Hemphill Hornets 2014

Pitiful, athletes have lost interest in the program. A major turn around is needed in their program. It's going to take a
coaching staff to come in and convince the kids to buy into the program. You have to have some kids who are willing to work
throughout the summer. I can remember when Hemphill had some good football teams. I hope Hemphill turns their program around
but I don't see that in the near future.

I honestly believe that Hemphill will be much improved this season.  I don't know Coach Lanius (I'm sure that's not the correct spelling) but I know just about everybody in Hemphill and the town seems to be behind him and I've talked to lots of kids over there that have nothing but very good things to say about him.  Seems like the kids are buying into his program and given some time I think he will absolutely turn this program around.  It will take him another season or two but good things are coming for Hemphill, IF, and only IF Lanius is left alone and the athletics program is not micromanaged by the higher ups like what has been done over the past 5 or so years.  I can tell you this, after having a season as bad as last year coupled with being thrown into this horror movie of a district if Lanius is wiling to stay, the people (admin, school board) better take notice that you have a guy that wants to be there.  Give the guy a couple more years and I think you will see a big turn around, he already has participation levels way up.

I think given time and patience Coach will do better than recent years with hemphill. Their district the next 2 years is just brutal, which is why I think he needs atleast 3 years to be properly judged. At 7 on 7 early in the summer they had almost 40 kids out. Who all do they have non-district wise? I would assume West Sabine and I know San Augustine is on there as well.

Who all do they have non-district wise? I would assume West Sabine and I know San Augustine is on there as well.

Aug. 29 - Hull-Daisetta, 7:30pm

Sept. 5 - West Sabine, 7:30pm

Sept. 12 - at West Hardin, 7:30pm

Sept. 19 - Burkeville, 7:30pm

Sept. 26 - at San Augustine, 7:30pm

Playing a weak pre-season schedule does nothing to improve your football program.

Right now Hemphill needs confidence. Chances are they get 3 wins out of that schedule. And with the district they are in you can't blame the coach for wanting to have some games where he should win more times than not.

and when you play Newton, Corrigan-Camden, Garrison, and teams like that you will not be prepared. A Weak preseason schedule just gives a false sense of being good. Set your standard to weaker lower class teams will set a lower standard for your team to
accomplish.
As far as smart coaching, it does not appear that that has been working for Hemphill. A weak schedule just gives the coach some
wins to look good on his record and keep his job. If you are satisfied with that, then keep doing it, and several years from now
you will be in the same position you are now.

and when you play Newton, Corrigan-Camden, Garrison, and teams like that you will not be prepared. A Weak preseason schedule just gives a false sense of being good. Set your standard to weaker lower class teams will set a lower standard for your team to
accomplish.
As far as smart coaching, it does not appear that that has been working for Hemphill. A weak schedule just gives the coach some
wins to look good on his record and keep his job. If you are satisfied with that, then keep doing it, and several years from now
you will be in the same position you are now.

First I would like to say that HD, WS, and SA are not weak teams and that most likely Hemphill will have to play lights out in order to even have a chance to win these games.  Hemphill is in a rebuilding process and it's a true rebuild from the ground up from coaching staff, kids, system, and fans.....  It all has to be rebuilt...  You cannot do that by winning 0 games, you have to start by instilling a sense of self worth and confidence..  A team like Hemphilll needs to wins a few games early and do everything they can to keep all players healthy for district play.  I think Coach Lanius has mapped out a good non district schedule for Hemphill and if everybody will give the guy some time he will have Hemphill back to form within 3 years.

Save your comments, in three years you can post them again. But, I do wish Hemphill the best.

I'm not going to "save my comments"!  This is a freaking message board for posting comments and this thread was created to discuss the Hemphill Hornets.  It's VERY clear that you have an axe to grind with somebody in Hemphill and if ANYONE that has posted on this thread needs to "save thier comments", it's you! 

I'm not going to "save my comments"!  This is a freaking message board for posting comments and this thread was created to discuss the Hemphill Hornets.  It's VERY clear that you have an axe to grind with somebody in Hemphill and if ANYONE that has posted on this thread needs to "save thier comments", it's you!

How dare you rebuke the omnipotent purpleeagle. Lol

Wow, when I said save your comments, I did not mean for you to not comment. I meant in three years I think Hemphill's program
will be very little improved because of a weak schedule. I would love to see Hemphill succeed and get better. Did not mean to
make you mad. I am not against Hemphill. This is the new coach's second year I believe. I just believe Hemphill needs a better
class of opponents to succeed. I hope I am wrong. I wish the best of luck to the second year coach and Hemphill. We simply
disagree on the class of opponents it takes to raise your program up.

Wow, when I said save your comments, I did not mean for you to not comment. I meant in three years I think Hemphill's program
will be very little improved because of a weak schedule. I would love to see Hemphill succeed and get better. Did not mean to
make you mad. I am not against Hemphill. This is the new coach's second year I believe. I just believe Hemphill needs a better
class of opponents to succeed. I hope I am wrong. I wish the best of luck to the second year coach and Hemphill. We simply
disagree on the class of opponents it takes to raise your program up.

Understood, but trust me, when you are rebuilding from the ground up you will defeat your purpose by arranging an 0-10 schedule from the get go.  You have to recognize and accept your teams ability and begin from there and work up.  I honestly believe that WS, SA, and HD are teams that will be really good games for Hemphill in terms of testing the team and more than likely they may win 1 of those 3.  The other two non-district games should be "for sure wins" which will help build pride and give the team a sense of accomplishment.  It's called baby steps, and that's what it takes for a succesful rebuild.   I do agree that teams such as Newton, CC, and Garrison should have a few non district games against very tough opponents.  These teams expect to make the playoffs and need to see that type of opponent early, but IMO even those teams should not try and schedule to much to early.  Remember, these top tier teams are going to be more physical which increases your chances of losing players to injury.  Nothing worse than losing an impact player for the season against a non-district opponent.  In this district with Newton, CC, Garrison, and Crockett losing one key player could make the difference in winning the district and coming in 3rd or 4th place, plus this district is most definately going to battle test you for the playoffs.

In reality very few coaches can come into a school and have a winning season from 0-10 the year before. If it is his second year there he might show improvement. In small schools the kids have to buy into the system. It takes longer than two years of kids playing in systems for them to understand and practice what the coach is trying to do. The younger kids take time and get better through repetition. Time the freshmen are seniors there is a better chance of success simply because of understanding the offense and defense and responsibilities. Not every school has the athletes to just take off and not look back with success from no success. An 0-10 team could have trouble scheduling games with better teams. Everybody wants to play you for homecoming but there are not homecoming games every week of the season. I believe a successful program has to be built and it takes time. Just my two cents worth.

is there any impact players on this years squad or any players coming up that will help turn things around?

If I remember correctly the QB is a pretty good player and they had a freshman rb/wr on the JV that was pretty good as well. I would think he gets chances at the varsity level

If I remember correctly the QB is a pretty good player and they had a freshman rb/wr on the JV that was pretty good as well. I would think he gets chances at the varsity level

The talent is on it's way back in Hemphill, there are some really good underclassmen.  A couple more years and Hemphill will be back on the map.