Rick Perry in some trouble

Mr. Buddy Garrity

Voters where?  Maybe for the US Senate?  He has no chance (ZERO) for the presidency and he was all but dead in Texas.  Maybe it will revive his career here.

That is the Democrats mantra over the years. It is over, the Dems have control and the Republicans are finished as a party (or any individual).

I have been hearing of Rick Perry's demise every election. Even some Republicans claim "this is the year" we get another candidate. The latest was in 2010 when popular Kay Bailey Hutchison retired from the Senate to announce her candidacy for governor. On some forums that I read she was already crowned the new queen of Texas. Oops..... Hutchison was long gone at the end and was beaten by the "unpopular" Perry by 31% in the primary. So much for the queen. 

Perry won his first election in 2002 with just under 58% of the popular vote. In 2006 with four candidates on the November ballot, he won a with only 39% as the votes were split over four people with Republican Carole Rylander/Strayhorn running as an independent when she lost the primary. She pulled almost 20% from Perry and he still outdistanced his closest challenger, a Democrat, by 10%. 

In 2010 with the typical one Democratic challenger, Perry popped right back to 55% and a 13% margin over his challenger, the claimed savior of the Democrat Party in Texas, Bill White. 

Perry was the longest serving governor in TX history and could probably been serving as long as he wanted. He lost almost no support (less than 3%) from his first win and his last. 

It is the same when the Dems took full control over the US Congress with Obama's first term win. The same calls continued then and even today in this forum that the Republicans are dead as a party. Well that dead party took back the House in a fairly historic change of seats two years into Obama's presidency and will continue to hold it for the last 6 years of the Obama administration. The Dems are really worried that they may be about to lose the Senate also in November. 

But the chorus is still the same, Perry/Republicans are all but dead. Maybe it is to try to convince people not to show up at the voting booth. You can bet that the national Democrats and the Texas Democrats don't think the GOP is all but dead and had Perry decided to run, it would not change. The best thing that has helped Texas Democrats is Perry stepping away after 14 years in office as at least now they can cling to a hope of a victory, slim that it is. 

Voters where?  Maybe for the US Senate?  He has no chance (ZERO) for the presidency and he was all but dead in Texas.  Maybe it will revive his career here.

Go look at every conservative page in existence on Facebook. They're all, without exception, posting picture after picture of a drunk-off-her-arse Travis County DA, and a picturesque Perry mugshot some are describing as "stoic" and "defiant."

Trust me. I know the conservative base. That appeals to it. And while I don't think Perry will win the primary either way, this will be a vote-earner for him during the process.

That is the Democrats mantra over the years. It is over, the Dems have control and the Republicans are finished as a party (or any individual).

I have been hearing of Rick Perry's demise every election. Even some Republicans claim "this is the year" we get another candidate. The latest was in 2010 when popular Kay Bailey Hutchison retired from the Senate to announce her candidacy for governor. On some forums that I read she was already crowned the new queen of Texas. Oops..... Hutchison was long gone at the end and was beaten by the "unpopular" Perry by 31% in the primary. So much for the queen. 

Perry won his first election in 2002 with just under 58% of the popular vote. In 2006 with four candidates on the November ballot, he won a with only 39% as the votes were split over four people with Republican Carole Rylander/Strayhorn running as an independent when she lost the primary. She pulled almost 20% from Perry and he still outdistanced his closest challenger, a Democrat, by 10%. 

In 2010 with the typical one Democratic challenger, Perry popped right back to 55% and a 13% margin over his challenger, the claimed savior of the Democrat Party in Texas, Bill White. 

Perry was the longest serving governor in TX history and could probably been serving as long as he wanted. He lost almost no support (less than 3%) from his first win and his last. 

It is the same when the Dems took full control over the US Congress with Obama's first term win. The same calls continued then and even today in this forum that the Republicans are dead as a party. Well that dead party took back the House in a fairly historic change of seats two years into Obama's presidency and will continue to hold it for the last 6 years of the Obama administration. The Dems are really worried that they may be about to lose the Senate also in November. 

But the chorus is still the same, Perry/Republicans are all but dead. Maybe it is to try to convince people not to show up at the voting booth. You can bet that the national Democrats and the Texas Democrats don't think the GOP is all but dead and had Perry decided to run, it would not change. The best thing that has helped Texas Democrats is Perry stepping away after 14 years in office as at least now they can cling to a hope of a victory, slim that it is. 

I asked votes where.  He has no chance nationally.  None.  Zero.  Don't believe me?  Watch if he runs how poorly he shows.  He has been popular in Texas for a long time.  I understand he does well in Texas.  A cheese sandwich running as a Republican in Texas would do well.  And I stated this might play well for him in the State.  My point, which I guess was missed, is that this will do little, if anything, for any bid he might have planned for the Presidency.  I would bet heavily, very heavily, on that premise.

It's really going to be interesting to see how this plays out.  My gut feeling is that Slick will not only come out unscathed but will end up being portrayed and seen as the victim while giving him a platform to push the "I stand for what is right" diatribe thus propelling his popularity with voters.  I am not a Perry fan but I do believe that this indictment was politically driven and done so by the same hounds that exposed Palin and Christie and under the circumstances may end up backfiring! 

Did it backfire on Palin and Christie? And Christie is a petty decent guy, but Palin is disgusting.

People outside of TEXAS think that Perry is an Idiot and everything is bigger in TEXAS even Idiots.

Did it backfire on Palin and Christie? And Christie is a petty decent guy, but Palin is disgusting.

I agree with you there and it absolutley did not backfire on either (more specifically Palin).  However, my  original intent was to state that it COULD backfire.  These types of political sabotage have been the norm in places like China for decades and it looks as if this could become a popular stategy in the U.S.. I sure hope not, our election process has become enough of a circus already!

I agree with you there and it absolutley did not backfire on either (more specifically Palin). However, my original intent was to state that it COULD backfire. These types of political sabotage have been the norm in places like China for decades and it looks as if this could become a popular stategy in the U.S.. I sure hope not, our election process has become enough of a circus already!

how was he sabotaged?

We do.  The ability to read also helps us to know the correct usages of "there," "their," and "they're."

When you refer to "we" in your statement, are you referring to all of the lefties that participate on this board? If you are, I would suggest that, as a group, the left would be somewhat hypocritical in looking askance at the use of the English language by the right.

People outside of TEXAS think that Perry is an Idiot and everything is bigger in TEXAS even Idiots.

But that isn't what I answered. I don't think Perry has a chance on the national stage.

The statement I highlighted and answered said that he was "all but dead in Texas".