Famous Jameis

Sooo, who do you prefer- Jameis or Mariotta?

If I was drafting and had my choice, I wouldn't want either... Neither QB is an Andrew Luck. Neither can step in and drive an NFL offense. If I had to pick, I'd take Mariotta, simply because he has a whole lot less baggage than Winston. Both have exceptionsal skills and God-given talent, but so did Jamarcus Russell & Matt Leinart.

Winston is more ready for the NFL than Mariotta. It all depends on the off the field stuff. As for Mariotta, he will have to prove that a 1 read spread guy can make it in the NFL.

this is all correct. IMO, I don't think Mariotta will EVER become a quality qb in the NFL. He might become a serviceable backup or one of these starters that plays 2-3 seasons on a terrible team and you never hear from them again, but I don't see him excelling. If a team is dead-set on drafting one or the other, Jameis has to be the guy. Personally, if my team needed a qb, I'd just prefer them give it a year and see what their options are.

Yes. The word is that Winston will impress big time on the whiteboard and in the film room. Winston has all the tools needed to be a good NFL QB on the field. Now will he put in the extra time needed to be great??? Thats the million dollar question. JFFs antics this year probably hurt Winston as much as Winstons antics hurt himself.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The truth is that if school and police officials had done a proper investigation it is quite likely this would have been water under the bridge - but since they dropped the ball (no pun intended) it left Winston out to dry to have to deal with the "implications" of the charge and not so much of the facts in the case.  Appears to me they might have done Winston a major disservice instead of helping him.

The truth is that if school and police officials had done a proper investigation it is quite likely this would have been water under the bridge - but since they dropped the ball (no pun intended) it left Winston out to dry to have to deal with the "implications" of the charge and not so much of the facts in the case.  Appears to me they might have done Winston a major disservice instead of helping him.

Maybe, maybe not. They might very well have kept him from spending 10 years in federal prison as well. I've seen enough entitled behavior from him to not find it at all beyond the realm of possibilities that he raped her. You could definitely be right as well, but I wouldn't want to put money on it one way or the other.

The truth is that if school and police officials had done a proper investigation it is quite likely this would have been water under the bridge - but since they dropped the ball (no pun intended) it left Winston out to dry to have to deal with the "implications" of the charge and not so much of the facts in the case. Appears to me they might have done Winston a major disservice instead of helping him.

I tend to agree with this theory. And the more information that gets released seems to support it. It's one of those "offenses" that is easy to allege and hard to "disprove." And unfortunately, we live in a society that tends to forget it's not up to the accused to disprove anything. Thus, it's easy to mar someone's image based on an unsupported allegation. And this is just another factoid that seems to severely discredit this girl's credibility.

Maybe, maybe not. They might very well have kept him from spending 10 years in federal prison as well. I've seen enough entitled behavior from him to not find it at all beyond the realm of possibilities that he raped her. You could definitely be right as well, but I wouldn't want to put money on it one way or the other.

Let me state that I am not proclaiming his innocence - just that as TxHoops pointed out most of the evidence seems to protect him more than indict him.  As to the entitled behavior there is no doubt that on all college campuses that most college athletes think that they are above the law.

But in this case as well as many others - the fact that the police and the school failed to actively follow up and check evidence appears to provide the argument for a "cover-up" that only makes what might just be an innocent man appear guilty to the average onlooker - hell I was one early on that stated that I thought he was guilty but my position has softened as more information has emerged.  

Would it surprise me to find out in the future that he was at least in some way guilty - Not really.  But he was crucified in the media and tried in the court or public opinion - you can't win that type of trial ever.

• 1 month later...