Bridge City OC Josh Smalley to be next Orangefield AD/HC

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please give us your insight on why he won't be a good AD.  I have got to here this.  I don't know where you get that.  If you have gone to just about any BC event the past few years, Josh Smalley has been there supporting that sport.  Didn't get paid to go.  He was just there because he loves the kids.  Are there going to be some bumps along the way?  I would think so.  He is a young coach.  But he is energetic and wants to be there, unlike some of the people you listed that were "run out".  There is always more to a situation that what appears.  Dig a little deeper and maybe you see the truth of how things really were and how people involved really felt.  There are two sides to every story.

Coach Smalley is a great hire.  He is a guy who is familiar with and was very popular in the Orangefield community while he was there before.  If there is anyone that can increase the participation in OF athletics, as some folks have indicated is a necessity, then this is your guy.

I'll say this, as long as Im an admin posts degrading a man who has given as much to the youth of OC as Josh has will not be tolerated.
Coach Smalley has and will continue to teach the OF kids far more than x's and o's. This has zero to do with the past and 100% to do with the future. If I had a son and they went to OHS I would feel privileged for Smalley to coach him.
OF could go 0-10 next year yet the lessons and knowledge they gain from Smalley will exceed any playoff appearance.

So this is public warning on anyone bashing this man who is putting himself out there and fulfilling a dream of his.

[quote name="Gabe" post="1230020" timestamp="1339471602"]
So this is public warning on anyone bashing this man who is putting himself out there and fulfilling a dream of his.
[/quote]

The ultimate in American journalism. I don't have a dog in the hunt but, I believe this was also the view point of someone named Adolf. This sadly brings tears to my American eyes. Maybe I don't like the color socks he wears, is this bashing by your definition? Or only if I say on here I don't like them. Let's be sure to keep any other opinion that don't meet your criteria stuffed under the bed. I don't know coach Smalley and absolutely do wish him the best.

A stand up guy gets his first AD job so why not save the junk for later. Let the people who want to wish him well do so.
I think you're taking this a lil too serious my man. Who is sad by comparing a person to hitler on a message board? Lol dry your eyes. I'm far from evil

I thought these was a forum where you could voice your opinion, GUess you can only voice your opinion only if the powers that be agree with you. This still is america isnt it? Oh well glad I dont walk around with rose colored glasses on. Time will tell. The good old boy system prevails again. That is why our world is in the shape it is in today.

[quote name="jacf" post="1230144" timestamp="1339526677"]
I thought these was a forum where you could voice your opinion, GUess you can only voice your opinion only if the powers that be agree with you. This still is america isnt it? Oh well glad I dont walk around with rose colored glasses on. Time will tell. The good old boy system prevails again. That is why our world is in the shape it is in today.
[/quote]
Are you even from Orangefield or currently live in the district?

No but I know people that are very reliable. Look I like Josh, I am strictly voicing my opinion based on what I know and how things played out. I hope he does a great job I just don't like the way things went down and some very loyal people were effected becaus

Yes, three loyal people applied from in house.  Some of those people would not have gotten the job no matter what.  Administration has more to think about than that.  I guess you find out truly how loyal they are by how they act after they aren't hired.  Do they stay and try and work with the new person, or bail on the kids and other coaches.  That is the true loyalty test. 

There was no taking sides on my part actually. A quick glance at the forum rules shows:

[b]18 ) The bashing of any particular coach, player, referee, etc will not be tolerated. This includes issues involving their personal lives, coaching/playing style or performance, past experiences, etc.[/b]

Discussion over.

Guest BOBCAT
[quote name="Gabe" post="1230182" timestamp="1339537475"]
There was no taking sides on my part actually. A quick glance at the forum rules shows:

[b]18 ) The bashing of any particular coach, player, referee, etc will not be tolerated. This includes issues involving their personal lives, coaching/playing style or performance, past experiences, etc.[/b]

Discussion over.
[/quote]

What a sad life you have !

Power trippin

well i wouldnt call them not loyal for leaving if they choose to leave. I would find it hard to stay if I didnt get the job. especially if I could better myself. Plus I know one of the applicants in house was very loyal, he was offered another job, a place where they are alot more successful, but turned it down. And since you said the board had more to consider than loyalty you must have been talking about administration wise, well the in house guy I was speaking of has a masters degree and several certifications versus well cant go there, so you cant say the hire was based on that. And from what I have been told only two or three people were involved in the interview process and the board never interviewed any of the applicants. So it doesnt sound like a board hire to me.

And to Gabe I never bashed anyone just gave my opinion 

I never said the board.  I said administration.  Many interview committees are the current supt., principal, and maybe some teachers or another principal.  The board normally doesn't get involved in the interview process because they are the ones who approve of the hire.  If they got involved in the interviews then what would be the use of their vote to approve of the hire.  That is not why they were elected to their positions. 

If he turned down a job so he could stay then he should have prepared himself for if he didn't get the job.  What if he can't find another position now?  Things don't always turn out like we think or want. 

Congrats to Josh and Good Luck, I wish OF the best, even though he was not my favorite, he is a good coach and will do a good job.
  But to address the point of loyalty: sometimes leaving, when you are on staff and applied for the AD job and don't get it, is the thing to do for the good of the program. Staying is often a difficult situation for a new AD, especially when there are guys on the staff that believe they were the best guys for the position. It is almost standard operating procedures to leave if you don't get the job, not out of bitterness but to be fair to the new ad and the situation.
    Sometimes Coaches have been at the school for a long time and don't feel like they can leave for personal or family reasons, but don't question a coaches' loyality just because they happen to leave after not getting the job.

From what one of the applicants told me, only two of the people interviewed were going to be called back in.  There was no guarantee that it would be someone in house or an outside guy.  Maybe Admin didn't feel like it was necessary after the first interviews.  Sounds like sour grapes.  I hope he did have a backup plan.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder