Little Cypress-Mauriceville 34 Bridge City 7/Final

WOSgrad

In a battle of Orange County 10-4A-I teams, the Bridge City Cardinals travel to Orange to take on the Little Cypress-Mauriceville Bears.  Cris Stump's Cardinals come into the game with a 1-5 record on the season and 0-2 in district play after falling to Jasper last week, 39-9.  Meanwhile, Randy Crouch's Bears took their record to 4-3 on the season and a perfect 3-0 district mark by besting Cleveland, 35-20.

Join Gay Stelly and John Kimbrough from Battlin' Bear Stadium for the 7:30 pm kickoff by tuning your radio into AM 1600 KOGT or by clicking the following link:

http://www.mainstreamnetwork.com/listen/player.asp?station=kogt-am&

Follow Greater Orange Area Football on AM 1600 KOGT and Your Source for Sports in Southeast Texas, SETXsports!

We lost our starting quarterback and starting running back early in the first quarter. The starting qb is also the starting safety, and the middle linebacker got moved to qb, so,we lost two of our best position players on defense, too. The game should have been closer without those injuries. The LCM coaches called a very good game, and their kids executed. Good game.

I don't think the Cardinals are having a bad year, we've got a bad program. This same group of kids won the STJFL senior super bowl four years ago, and lost only one game in seventh grade. It's sad to watch because they haven't moved forward AT ALL since they were turned over to BCISD. In fact, the kids play much, MUCH worse than they did as 11 and 12 year olds. No accountability, no hitting, bad playcalling, and horrible player management. There's a very real possibility that our qb ripped up his knee last night, and nobody was surprised when it happened. The most valuable player on the field(qb in a spread offense) is playing every down on defense as a safety AND fielding punts. Not counting the fact that we call qb runs at least ten times per game. What happens when that kid goes down? It's just horrific to watch. If that was my kid, a fantastic athlete who can easily pitch at the next level, he would never put the pads on for the Cardinals again.

We lost our starting quarterback and starting running back early in the first quarter. The starting qb is also the starting safety, and the middle linebacker got moved to qb, so,we lost two of our best position players on defense, too. The game should have been closer without those injuries. The LCM coaches called a very good game, and their kids executed. Good game.

I don't think the Cardinals are having a bad year, we've got a bad program. This same group of kids won the STJFL senior super bowl four years ago, and lost only one game in seventh grade. It's sad to watch because they haven't moved forward AT ALL since they were turned over to BCISD. In fact, the kids play much, MUCH worse than they did as 11 and 12 year olds. No accountability, no hitting, bad playcalling, and horrible player management. There's a very real possibility that our qb ripped up his knee last night, and nobody was surprised when it happened. The most valuable player on the field(qb in a spread offense) is playing every down on defense as a safety AND fielding punts. Not counting the fact that we call qb runs at least ten times per game. What happens when that kid goes down? It's just horrific to watch. If that was my kid, a fantastic athlete who can easily pitch at the next level, he would never put the pads on for the Cardinals again.

Apparently Shugart's parents agree with you about not playing. I said when he did it that I didn't blame him or the family and would have done the same. Too much on the line for that kid to mess his body up playing QB in his secondary sport.

Prayers for all the kids injured last night and for full and speedy recoveries.

[quote name="sportsfreak2008" post="1563070" timestamp="1413638948"]

I've watched BC in the past. They are not a team of years past, although to lose key players in the beginning of the game, still score and only have LCM score 34 says a lot. BC is a young team as well. Good luck BC! Keep your heads up![/quote). LCM started running the ball in the 2nd half and they pulled a lot of our starters that's why the score isn't more. Crouch did a good job in the last few games by not putting 50 to 60 points on the board. I will say both Bc quarter backs impressed me, they ran very hard.

[quote name="sportsfreak2008" post="1563070" timestamp="1413638948"]

I've watched BC in the past. They are not a team of years past, although to lose key players in the beginning of the game, still score and only have LCM score 34 says a lot. BC is a young team as well. Good luck BC! Keep your heads up![/quote).  

LCM started running the ball in the 2nd half  to run the clock down and they pulled a lot of our starters that's why the score isn't more. Crouch did a good job in the last few games by not putting 50 to 60 points on the board. I will say both Bc quarter backs impressed me, they ran very hard.

Apparently Shugart's parents agree with you about not playing. I said when he did it that I didn't blame him or the family and would have done the same. Too much on the line for that kid to mess his body up playing QB in his secondary sport.

Prayers for all the kids injured last night and for full and speedy recoveries.

his grandparents didn't want him playing, but I see shugs often as him and my brother are really good friends and it is eating at him to not have played football

• 2 weeks later...

So - as a cardinal backer, you are telling someone NOT to play?  That sounds a little misleading.  How can you back a program when you are not supporting the efforts?  I am always amazed to read about the exploits of the little league teams.  I wonder - did you play Jasper/Newton and Kirbyville in those playoffs?  Were you playing as an 11-12 year old team against other 11-12 year olds?  I understand BC plays about 10 sophs on Friday nights.  That is 15-16 year old kids against 17-18 year old kids?  I know a little but about physiology and it seems to me like anyone would realize a 15 year old kid is not as strong or as skilled as a 17 year old kid?  How can you compare little league super bowls to varsity athletics?  You must have been the super coach on that team and lived out your dream of coaching?  Why not take that to BC and teach your knowledge to that program?  That would make you a cardinal backer?