The Year of the Bear

As a graduate of Baylor University I have endured many years of being a fan with not a lot of success to show for my support, but support I did. There is still a shelf in my office that proudly displays plenty of Baylor "stuff" and my diploma hangs on the wall behind my desk. So I hope you won't begrudge me the opportunity to be very proud of my university as the end of this year draws to a close.

This year will always be tied to RG3 and his run to the Heisman Trophy. He is a once in a life-time combination of athletic ability, leadership and being a fine young man. I personally wish he had gone to some other team that Washington, once a Cowboys fan always a Cowboys fan, but I wish him great success (well maybe not in two games a year). The football team as risen under the coaching of Art Briles and that rise will bring football back to campus soon with a brand new Baylor Stadium. The concept drawings of the statium and the surrounding area are breathtaking. Once this stadium is built it will just help to continue the elevation of the program. It and the completion of a new track stadium will mean that Baylor has comproable to better practice facilities and venues than almost any other university in the country.

Basketball was a two headed monster for Baylor this year. A women's national championship and the men with still another run deep in the tournament. With a second womens title and the entire starting 5 return for the Lady Bears next season they have to be the favorites to repeat and if Britney Griner continues her year to year improvement it could be really special to see her next season. The men continue to knock on the door and coach is recruiting some of the finest in the country. It is more difficult to do this in the "one and done culture" that goes against the educational mandate of colleges, but it is what it is.

Baylor Baseball is in a super regional after finishing the regular season as the #4 national seed. They are of course hopeing to eliminate Arkansas for a trip to Omaha and the College World Series. Track and field is still in contention with 11 individual or relay entries in the NCAA championships this week.

Baylor also had a national championship in equistrian this year! All 19 teams that the Bears field in NCAA sports made it to post season play and last week Baylor set an NCAA record for most wins by a D1 program in a single school year. That number is now 126 and could climb higher.

So 2011-2012 will forever be etched in the minds of the Baylor Nation and it is my hope that those dark days are long gone. It is fun to cheer for a winner, but regardless I am still a Baylor Bear and will be till I die.

[quote name="Rebel Yeller" post="1228625" timestamp="1338913102"]
Got me there! So what Super Regional is Lamar in this week?[
quote author=puddin tane link=topic=100377.msg1228619#msg1228619 date=1338911916]
Lamar [b]18[/b]-#20Baylor [b]17[/b]

go BIG RED
[/quote]
[/quote]

hey, this would be a good topic for the baylor board...oh wait..........

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder