2013 PN-G Indians

[quote name="PN-G bamakid" post="1357028" timestamp="1355970638"]
[quote author=outanup link=topic=107591.msg1356971#msg1356971 date=1355960737]
[quote author=PN-G bamakid link=topic=107591.msg1356967#msg1356967 date=1355959120]
I have it from someone very close to the freshman team that Morse has been selected as the starting QB on varsity next year and Walker will remain a starting CB. If that's true, and I see no reason to believe otherwise, I think Faircloth made a great decision and that both of them will serve very well in those positions.
[/quote]Seriously.....The freshman has yet to take a varsity snap, hasnt even been through a high school offseason, or even competed against anyone for the job....Do you really believe this? No knock on either of them as Im sure both are more than capable. Surely you dont believe he has already been handed the job.
[/quote]

After watching Morse play, I believe he will do well at the varsity level. I have no doubt that he'll take some knocks early, but in the long run, he will make a fine quarterback for the PN-G Indians.

As to whether or not I believe what I'm being told, the source this information came from is well placed and has yet to give me bad information. He may be wrong, but I would be surprised.
[/quote]

Think this kid will do fine next season at Varsity level.  A core group of receivers, yes.  The question for PNG is the running attack.

And of course, D. 

I do "hear" of changes being made but I'd like to see it action before making prediction on 2013 season for PNG.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Brubaker" post="1359108" timestamp="1356715397"]
When they were running the spread yes... hmmm... switch away from spread, play good defense, run spread, defense is gassed and can't stop anyone... sound familiar.  Your analogy is missing something.
[/quote]
You can run the spread and still ball control. We had two of our three highest single season rushing results under Faircloth. And it's no coincedence that those two teams went a combined 19-6 and 3-2 in the playoffs. I think the traditional pro-style offenses and run heavy attacks do lead to better defenses, but they also can lead to poor offenses when you dont have the studs up front to manhandle your opponent. We saw a lot of that through the years with MB. Every three or four years we would have the hosses up front to whoop folks and we would make the playoffs, but the other three years in between resulted in 3 to 5 win seasons and no playoffs. Watching the HS state games most of the teams participating in those games from 1A on up ran some form of a spread attack. Katy whoops you at the line of scrimmage running out of the I, but lets be honest, they get the top athletes from the Katy ISD so they always have the hosses up front. Cedar Park also ran a pro style.
In 2011 the PNG defense ranked 2nd to Nederland in ppg in the district and that included the 42 points we gave up to Livingston in the first game. Points given up the other 6 district games - 24, 10, 7, 7, 15, 14...Thats 12.8 ppg over the final six games. Take out Nederlands worst district game, the 41 Ozen scored on them, and that great Nederland defense gave up 11.3 ppg. Vidor who everyone talked so much about there defense that year and who runs the polar opposite of the spread gave up 18.8 ppg when taking out their worst game in district.
Yes 2012 was a very bad year defensively, but it was also a very bad year offensively which I think had just as much to do with our poor season.

Badndn....I agree on reasons why 2012 went poorly for PNG...

Think the Offensive woes will see improvement next season....what about running game....is there someone coming in with solid attack.

2-3 years from now, it sounds like if adjustments are made, PNG could be fighting for it DT again.

I think enough bugs in the ears regarding Defense have not gone "unheard" after this season  at the Reservation.

Also, agree that winning the line of scrimmage is where so many successful teams win it.  Alabama always does this well.  Doesn't really matter who is back there running for them, with holes that open, I could run through them (well, not really, not too much running anymore). 

Do you know about running attack that PNG has to look forward to?

I am bored. So I went back to 1999 took the ppg in district given up minus the worst game since everyone is entitled to have one and here are the results. Very Interesting considering we ran out of the I and relied on our defense for the MB days.
Yr    PPG (District Finish)              Yr    PPG (District Finish)
99 - 13 (1st)                                09 - 12.2 (1st)
00 - 11.8                                    10 - 27.5 (2nd)
01 - 27                                        11 - 12.8 (2nd)
02 - 11.5                                    12 - 33.5
03 - 11 (1st)
04 - 16.6 (1st)
05 - 20.7
06 - 23.7
07 - 16.7 (1st)
08 - 22.3
Two of PNGs best years defensively (2000 and 2002) they did not finish in the top three in district running the I, yet running the spread they had one of the worst years defensively in 2010 and finished 2nd and went three deep. Three playoff appearances in four years...Four the previous 10 years. I'll stick with Faircloth. I got faith in him. He does have the 3rd and 4th best defenses in the past 14 years sprinkled in with those two bad defenses. I think he needs to get a good DC and keep him for a while. If I'm not mistaken this year was DC #3 (someone correct me if I'm wrong)
Also notice since they went to 3 and then 4 teams in the playoffs, PNG has never qualified any lower than 2nd...Interesting.

[quote name="thedogs1987" post="1359217" timestamp="1356728354"]

Think the Offensive woes will see improvement next season....what about running game....is there someone coming in with solid attack.

2-3 years from now, it sounds like if adjustments are made, PNG could be fighting for it DT again.

I think enough bugs in the ears regarding Defense have not gone "unheard" after this season  at the Reservation.

Also, agree that winning the line of scrimmage is where so many successful teams win it.  Alabama always does this well.  Doesn't really matter who is back there running for them, with holes that open, I could run through them (well, not really, not too much running anymore). 

[/quote]
Brant Halfin will be a Jr next year and was the bell cow for JV for much of the season. He reminds me of Harmon and Bertrand alot. He is quick between the tackles and always moving forward. He wont wow you with spead, but just like Harmon and Bertrand he will move the chains. And to complement him they have a Sophomore to be, named Cropper that is very fast and elusive that could see some time next year as well (I would suspect he could be the KO return guy on Varsity and could get 4 or 5 carries, maybe even a few catches in space to get him outside). The backup RB on JV, Duhon I think was his name, ran very well also when Halfin was out late in the season. The key again to the running game will be better line play. Most of them return so they will have experience. I would be shocked if the running game didnt vastly improve next season. Which will improve the passing game and the defense.

[quote name="png1977" post="1359058" timestamp="1356707121"]
[quote author=PN-G bamakid link=topic=107591.msg1356967#msg1356967 date=1355959120]
I have it from someone very close to the freshman team that Morse has been selected as the starting QB on varsity next year and Walker will remain a starting CB. If that's true, and I see no reason to believe otherwise, I think Faircloth made a great decision and that both of them will serve very well in those positions.
[/quote]Seriously.....The freshman has yet to take a varsity snap, hasnt even been through a high school offseason, or even competed against anyone for the job....Do you really believe this? No knock on either of them as Im sure both are more than capable. Surely you dont believe he has already been handed the job.
[/quote]My argument isnt that the freshman can or cant do the job.....I just dont see Faircloth  telling him the job is his before offseason even starts. You dont tell this young man this, you let him know he has the opportunity to earn it.

Actually, he did take a few snaps in the Texas City scrimmage...granted, it wasn't against their first string, but he did a good job...I for one am looking forward to the 2013 season.
[/quote]

[quote name="outanup" post="1359255" timestamp="1356733277"]
[quote author=png1977 link=topic=107591.msg1359058#msg1359058 date=1356707121]
[/quote]Seriously.....[b]The freshman has yet to take a varsity snap[/b], hasnt even been through a high school offseason, or even competed against anyone for the job....Do you really believe this? No knock on either of them as Im sure both are more than capable. Surely you dont believe he has already been handed the job.
[/quote]My argument isnt that the freshman can or cant do the job.....I just dont see Faircloth  telling him the job is his before offseason even starts. You dont tell this young man this, you let him know he has the opportunity to earn it.

Actually, he did take a few snaps in the Texas City scrimmage...granted, it wasn't against their first string, but he did a good job...I for one am looking forward to the 2013 season.
[/quote]
[/quote]

This is the only part of your post I was replying to.  And yes, you're right...he will have to earn it. 

[quote name="badndn" post="1359226" timestamp="1356730284"]
[quote author=thedogs1987 link=topic=107591.msg1359217#msg1359217 date=1356728354]

[/quote]
Brant Halfin will be a Jr next year and was the bell cow for JV for much of the season. He reminds me of Harmon and Bertrand alot. He is quick between the tackles and always moving forward. He wont wow you with spead, but just like Harmon and Bertrand he will move the chains. And to complement him they have a Sophomore to be, named Cropper that is very fast and elusive that could see some time next year as well (I would suspect he could be the KO return guy on Varsity and could get 4 or 5 carries, maybe even a few catches in space to get him outside). The backup RB on JV, Duhon I think was his name, ran very well also when Halfin was out late in the season. The key again to the running game will be better line play. Most of them return so they will have experience. I would be shocked if the running game didnt vastly improve next season. Which will improve the passing game and the defense.
[/quote]

Agree that a more solid passing attack will help running game which will help passing game.  Is Halfin going to be SR next season?  Bertrand was good so was Harmon.  Pounding those yards out is effective.  Will be good to see PNG more like themselves next season.

[quote name="thedogs1987" post="1359270" timestamp="1356734854"]
[quote author=badndn link=topic=107591.msg1359226#msg1359226 date=1356730284]
[quote author=thedogs1987 link=topic=107591.msg1359217#msg1359217 date=1356728354]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Agree that a more solid passing attack will help running game which will help passing game.  Is Halfin going to be SR next season?  Bertrand was good so was Harmon.  Pounding those yards out is effective.  Will be good to see PNG more like themselves next season.
[/quote]

Halfin will be a JR next year

Harmon was a beast no doubt, Bertrand was fun to watch also. They had a big mean ole nasty offensive line that they ran behind and had QBs and wideouts to support. The 2012 team we witnessed this past year, had no stud RB .  We have been spoiled in years past with some very talented teams, just one of them being the 2012 team was not. I think Fairclothes offense from his first three years was very productive, just wish we could find a stingy defense. I know our schedule is tough next year, but. Would really want to see a team that was a lil more competive on both sides of the ball.  The way it looks might be another year or two away from that, just have to take it one season at a time.

[quote name="biaplayer" post="1359462" timestamp="1356807294"]
Harmon was a beast no doubt, Bertrand was fun to watch also. They had a big mean ole nasty offensive line that they ran behind and had QBs and wideouts to support. The 2012 team we witnessed this past year, had no stud RB .  We have been spoiled in years past with some very talented teams, just one of them being the 2012 team was not. I think Fairclothes offense from his first three years was very productive, just wish we could find a stingy defense. I know our schedule is tough next year, but. Would really want to see a team that was a lil more competive on both sides of the ball.  The way it looks might be another year or two away from that, just have to take it one season at a time.
[/quote]

Back to back 2 win seasons will not sit well with many NDN faithful.

I'd be shocked if we saw another 2 win season. May not be an 8 win season, but at least 3 W's. ;)
2 of the 4 defenses under Faircloth gave up less than 13 PPG in District. Even a bad Faircloth PNG offense would win enough to make the playoffs if they only had to score 14 to win.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder