Lamar Baseball=Old & Tired

RedBarn

It's years past time for Jim to hang it up, but it's obvious that the administration is going to let him hang around as long as HE wants, regardless of what it does to the once proud program.  When is the last time he has put a competitive team on the field?  When is the last time he recruited and landed a difference maker?  Collin Delhomme???   This program is as worn out and as old as Jim is right now. 

This argument has been thrown around for decades now. While I have been critical of Gilligan in the past (mostly for not recruiting in his own backyard), you have to look at his body of work as a whole and the constraints he has to work within. Lamar has a fairly small budget and not a lot of support. Overall, Coach Gilligan has done pretty well. Change does not equal success.

But if you put winner on the field like ULL the revenue will start coming in by way of attendance especially if you recruit more hometown boys. There is a very good talent pool in this area and more would stay if you have a successful program that consistently is in the big tournament. Gilligan has done well in the past but it is time for new blood.

I have all the respect in the world for what Jim has done in the past.  But the past is just that...past.   The program is now, and has been for half a decade,  mired in inferiority.  Recruiting is abysmal, the product on the field is putrid, and I haven't seen anything in years to make me think it's going to get better.   I know Jim loves Lamar Baseball, but he needs to let go.   It's obvious that the administration is waiting on him.  It's past time.