Atlanta Fire Chief Fired for Expressing Christian Beliefs

LumRaiderFan

You guys know I'm liberal when it comes to stuff like this, but I disagree with someone being fired for doing something like this in their own time. Had he been using public resources to print the book I would feel differently. The one thing I DID notice when I looked up an article from a REAL news source is that he got in trouble originally for internal distribution of his book. In my opinion that would have been a very reasonable reason to fire him, as it is NOT okay for a boss to force his beliefs on his employees like that, and it would be reasonable to assume that employees under him who do not share his beliefs would still feel obligated to accept and possibly even read the book out of fear of retribution or losing favor with him. That being said, the reasoning behind the actual termination was based on his beliefs about homosexuality. even though I disagree with many Christians and conservatives with their beliefs and treatment of homosexuals, as long as this guy was not actively discriminating against them in the workplace, I don't see how he can be fired for holding common Christian beliefs and writing a book about them OUTSIDE of work.

Being fired from your job for your believes is BS and had he been spewing the book of Islam he would have the President and every other liberal in the nation coming to his rescue! The tolerant left is only tolerant if you agree with them!

Please post this REAL news source story you speak of...I had no idea that Heritage (Daily Signal) wasn't a REAL news source.

Probably way too conservative to be REAL.

I googled it and found it on fox, I believe. Forgive me for not trusting the daily signal. They have a way of slanting the truth at times

Crickets...must have actually read the link you posted...LOL.

I was watching a basketball game. You did read my original post right? I said that IF the issue had been the distribution of his book to employees, I would've agreed with the firing (well, depending on how he did it, anyway), but that i in fact disagreed with him being fired for being a Christian who expounded on common Christian beliefs in a book he wrote outside of work. In the same vein, were a homosexual fired for being homosexual, I would disagree. But if the homosexual was fired for forcing literature on his employees regarding his support of homosexuality, I would not have a problem with him being fired.

none of know if it was a stretch or not. I wasn't saying he forced anything, just giving an allusion. but he MIGHT have forced it on them. I have no clue. Whether you feel forced or not might also depend on who your boss is and the relationship you have with them. I generally felt forced in years past to make a pretty good donation to the United Way every year because we were strongly "encouraged" by our school board to meet a goal as a school. but because of the way our school board functioned (or didn't), the majority of us gave when we couldn't afford it or gave more than we wanted to out of fear of possible consequences. were we forced? Technically not. but realistically, yes. Now, all that having been said, that isn't the real issue on this particular case, and I've stated that I agree with y'all that he should not be fired. but I did want to provide an example that I personally have experienced where my boss(es) forced me to do something unrelated to my job that I did not want to do.