4A Team Prestige

I'm not sure how many of y'all have played NCAA (the college football video game), but on there, it list the current prestige of of each team, based on their talent & recent acheivements.  I thought that it would be interesting to list a few high school teams the same way.  I'll start in 4A region 3, since that's what I'm most familiar with.  If you wanna help, give me your opinion on what you consider an accurate assessment of each team, based on the talent they will field this year, D1 recruits they have recently turned out and recent acheivements.  The scale goes from 1-6.  After a week or two, hopefully I'll have enough opinions to get this done.  If not, I guess it's still worth a try.

*Based on the last 5 years.....

Brenham- 6
Dayton- 6
Pearland Dawson- 6
Angleton- 5
Friendswood- 5
Montgomery- 5
Terry- 5
Beaumont Central- 4
Crosby- 4
Georgetown- 4
Humble- 4
Huntsville- 4
Hutto- 4
Lamar Consolidated- 4
Livingston- 4
Marshall- 4
Nederland- 4
Pfluggerville Connally- 4
PNG- 4
Stratford- 4
Summer Creek- 4
Texas City- 4
Tomball- 4
Willis- 4
Barber's Hill- 3
Bastrop- 3
Bay City- 3
Baytown Lee- 3
Elgin- 3
Foster- 3
GCM- 3
Kingwood Park- 3
Magnolia West- 3
Manor- 3
Ozen- 3
Vidor- 3
Waller- 3
Willowridge- 3
Brazosport- 2
C.E. King- 2
Galena Park- 2
Galveston Ball- 2
LCM- 2
Lumberton- 2
Magnolia- 2
Rudder- 2
Santa Fe- 2
Sharpstown- 2
Austin- 1
Bastrop Cedar Creek- 1
Caney Creek- 1
Davis- 1
Georgetown East View- 1
George Ranch- 1
Lee- 1
Milby- 1
New Caney- 1
Northbrook- 1
North Forest- 1
Porter- 1
Reagan- 1
Spring Woods- 1
Tomball Memorial- 1
Waltrip- 1
Wheatley- 1

JMO until I hear some others....

From our district I would bump LCM down to a 2. No playoffs in the last 5 years.

Also Tx City is probably a 3...What have they done the past 5 years? Not sure they have even made the playoffs. And Terry?
I would swap Dawson and BHam. Dawson gets a knod for the D1 recruits, but No Title game yet. By that same assessment, BHam has the D1 recruits and a title game appearance.

Over the last 5 years dayton has a d1 semifinal appearance and a d2 state final appeatance. Dayton has also won more playoff games over the last 5 years than any team on the list. Also if im not mistaken dayton has also had the only parade all american. One more thing bh is more like a 2. They didnt make the playoffs in 07 and 08 and still have not won a playoff game in the last 5 years. I give them a 2 because they beat dayton. Didnt lumberton beat lm and make it to the third round and gave dayton their only loss when we went to that district. So I say if bh is a 4 lumberton is a 6.

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1245608" timestamp="1345128108"]
Barbie's Hill at a 4? You kidding me? I know middle school teams better than those pile of ants over a sand dune.
[/quote]

"pile of ants over a sand dune"....  OK, I have no idea what that meant??????  ::) ::) ::)  I wanna laugh at good smack, but "come on man"!  ;D 

[quote name="liltex" post="1245632" timestamp="1345130130"]
Last 5 yrs=Crosby=2011 bi-dist finalist -2010 beats Ned & area Finalist-2009 dist champ shuts out Dayton  :o,beats Ned,region finalist-08 area finalist -07 bi dist finalist 8)
[/quote]

Can't disagree.  Everything on that list is impressive, well except "shuts out Dayton"...... that's normal.... ;D ;D

[quote name="badndn" post="1245578" timestamp="1345126112"]
From our district I would bump LCM down to a 2. No playoffs in the last 5 years.

Also Tx City is probably a 3...What have they done the past 5 years? Not sure they have even made the playoffs. [b]And Terry?[/b]I would swap Dawson and BHam. Dawson gets a knod for the D1 recruits, but No Title game yet. By that same assessment, BHam has the D1 recruits and a title game appearance.
[/quote]

Terry had a heck of a team in '08 when we played them on the way to the finals. They also gave lamarque a scare or two in the past couple playoffs. They always have a pretty physical D and O and  a lot of good athletes. I can see why he put them up there.

[quote name="badndn" post="1245578" timestamp="1345126112"]

Also Tx City is probably a 3...What have they done the past 5 years? Not sure they have even made the playoffs. And Terry?
I would swap Dawson and BHam. Dawson gets a knod for the D1 recruits, but No Title game yet. By that same assessment, BHam has the D1 recruits and a title game appearance.
[/quote]

My reasoning....

Every team you listed was borderline for me.

Barber's Hill-  Borderline between 3 & 4 to me.  I only gave them a 4 due to last years undefeated regular season and district title.

Brenham- I was trying to avoid handing out a 6 to teams that have never won a state title.  The Cubs are easily a 6 when it comes to D1 recruits, but despite going 20-0 in the last two regular seasons, they were bounced really early in the playoffs both years.  That's what makes it hard to decide between a 5 & 6 for Brenham.  You could build a case either way.  In the end, I'll give Brenham the nod for a 6, based on their D1 recruits.

Crosby- No problem moving the Coogs up after what liltex pointed out.

Dawson- I'm cool with dropping the Eagles for a couple reasons, but the reason I had them so high is how good they got & so fast.  I havn't seen a team really rise that fast, aside from Sping DeKaney last year.  They also have loads of D1 recruits.  Here's what they have against them though... No state title and still a very new school, so they're not as established as others. (though they are on the rise quickly) Winning the region this next year or two would put them back at a 6 for me though.

Dayton- I feel the Broncos are pretty even with th the Cubs, so since I moved the Cubs up I guess I'll have to move them up.  Brenham's key to a 6 was the D1 talent, so I guess I'll use Dayton's consistancy as theirs.  (Meaning no upsets in early rounds) Up to a 6.

LCM- I can't really argue with you there.  After pointing out the playoff drought, they are for sure a 2.

Terry- This team is very underrated year after year.  They also play in a very tough district.

Texas City- They have a state title or two and has a lot of talent every year.  They have been falling off as of late, but they are a good team.  I'll drop them, but I'd say atleast a 4. 

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="1245646" timestamp="1345131026"]
[quote author=badndn link=topic=101664.msg1245578#msg1245578 date=1345126112]

[/quote]

My reasoning....

Every team you listed was borderline for me.

Barber's Hill-  Borderline between 3 & 4 to me. [b] I only gave them a 4 due to last years undefeated regular season[/b] and district title.

Brenham- I was trying to avoid handing out a 6 to teams that have never won a state title.  The Cubs are easily a 6 when it comes to D1 recruits, but despite going 20-0 in the last two regular seasons, they were bounced really early in the playoffs both years.  That's what makes it hard to decide between a 5 & 6 for Brenham.  You could build a case either way.  In the end, I'll give Brenham the nod for a 6, based on their D1 recruits.

Crosby- No problem moving the Coogs up after what liltex pointed out.

Dawson- I'm cool with dropping the Eagles for a couple reasons, but the reason I had them so high is how good they got & so fast.  I havn't seen a team really rise that fast, aside from Sping DeKaney last year.  They also have loads of D1 recruits.  Here's what they have against them though... No state title and still a very new school, so they're not as established as others. (though they are on the rise quickly) Winning the region this next year or two would put them back at a 6 for me though.

Dayton- I feel the Broncos are pretty even with th the Cubs, so since I moved the Cubs up I guess I'll have to move them up.  Brenham's key to a 6 was the D1 talent, so I guess I'll use Dayton's consistancy as theirs.  (Meaning no upsets in early rounds) Up to a 6.

LCM- I can't really argue with you there.  After pointing out the playoff drought, they are for sure a 2.

Terry- This team is very underrated year after year.  They also play in a very tough district.

Texas City- They have a state title or two and has a lot of talent every year.  They have been falling off as of late, but they are a good team.  I'll drop them, but I'd say atleast a 4.
[/quote]BH is a 3 if we use your reasoning because Crosby beat BH the last game of regular season.

Here's how I'd rate the teams that I'm fairly familiar with:
6*
Brenham
Dayton
Pearland Dawson
5*
Angleton
Friendswood
Montgomery
PNG
4*
Crosby
Humble
Lamar Consolidated (ONLY because of State Title)
Nederland
Terry
3*
Barbers Hill
Beaumont Central
Baytown Lee
Foster
GCM
Huntsville
Kingwood Park
Livingston
Magnolia West
Ozen
Stratford
Summer Creek
Texas City
Tomball
Vidor
Waller
Willis

I don't feel like ranking the 1 and 2 stars.

@ JohnSmith- Ok I was a game off.  They did win district though, which has to count for something.  I guess I'll move them back to a 3 until they win 19-4A again or win a playoff game.

@ texasaggie- Good point on Dawson....  Back to a 6.  I'd say a deep run or 18-4A championship this year and I agree on your Bears being a 5.  Very close right now.  Magnolia West goes down to a 3, but a good year this year and move them back up.

[quote name="BHFAN" post="1245729" timestamp="1345138115"]
Ok Dayton got beat by a 3 and ran off the field by a -1 (GCM) and that makes them a 6 ;D. I know I'm opening this up for the 3 round rule, been there and bought the t-shirt.
[/quote]

We lost to a 3 last year and a different 3 the year before that.  You're gonna lose eventually.  Even LT eventually lost. 

I still can't decide on Montgomery.  Anybody got an opinion on if they are a 4 or 5?

Well 5 of course  ;) But in all seriousness, Montgomery has been a playoff contender for the past 5 years including a deep run to the 4th round. We've been in the state spotlight quite a bit lately (including state rankings) and have become more well known. That should up our prestige. Beating Dawson was probably the signature moment that I would use as an example of Montgomery's success and recognition. Plus we beat the pants off of 4* Crosby the past 3 times we've played. Gotta be higher than them  ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124