Coldspring @ C.E. King Predictions

T-Dawd

[quote name="RHBoiler" post="1252303" timestamp="1346069641"]
Coldspring: something like 15 starters returning from a semi-state finalist. Lost their top two RBs but have lots coming back otherwise.

King: new coach, some talent, but look pretty unorganized in its scrimmage last Friday.

Coldspring will start just like they did last year -- winning 40-somthing to some-teen.
[/quote]

Coldspring has 18 starters returning, 15 are seniors and they have replaced the RB's with two faster ones that should put up more yards. Definetly going with CS in this one

[quote name="CSN" post="1253510" timestamp="1346196037"]
[quote author=RHBoiler link=topic=102091.msg1252303#msg1252303 date=1346069641]
Coldspring: something like 15 starters returning from a semi-state finalist. Lost their top two RBs but have lots coming back otherwise.

King: new coach, some talent, but look pretty unorganized in its scrimmage last Friday.

Coldspring will start just like they did last year -- winning 40-somthing to some-teen.
[/quote]

Coldspring has 18 starters returning, 15 are seniors and they have replaced the RB's with two faster ones that should put up more yards. Definetly going with CS in this one

[/quote]
Who are the two starting backs this year?

Having watched C. E. King play the last few years, I have seen a steady decline in talent.  They have one or two kids that are good but depth is a real concern.  I believe that Price will get more discipline involved than Wilson did.  But the question I have for those that picked Coldspring to win is--Do you feel that Coldspring would be the favorite in 19 4A?  The average margin of victory by the pollsters is 34 and change.  King did not lose a game last year in district by that amount and will be better this year.  Again do you feel that Coldspring would be the favorite in this district?

[quote name="texaslonghorn14" post="1254904" timestamp="1346359388"]
Having watched C. E. King play the last few years, I have seen a steady decline in talent.  They have one or two kids that are good but depth is a real concern.  I believe that Price will get more discipline involved than Wilson did.  But the question I have for those that picked Coldspring to win is--Do you feel that Coldspring would be the favorite in 19 4A?  The average margin of victory by the pollsters is 34 and change.  King did not lose a game last year in district by that amount and will be better this year.  Again do you feel that Coldspring would be the favorite in this district?
[/quote]No

[quote name="texaslonghorn14" post="1254904" timestamp="1346359388"]
[/quote]

They would be right with Dayton.

[quote name="T-Dawd" post="1254977" timestamp="1346363398"]
Well, would La Marque be picked as favorite to win 19-4a this year? If so, alot will tell when Coldspring plays La Marque in 2 weeks. All I know is that a Dayton CS game would be very exciting. BTW CS beats King 42-7.
[/quote]

I would pick Navasota to win 19-4A this year if they were in it.  They are probably our biggest rival, but I have to give credit where credits do.  They will win state this year.

[quote name="YOuKnow00" post="1254108" timestamp="1346273562"]
That's how Coldspring has been for many years, and they've been successful at doing it. It'll be just fine.
[/quote]  There have only been a couple of players start on both sides of the ball for Coldspring the last 3 years. Monroe did last year (rb & ss) & Gilbert was forced to start in secondary at beginning of playoffs due to FS suffering a year ending injury in last regular season game against Liberty. Everyone else who played on both sides did so only in spot duty when scores got out of hand & starters where out. 

The year before during their state championship bid/run to Dallas they a fresh 11 on both sides of the ball & players only played one way except every once in awhile. Bryant (rb,db) did get  quite a few carries early on but as the season progressed Cummings & Gilbert got most of the
carries until the score got out of hand.

Barbay prefers not to have players play both ways but this year a few key players will have to out of necessity.

The entire backfield (Giddens, Johnson @ Cooper) will all be starting on both sides of ball. Douglas plays corner and shouldn't have that tough a time however the other 2 play linebacker
& DE/hybrid LB and will be expending lots of energy fighting off blocks, etc. It'll be interesting to see how well they do. The fact that all 3 should share the load will help but it will be different than the last few years.

[quote name="CSN" post="1253510" timestamp="1346196037"]
has 18 starters returning, 15 are seniors and they have replaced the RB's with two faster ones that should put up more yards. Definetly going with CS in this one
[/quote]

I'm not going to say it can't happen because anything is possible but it'll be difficult to expect either new back to put up more yards than Gilbert did either of the last 2 years. Cummings (2010 2500+ yards) Gilbert & Monroe were 3 really, really good high school backs. 

Giddens is the fastest player on the team this year. Johnson also has really good speed but what will make him such a good back will be his elusiveness. He'll be a nightmare to tackle in open space. Giddens & Cooper will probably get alot of the tough carries & yards after contact while I see Johnson being more of the homerun threat like Gilbert was last year. If scrimmages are to be believed Soph Alec Dunham might also get some carries if coaching staff trusts him early on against the tough non district schedule.

The last thing I'll say is speed wise Gilbert, Cummings, & Monroe wont take a back seat to any current Trojans. If I was a betting man Giddens is the only current Trojan that I would honestly say could line up & beat any of the 3 in a 40. Johnson might be a step slower however his running style & elusiveness will have him looking like the fastest guy on the field.

This years group of rb's should be alot of fun to watch as they start to come into their own & establish themselves as Coldsprings next great backfield.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder