Angleton vs Montgomery thread- Angleton wins 28-18!!

Young Mongtomery team played Angleton tough running the ball and controlling the Angleton D-line. Two costly turnovers-one before half on their own 15 yd on a shotgun snap? and one at the end (4th) trying to score from the Angleton 10. What we learned- Montgomery O-line and RB Linton look like they are going to have a good year. Montgomery D is small but tackles good, but got exposed on misdirection plays and quick passes to the wideouts at CB. Proud overall of Montgomery and how they played, I defintely underestimated them.
Angleton better cleanup the penaltys and turnovers. The D-line got pushed around by a young and inexperienced O-line. Lots of cramping and injuries. Don't see the typical Angleton speed from years past. They have a good WR#9 and fast RB#23 but I don't see this team going that far without much improvement. But hey its early so lots of games to go. Rosenberg Terry and Pearland Dawson will be licking their chops after watching this game film. Good luck to Angleton this year.
Here's the boxscore-
http://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/scoreboard/?site=default&mkt=houston&Season=2012&tpl=Boxscore&Sport=1&ID=145765&TeamID=216&SearchType=Teams

First off, man I feel for the Bears fans next year when they have to drive down to Angleton. Took me 2 and a half hours to get there through the Houston rush hour. >:( Seem like I would never get there. Now to the game.
Montgomery gave Angleton all they could handle. Montgomery may be young at some positions, but were led by a good senior RB, a good senior WR on offense and a solid MLB on defense. The young kids will come along soon. When you get a program on the winning path, you really don't have "down" years and Montgomery seems to be on that path. The Bears should make another run at the playoffs.

Now for Angleton, they need to clean up the penalties. They have a TD called back and a couple of other big plays that were nullified. I'm sure Coach Roark will get that cleaned up. As far as the Dline goes, DE's Brown and Woodard were in the backfield all night causing havoc, but the 2 starting interior linemen are first year starters and it showed on numerous plays. Once they get some games under their belt, they should be fine. Plus they are both big boys at 275lbs and 285 lbs.

Now IMO the main problem with Angleton now is conditioning. They are not in football shape yet. Too many kids with their hands on their knees and hips. That was the reason the had so many kids go down to cramps. I think not have that extra week of conditioning hurt them. That last drive Montgomery had before the end, the Angleton kids had nothing left. They were struggling just to get lined up. That's another thing Coach Roark will address I'm sure.

But hey, we still got a win on the road, so all good.  ;)

[quote name="Monkeynuts" post="1257380" timestamp="1346471598"]
Young Mongtomery team played Angleton tough running the ball and controlling the Angleton D-line. Two costly turnovers-one before half on their own 15 yd on a shotgun snap? and one at the end (4th) trying to score from the Angleton 10. What we learned- Montgomery O-line and RB Linton look like they are going to have a good year. Montgomery D is small but tackles good, but got exposed on misdirection plays and quick passes to the wideouts at CB. Proud overall of Montgomery and how they played, I defintely underestimated them.
Angleton better cleanup the penaltys and turnovers. The D-line got pushed around by a young and inexperienced O-line. Lots of cramping and injuries. Don't see the typical Angleton speed from years past. They have a good WR#9 and fast RB#23 but I don't see this team going that far without much improvement. But hey its early so lots of games to go. Rosenberg Terry and Pearland Dawson will be licking their chops after watching this game film. Good luck to Angleton this year.
Here's the boxscore-
http://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/scoreboard/?
site=default&mkt=houston&Season=2012&tpl=Boxscore&Sport=1&ID=145765&TeamID=216&SearchType=Teams
[/quote]

You should probably get a copy of the film and watch the game again because at no point did Mont O Line control the line of scrimmage.  Mont.  got the ball on the 28 after Ang muffed the 2nd half kickoff and had to settle for a FG.  The 30-40 yard TD run by #28 was on a stunt call.  Ang DE #44 created havoc all night.  #65 and #98 plugged all night except when they were double teamed.  The game was never in doubt for Ang.  If Ang played Mont 10 times Ang wins 10 times.

[quote name="Bulldogs2011" post="1258245" timestamp="1346540388"]
[quote author=Monkeynuts link=topic=102383.msg1257380#msg1257380 date=1346471598]
Here's the boxscore-
http://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/scoreboard/?
site=default&mkt=houston&Season=2012&tpl=Boxscore&Sport=1&ID=145765&TeamID=216&SearchType=Teams
[/quote]

You should probably get a copy of the film and watch the game again because at no point did Mont O Line control the line of scrimmage.  Mont.  got the ball on the 28 after Ang muffed the 2nd half kickoff and had to settle for a FG.  The 30-40 yard TD run by #28 was on a stunt call.  Ang DE #44 created havoc all night.  #65 and #98 plugged all night except when they were double teamed.  The game was never in doubt for Ang.  If Ang played Mont 10 times Ang wins 10 times.
[/quote] I agree. I didn't see the Montgomery O line "controlling" the line of scrimmage either. The only players that stopped this game from ending with the Cats putting up 40+ points were the Cats themselves. If the wildcats had not given the bears all the "gifts" that they did, the score would have likely been 42 (or more) to 7. I think that if they just concentrate on working on doing a better job of holding onto the ball, and paying more attention so as to eliminate the false start penalties, they will get to where they need to be soon. The D line could use some more experience, and they will get plenty of that in the coming weeks i'm sure. I know that coach Roark has been making notes about the areas where they need the most work, and you can rest assured that he will make corrections as needed asap. 

Ok the Angleton D line dominated- that Montgomery RB ran for 163 yds all on sheer will alone, he is not Leroy Dobbins or Quandre Diggs talent. I saw some of the holes he ran thru. I just hope your coach does not believe what ya'll are saying. Angelton D made some good plays yes, but Montgomery offense moved the ball by rushing it-[b]the stats say it also[/b]. Thats what opened up the few good passing plays we had. Better teams will expose your run D. Also the biggest gift of the game was given before half on the fumble to the 2 yd line, easy TD. They should have ran out the clock been happy to be tied. Good luck to Angleton going forward.

Well, we will see what happens when the (5A) Brazoswood Buccaneers come to Angleton next friday. They dominated Westbury 29-0 last night. I don't know much about Westbury except that they are supposed to have a "strong" D-Line, but I'm pretty sure coach Roark will address what needs fixing in short order so the Cat's will be ready to take them (Bucs) down next week (like they have the past three years). If they don't make the appropriate adjustments now though, it may get ugly for the 'Cats real quick next game.  ;)
The stats from last nights game say: total yds rushing- Montgomery= 33 rushes / 185 yds .                                                                              Angleton= 37 rushes / 253 yds
    Kinda looks like Angleton D was the better of the two if we are judging by yds allowed. Don't get me wrong, the Bears are a great team, I give them much respect and I think that Angleton did well to win against them at their home despite some bad plays on the part of both teams. Good luck to the Bears on the rest of their season! I hope they have an injury free, winning season!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476