WHAT HAPPENED TO THE MEANING OF "STATE"

ladybug33

I am of the opinion that coaches picking or flipping for a neutral site is a really nice a traditional part of HS football and outdoor weather is and will always be a part of football at every level. If parents will not show up because of weather then shame on them. I like the excitement of waiting to see were the game will be held. I think its part of the game. The single site games is purely a money game by the UIL. I disagree with it and and you will be hard pressed to have me believe that a Dallas area team playing in their own back yard does not have a advantage for themselves. How bout a 15 min ride to the game while the opposing team travels 4 hours the day of the game because their school cannot afford to stay overnight. It happens. I just today heard of a team traveling 3.5 hours to a Dallas area playoff game and showing up just in time to run out for warm ups. Did it cause them to loose a very close game probably not but who knows. I strongly dislike this rule. Thats my worthless humble opinion. I will always like being the only team playing at that place on that night or day.  

I think they should have some games in Austin though, not all HS Championships should leave the Capital, It's tradition. :)

You keep saying Austin is tradition for state championships???? Since when?
PNG played at Texas Stadium (Irving, TX) in the 70's against Plano 20 minutes up the road no less. In 99 they played at Astrodome. I watched WOS lose to Paris in the late 80's at Kyle Field. Hell Port Arthur High School lost to Highland Park in the 50's at PORT ARTHUR in the state championship game.
Big reason to have them all at the same venue is to televise all the games. Which is awesome.
Do you know where Louisiana plays its state championship games? I'll give you a big easy hint. It's not the state capitol.

I do think a rotation between NRG, Cowboys and Alamodome would be great for different fan basses, but its hard to argue that Jerrys World is not the best venue.

You keep saying Austin is tradition for state championships???? Since when?
PNG played at Texas Stadium (Irving, TX) in the 70's against Plano 20 minutes up the road no less. In 99 they played at Astrodome. I watched WOS lose to Paris in the late 80's at Kyle Field. Hell Port Arthur High School lost to Highland Park in the 50's at PORT ARTHUR in the state championship game.
Big reason to have them all at the same venue is to televise all the games. Which is awesome.
Do you know where Louisiana plays its state championship games? I'll give you a big easy hint. It's not the state capitol.

I do think a rotation between NRG, Cowboys and Alamodome would be great for different fan basses, but its hard to argue that Jerrys World is not the best venue.

respected badndn, I like UT for HS championship venues, and A&M, even though I know A&M is not in Austin, still excellent places to play at. Louisiana, not sure where they play anything except the Big Easy. Nothing will change it's Dallas Area HSFS Championship, they should just change the name.

respected badndn, I like UT for HS championship venues, and A&M, even though I know A&M is not in Austin, still excellent places to play at. Louisiana, not sure where they play anything except the Big Easy. Nothing will change it's Dallas Area HSFS Championship, they should just change the name.

Louisiana plays all state championship games under a roof in New Orleans where it belongs. Arizona, Georgia, Indiana, Missouri, Michigan, Minnesota and Washington do the same thing as well. If you have a dome with great amenities you use it. 

Ok. What do you think they should change the name too?

I do like the rotation idea. Dallas, Houston, San Antonio etc.

The issue with moving it is it makes no sense for small schools. Only WOS, Newton, Navasota,Cy Ranch, and Katy this year would Houston be close games.

San Antonio's closest team was Cedar Park and Mason.

Yes large schools usually have houston schools but for 15 other schools Arlington works best. How would Canadian fans feel having to drive all the way to Houston to play Mason? And then you have sixman where the state teams are around Abilene and westward. They play at Cowboys now and would it be fair telling all four of those teams, "hey y'all are playing in houston so drive 7-8 hours."

Katy is the team that hates it but honestly 6A and 5A are owned by DFW anyway right now. Katy would have had trouble in the 2nd Round up there.

@Matt_SteppTOC: Seeing all the annual complaining about #UILState needing to be moved away from @ATTStadium #txhsfb

@downsdavid: @Matt_SteppTOC It's so self-serving. All the high-school athletes want to play in Cowboys stadium. They'd be pissed if it were moved.

@Matt_SteppTOC: FWIW I'd like to see #UILState move to Houston and San Antonio but right now I dont think either meets the locker room requirement #txhsfb

@Matt_SteppTOC: The Alamodome has a major facelift scheduled in anticipation of the Final Four coming that facelift may get them in the #UILState mix

Great time watching 10 title games,would like for the 3 commentators to speak equally on ea.game.You can tell the bragging is one sided in favor of metroplex/centex/east texas(sounded at times like a few teams had no chance of winning.On another note as a whole 7 refs can't call it right as re-play makes them look bad,sometimes 1 sided.One of 2 refs I talked to that were just watching the title games(from San Antonio  chapter that stayed at our hotel said some calls were bad considering $500 ea. to ref callin a playoff game is the norm 4a -6a.Ennis/CP game was the worst crew.Proud of WOS/Newton win/lose,kids played hard,fans came out in support.Cowboy stadium is great for all -concessions are expensive esp w/a family.Saw my 1st $25 16 oz hamburger,nachos/soda=$16,bottle water $5

Up until a few years ago the state championship games where played on multiple weekends, so you could have the SC games at multiple sites. Now all SC games are played on one weekend and there is only one place that can handle that many games in one weekend. That's why all SC games are played at AT&T.

Up until a few years ago the state championship games where played on multiple weekends, so you could have the SC games at multiple sites. Now all SC games are played on one weekend and there is only one place that can handle that many games in one weekend. That's why all SC games are played at AT&T.

They only played on multiple weekends because only three teams made the playoffs. One team went D1 and the other two D2. Therefore D1 only played 5 playoff games to win a State Title. Hence finishing the week before D2 who had to play 6 games to win it all.

This whole argument is ridiculous. Lol Dallas is a much bigger and BETTER venue for the UIL to host the state championships. My experiences at AT&T Stadium have been far better than any time I went to Austin for the games.
Better for the fans. Better for the kids. Jerry gives the UIL a great deal. I don't see any problems with it.