie Rudy. I suggest you watch the movie Varsity Blues and explore the other side of highschool football.

Oh yea, and as far as "me" being bad for this country. You should watch your mouth. You, my friend have no idea what I have sacrificed for my country.

Lol, my friend, at no time did I say that a coach should give a player any special treatment.also, if this conversation pisses you off, thin I suggest you abstain from social media. Now , What I said was, the coach should not INTENTIONALLY trash a player. I agree with everything you are saying about work ethic. I loved the movie Rudy, but for some reason there is a disconnect between what I say and how you understand what I say. It seems like you think I'm saying that a coach should give his stamp of approval to a kid who didn't work hard and has a bad attitude. That is not what I'm saying. I'm saying that a player should work hard and be accountable and coachable. Those are the kids a college should want. BUT, sometimes colleges will take a chance on a kid who may come up lacking in some of those areas. My point is, in the case of both of those kids, a highschool coach has no say in which one a college wants and should not attempt to discourage a college from recruiting either kid. All that being said it does seem that you feel that there are an over abundance of lazy kids with bad character. I agree with you, there are some of those. But there are also some petty vindictive coaches out there who don't have ALL of his kids best interest at heart. It would be nice if you saw it from both sides. You stated that you liked the movie Rudy. I suggest you watch the movie Varsity Blues and explore the other side of highschool football.

You stated, "a highschool coach has no say in which one a college wants and should not attempt to discourage a college from recruiting either kid"

If I'm a HS coach who has had nothing but trouble from Player A and a college coach asks me directly, "Is he a good kid? If you were me, knowing what you know, would you sign him?", what am I supposed to say?  I'm going to be honest and tell him that I would not sign him.  He asked me a direct question.  Do you want the high school coach to lie?  in some cases, the college is about to invest $50-250K on a kid.  Not only could a bad choice cause the college to waste a quarter of a million dollars but that one bad apple could spoil several others in the bunch once he gets there.

Now if you are suggesting that a certain coach in this area is behaving like the coach from Varsity Blues, then that's a different story.  And if that was really happening, I feel certain that coach would be exposed for what he is.  And that has not happened.

Oh yea, and as far as "me" being bad for this country. You should watch your mouth. You, my friend have no idea what I have sacrificed for my country.

If you are referring that you served our country, then I am forever grateful and immensely appreciative.  My shot was directed toward a seemingly entitlement attitude.  Which is how this thread seems to me...." I DESERVE FOR THE COACH TO HELP ME".. If that's not what you mean...it's not what you mean.  But this entire thread does seem a little like that.

And

Coaches do not intentionally trash a player.  If a coach tells a recruiter that a certain kid is lazy, has low character, misses practice, makes poor grades, or anything else that the coach thinks might hold them back as a college player then I commend them for that.  People (especially kids/young adults) need to hear honesty.  Coaches are of the few people I expect to tell kids things that other people wont.  That's how it works.  "But my mommy said I'm good"... well so what.

Besides...I thought we were talking about kids that need help getting recognition...  If a college coach is asking questions about a kid then the kid didn't need help.  Bottom line...give the coach a reason to promote your talents/work ethic.  Then if it doesn't work then you may not have been good enough.  And that's ok.

Oh and the movie reference...Varsity Blues...really? Rudy was based on events that actually happened.  Is it also true that in West Texas you can steal cop cars and nothing will happen if you're on the football team?...give me a break.

Here's a movie reference for you.  Friday Night Lights.  Let's say I'm the coach and a school asks me about Boobie Miles.  Here's what I'm saying:  He's a tremendous football player.  Super fast, electric with the ball, a star in the making.  But, he refuses to work out, doesn't do school work, and doesn't feel as tho he has to outwork anyone.  Probably because he's the best player I have regardless.

Is that trashing a kid? Nope.  It's honestly.  Because if that happens in college..I don't want my name associated with any negative surprises. 

Lol wow!!! I'm not sure if you really just don't know or if you do know and just ignore reality. You stated there were 2 types of kids who don't make it. I offered a 3rd option. You stated a coach would NEVER trash a player. Wow really. So coaches are the only people walking the earth that are perfect. Lol. My wife always says never and always don't exist. As far as athletes committing crimes and getting away with it, I won't go into that on here because it happens all the time. I could list several instances when this has happened. Especially when the kid is a star player. The coach covers up the crime an allows the kid to play for him through his senior year. Then tells every recruiter that the kid is a cancer. Selfish and petty. Like I said before if whatever the kid did was not bad enough to kick him off your team then why tell the recruiter. That's petty and selfish. You are allowing the kid to help you but won't allow him to help a school. Ooook now I'm done with this post. I have allowed you to prove that you are an advocate for coaches. I'm sorry but you drank the cool aid. You simply refuse to admitted that a coach can be wrong. That's scary. You remind me of all those great supporters of penn state and jerry Sandusky. Good bye.

I sure am sorry that you or your kid didn't get an athletic scholarship.  And I'm really sorry that it didn't happen because whatever high school coach you're dealing with told every college recruiter in the country you/your kid is just a bad person...or whatever he said.

Tell you what I'll do tho... I'll keep my eye out for a news article about a high school coach that did not allow a college recruiter to step foot on his campus and not allow a college recruiter to talk to a recruit.  Or one that deliberately trashes his players...sabotaging his players from getting an athletic scholarship.  And I'll keep my eye out for kids that commit felonies but get away with it because of the powers of their high school coach.  I'll definitely pay more attention

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. 

I'm sure #Cowboys received good character reference on La'el Collins from Les Miles. I know Cam Cameron told me he swears by the kid.

Did I say there weren't any low character athletes playing college or professional ball? I simply said the coach should tell if asked. And they do.

Both the Cowboys and LSU know everything there is to know about everyone that plays for them...sometimes they take a chance on them anyway. There aren't any surprises I promise. They know the chances they take.

Boy haven't checked site in a while, in my opinion both dueling banjos have some validity to their argument. I've worked for 2 great coaches, 2 sorry a-- coaches, and some regular ones. I've never witnessed a coach , even the 2 sorry coaches ( one who continually gets HC jobs) keep someone from getting to the next level if they want to get there. As HS coaches we do have relationships with colleges, so we are honest for future recruits possibilities. We also highlight the positives, but are honest with deficiencies also. College coaches, especially D-1, know the game, they watch tape, they know personalities of coaches, kids, and parents along with their college financial boosters. If a child is a D-1 athlete, there are plenty of schools that will take a chance on him no matter what his hs coach says. It is a game like getting a girlfriend and all parties are well versed in the chase. If the player is a marginal college player he needs to attend showcases and make grades ( student/athletes show their true character on their report cards, sad but TRUE) but coaches can help a little here. In this day of too much media, there are not many kids that are overlooked like there were in the 60's and 70's. Just my opinion. Go Rockets

This is crazy. Here's out it goes in 99% of the schools around TX. A coach on staff fills out cards all year long from schools around the country with the top players by class. This gets the kids name on said schools mailing list. If there is a big time kid in the program, the big time schools know about him and on down the line to a great kid/hard worker=DIII. Coaches come through asking about the kids on their list and the coach shares whatever info is asked for. Coaches have to be honest about kids or risk hurting the recruitment of future players. If a kid wants to play at the next level, 99% of the coaches I know will try to help them find a place. NO high school coach gets a kid a "full ride" or any $$$ for that matter. Video, grades, discipline history costs kids $$$ though. So does the kids entourage or "agent" be that uncle, brother or daddy that woulda played D-I if it weren't for his stupid coach. If your kid has problems acting right in the school or you as a parent act like a fool, I promise you a college coach will know about it and unless he is 5-star, kiss those playing days good-bye. Quit blaming a coach for not getting your son a scholarship.

This is crazy. Here's out it goes in 99% of the schools around TX. A coach on staff fills out cards all year long from schools around the country with the top players by class. This gets the kids name on said schools mailing list. If there is a big time kid in the program, the big time schools know about him and on down the line to a great kid/hard worker=DIII. Coaches come through asking about the kids on their list and the coach shares whatever info is asked for. Coaches have to be honest about kids or risk hurting the recruitment of future players. If a kid wants to play at the next level, 99% of the coaches I know will try to help them find a place. NO high school coach gets a kid a "full ride" or any $$$ for that matter. Video, grades, discipline history costs kids $$$ though. So does the kids entourage or "agent" be that uncle, brother or daddy that woulda played D-I if it weren't for his stupid coach. If your kid has problems acting right in the school or you as a parent act like a fool, I promise you a college coach will know about it and unless he is 5-star, kiss those playing days good-bye. Quit blaming a coach for not getting your son a scholarship.

Oh Lord, TruFan Master P is not going to be happy about this post not one bit.   Moderators might have to censor his rebuttal. 

Oh Lord, TruFan Master P is not going to be happy about this post not one bit.   Moderators might have to censor his rebuttal. 

High school football coaches sabotage kids all the time!  They always ruin a kids future..on purpose!  Varsity Blues was real!!

51096695.jpg

I'm actually in the recruiting field and your 100% wrong. These coaches see 100's of players film a day. If your HC or somebody in the know isn't working the phones or emails you won't get found by the big boys UNLESS you attend a summer camp and catch their eye.

You sound like a coach who's probably not returning phone calls and helping kids out.

You know 2 years ago I started a topic from hearing some older men talk at work. They were complaining that Ned doesn't help kids get recruited. I nearly got kicked off this board because how heated this conversation got. I didn't really know who had the problem because they hide behind names. It's was just hard to hear and see our kids, going ask other schools how to prepare films. It was hard to even see how other coaches was involved with helping their kids. I always openly said we have the best coaching staff, but only between Monday and Friday. I can speak this because I was one of the parents at the other schools asking questions.

Having been a member of the Texas High School Coaches Association for the past 35 years, I can say that in my experience that high school coaches have very little sway with most college coaches.  Many college coaches fancy themselves superior to the high school guys.  The exception might be with Junior Colleges and small programs where those coaches need help from where they can get it.  I worked for a head coach that prided himself at "getting" scholarships for his players.  I must admit he worked it very hard and was promoting any and all of his players.  The truth of the matter was that his influence with college coaches was compromised because they learned/knew that he was blinded by his allegiance to his players and had the reputation of "fudging" with 40 times and other stats.  What many good people fail to realize is that just because one is a "good" or "outstanding" high school player doesn't always translate to being a college player.  High School coaches should know which players might be able to play at the next level.  They should also know if any of their players really want to play in college.

You know 2 years ago I started a topic from hearing some older men talk at work. They were complaining that Ned doesn't help kids get recruited. I nearly got kicked off this board because how heated this conversation got. I didn't really know who had the problem because they hide behind names. It's was just hard to hear and see our kids, going ask other schools how to prepare films. It was hard to even see how other coaches was involved with helping their kids. I always openly said we have the best coaching staff, but only between Monday and Friday. I can speak this because I was one of the parents at the other schools asking questions.

Where did your boy sign Mayfield?

I agree with fun times as long as he is describing the athlete, but he left out one big one- physical dimensions and movement. No matter how hard that little engine tried to get over that hill, the diesel locomotive blew them all away and was coveted by all major universities. Their are different viewpoints in play, a college coach sees 6' 5", and 4.4 at a legit combine, while a parent uses emotion to plead, have you seen his tape- how hard he works- emotions clog vision - meat markets, for a fee will agree with mommy and daddy, and blame high school coaches, sorry but truth! I know there are exceptions, but we are talking 1-1,000,000,000

Having been a member of the Texas High School Coaches Association for the past 35 years, I can say that in my experience that high school coaches have very little sway with most college coaches.  Many college coaches fancy themselves superior to the high school guys.  The exception might be with Junior Colleges and small programs where those coaches need help from where they can get it.  I worked for a head coach that prided himself at "getting" scholarships for his players.  I must admit he worked it very hard and was promoting any and all of his players.  The truth of the matter was that his influence with college coaches was compromised because they learned/knew that he was blinded by his allegiance to his players and had the reputation of "fudging" with 40 times and other stats.  What many good people fail to realize is that just because one is a "good" or "outstanding" high school player doesn't always translate to being a college player.  High School coaches should know which players might be able to play at the next level.  They should also know if any of their players really want to play in college.

You are spot on!!!!

HS coaches are payed to win games #1. Having seen the HS recruiting game you are definitely right in that College coaches think they are better than HS coaches.

Usually hard work = BS. They want a particular machine with their specs for certain positions.

Exactly why Ned and PNG don't go D1.

You are spot on!!!!

HS coaches are payed to win games #1. Having seen the HS recruiting game you are definitely right in that College coaches think they are better than HS coaches.

Usually hard work = BS. They want a particular machine with their specs for certain positions.

Idk WOS sends kids to top college programs every year and they aren't just huge. Like most WOS kids they are fast but no bigger imo then any other schools kids.

You are spot on!!!!

No sir that is definitely wrong. I have it on good authority that the only reason certain kids do not receive athletic scholarships is because their high school coach deliberately keeps it from happening. In fact...I'm starting to think that the only time kids get that chance is because of their high school coach. Yep..that's it for sure.