Who's your No.1 pitcher for the start of the season?

[quote name="kountzemania" post="1369333" timestamp="1359826938"]
I would have agree about not being able to teach velocity. It is something a kid is God given. Yes throwing strikes is important but most college or pro organizations will all tell you they can fix touch and release. I will go with that for the most part. In high school Velocity with ball movement is tough to beat and left or right makes a big difference.
[/quote]
Velocity can be improved/taught. It can be a function of mechanics..... 8)

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1369324" timestamp="1359824885"]
[quote author=XDOG link=topic=108691.msg1369315#msg1369315 date=1359821819]
Velocity with out accuracy is. Alot of kids out there can throw hard but cant throw strikes.
[/quote]

College coaches all think they can fix location.  You can't teach 90+

Admin will tell you a story of a kid some years back from SFA I believe.  Kid had one of the best arms you've seen but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.  At the Babe Ruth World Series in a blowout game a pro scout saw the kid warming up and asked if he pitched.  Admin put him in the game and the first pitch was halfway up the backstop at 96 mph.  All of the scouts came running to a kid that couldn't pitch but had an amazing arm.  He signed a pro contract on the spot without any college scholarship offers. 

In HS velocity is overratted but as far as scouts go, that is the main thing they look for.
[/quote]
and how many games did he play as pro.. 8)

[quote name="bulldogbacker" post="1369346" timestamp="1359830739"]
[quote author=PhatMack19 link=topic=108691.msg1369324#msg1369324 date=1359824885]
[quote author=XDOG link=topic=108691.msg1369315#msg1369315 date=1359821819]
Velocity with out accuracy is. Alot of kids out there can throw hard but cant throw strikes.
[/quote]

College coaches all think they can fix location.  You can't teach 90+

Admin will tell you a story of a kid some years back from SFA I believe.  Kid had one of the best arms you've seen but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.  At the Babe Ruth World Series in a blowout game a pro scout saw the kid warming up and asked if he pitched.  Admin put him in the game and the first pitch was halfway up the backstop at 96 mph.  All of the scouts came running to a kid that couldn't pitch but had an amazing arm.  He signed a pro contract on the spot without any college scholarship offers. 

In HS velocity is overratted but as far as scouts go, that is the main thing they look for.
[/quote]
and how many games did he play as pro.. 8)
[/quote]

He didn't play any but he got a decent little signing bonus.  Considering his other options this was a great deal for him.

I've brought kids to a few of the Perfect Game individual showcases over the years.  When taking infield they have a gun on you and record your velocity across the diamond.  Our kids were fielding ground balls and making a play as you normally would, getting the ball out of their gloves and making a good throw.  I noticed watching some of the other kids that they would field the ball, get set then crow hop throwing as hard as they could without any clue where the ball was going.  These kids were trained in this drill at how to get the highest velocity possible.  When the times all came out all that it shows is one kid threw 90 and one threw 84.  Scouts see that number on the PG website not where the ball went. 

I learned a lot that first time I went just watching other kids and seeing the small tricks they did to look better on paper.  Some of their select coaches had trained them in these drills and it showed.

Well we were speaking of high school pitching. We were talking in reference to the number one pitchers and there performance. I had just wanted to make the point that if you cant throw strikes no matter what level you play at your career is short lived at any level. Velocity might get you a scholarship but you will never see the bump which backs up the point velocity without accuracy will end you up on the pine. Number one pitchers have both. Hey Mack I am curious who will be Nederland #1,#2,#3

Guest kountzemania
[quote name="bulldogbacker" post="1369343" timestamp="1359830600"]
[quote author=kountzemania link=topic=108691.msg1369333#msg1369333 date=1359826938]
I would have agree about not being able to teach velocity. It is something a kid is God given. Yes throwing strikes is important but most college or pro organizations will all tell you they can fix touch and release. I will go with that for the most part. In high school Velocity with ball movement is tough to beat and left or right makes a big difference.
[/quote]
Velocity can be improved/taught. It can be a function of mechanics..... 8)
[/quote]
My point is velocity or the ability for velocity has to exist. A coach teaches mechanics and endurance both help to push the envoelope of velocity capabilities. Look it like a horse, not every horse thought to be a race horse becomes one. They either have the capability or they don't. The training brings out the gift and polished it to maximize the performance.

[quote name="XDOG" post="1369375" timestamp="1359840808"]
Hey Mack I am curious who will be Nederland #1,#2,#3
[/quote]

I haven't made it out to a practice yet, but if I had to guess I would say Sanderson and Nevalla will be 1 & 2 with White, Stampley, and Raines all getting significant innings.  I'm going to try to make it out the the scrimmage Tuesday night. 

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1369390" timestamp="1359846111"]
[quote author=XDOG link=topic=108691.msg1369375#msg1369375 date=1359840808]
[/quote]

I haven't made it out to a practice yet, but if I had to guess I would say Sanderson and Nevalla will be 1 & 2 with White, Stampley, and Raines all getting significant innings.  I'm going to try to make it out the the scrimmage Tuesday night.
[/quote]
Sanderson has looked extremely sharp in two outings.

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="1369390" timestamp="1359846111"]
[/quote]

[/quote]
when and what time will the scrimmage be tuesday?

[quote name="Allen Gamble" post="1369752" timestamp="1359991680"]
[quote author=PhatMack19 link=topic=108691.msg1369390#msg1369390 date=1359846111]
[/quote]

[/quote]
when and what time will the scrimmage be tuesday?
[/quote]

Last I heard it was 4:30 at Nederland

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    napeba
    Newest Member
    napeba