Transfers in the FCS

CraigS

The transfer process is complete BS. Coaches can move without any consequences. Athletes are screwed.

I think a player with grade or discipline issues needs to sit a year. If you took care of your business off the field, you should be able to transfer without limitations. You are recruited by one coach and the HC has no loyalty or relationship with any of them.

Gotta stop. Blood pressure is rising,

Great. Especially for those D1 kids that RS then graduated in four years and have an extra year of eligibility, but didn't get the PT they had hoped for. Dustin Long graduated from A&M then spent extra year at SHSU and had a great year for himself and SHSU. I would argue that he helped jumpstart the program's current 10 year run and reputation as a FCS powerhouse program.

Apparently most on this board do not share the same opinions of individual team boards. 

i agree with all of the above post as far as no trash and getting good kids that just aren't getting the PT they had hoped for at bigger schools.

Another argument stands toward the coaches, claiming the lack of ability to "coach up a kid" as compared to just recruiting transfers..

I've heard a lot of crap from former Delaware fans and the 3 playoff opponents of Keeler and the SHSU Kats....17 transfers of 90 on the roster....the opponents somehow think it's "unfair" or not as a "quality" win....because you have transfers....In Delaware, Keeler is only given credit for his 3 NC appearances and 1 NC win due to transfers...(Flacco - Ravens)

I've even read on BRI where LU fans seem to hate transfers, any time something goes negative in the locker rooms - it's because of the transfers.

My guess in at least some (even a lot) of the cases it's not the transfer causing the problem, rather than the one who lost his spot to the transfer. He gets pissed, momma is pissed and then his buddy's are pissed and have attitude toward the transfer....and then of course it's said to be the transfers fault, cause if the coach didn't take transfers this internal turnmoil wouldn't exist.....in fact, I'd say this is more than likely the cause more times than not....

It goes like this....

Kid recruited out of HS...gets red shirted (due to all conf player ahead of him) sits his first to years thinking it's his turn for his Jr and Sr years....after all he paid his dues...waited his turn....then....the unthinkable...the FBS transfer comes with same years of eligibility left....only to learn...you will be a career backup....and then the attitude begins! 

And that's my point. .. it's the individual. I named many schools. ..I only mentioned LUs fan board BRI... because I'm also a member there and have personal friends (patents of players) and the first thing said about a transfer is usually negative. ...

of the 19 transfers that started on SHSUs roster 2 were kicked off for "not learning their lesson"....I'd take that ratio any day..... as long as the bad are culled.

So to answer another of my questions: Why do transfers get a bad rap? Is it because some transfers got in trouble at their previous school and didn't learn anything.

But that's a small minority from what I'm actually seeing in the 2 FCS schools I follow LU and SHSU.

There's talk on katfans.... with mixed opinion of him.
From what I've read of Keeler he surely doesn't mind tranfer QBs... and from what I've seen this season. ... he will not tolerate bringing baggage.....

I heard just today that Sam keeps a pretty close rein on ALL players. They had better be going to class, and performing or else.... else they can go somewhere else.

I heard just today that Sam keeps a pretty close rein on ALL players. They had better be going to class, and performing or else.... else they can go somewhere else.

Their 8:00 am class is with the Coach. They can't miss that class and it certainly keeps them from staying out all night.