Personal Responsibility and Teammate Accountability

Chasmack

[quote name="stang4life" post="1370008" timestamp="1360067301"]
As a single mother to three boys, the buck essentially stops with how I handle my child and his choices at home...to a certain point depending on age.  The "me" generation actually began with our baby boomers and has just gotten worse.  I have been blessed that so many people stepped into various roles that my boys lacked, most especially the WO-S family (most of who are coaches, past and present).  I will tell you that my children have done made stupid mistakes here and there, but they were held accountable by me, their teammates, and their coaches/teachers.  Depending on how far into their "me-ness" a kid is, he may or may not be receptive to constructive criticism or having his behavior/attitude addressed by anyone, but I still love the "it takes a village to raise a child".  I do not think they totally understand that anything (positive or negative) that happens on the field/court/track or off of them has such a dramatic impact on the team because any change affects the system.  So many times, when I have seen this kind of destructive behavior, one of two things are generally at the root:  either the parent(s) are feeding in and almost encouraging some of the behavior or they have lost control and tried to wait too late to get a hold of it.

There are a lot of single parent households out there, but trust me...it's all in how we single parents instill the proper values and discipline in our children.  It is difficult, but it can be done.
[/quote]

EXCELLENT post!! Thanks stang4life.

On every team i have played on since High School and College has had one or two players, mostly Seniors or the captains, that didnt let certain things get back to coach because they handled it. whether it came to fights, or yelling match, if the player that was doing something wrong have any respect for himself or the team or for his friends even, then he wouldnt do anything to hurt them. On my high school team we had many of fights behind teammates doing the wrong thing and that led to us being closer and making it to Austin. Its really not up to the players to step in but if a true captain would step in and try to stop the situation.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder