Nederland Spring Tournament

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1206317" timestamp="1333565730"]
I wonder if HJ will show up or just continue to play in Little Dribbler Nationals?
[/quote]

Hj was there and played in the finals against Ned last year.  You have my personal assurance they will "show up".  But if they get behind more than ten points, the tournament officials ought to step in and "give" them half of the deficit in the name of fairness.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1206336" timestamp="1333566928"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=98548.msg1206317#msg1206317 date=1333565730]
I wonder if HJ will show up or just continue to play in Little Dribbler Nationals?
[/quote]

Hj was there and played in the finals against Ned last year.  You have my personal assurance they will "show up".  But if they get behind more than ten points, the tournament officials ought to step in and "give" them half of the deficit in the name of fairness.
[/quote] :o Thats a nice [color=red][i]progressive[/i][/color] gesture

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1206341" timestamp="1333567181"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=98548.msg1206336#msg1206336 date=1333566928]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=98548.msg1206317#msg1206317 date=1333565730]
[/quote]

[/quote] :o Thats a nice [color=red][i]progressive[/i][/color] gesture
[/quote]

Yes, it is.  Do you think that is a good way to "manage" basketball games or, for that matter, all athletic events?  If we teach them that there should never be a loser, will they become better athletes and more proficient/productive at what they do?  I am anxious to get there and watch the first fan get ejected from the gym for yelling "air ball" on an errant shot because it will hurt the self esteem of the player who attempted the shot.  When you think about it, rather than a progressive gesture, it would seem it should be coined a regressive gesture.

Quite Frankly...
Who really cares about summer league basketball?  I know who:  The volunteer coaches who are trying to win a tournament for themselves, the parents that coach and want their kids to play but their kid has a slim chance of receiving a scholarship, or the AAU coaches who are getting paid a salary for charging parents expensive fees?  Ball players will get better by repetition.  Many ball players in southeast texas think that running up and down the court in summer league or AAU will improve their game but it actually does not do much.  Quite frankly summer league and AAU only improves confidence for kids not scholarship material.  The ball player will improve by putting in the individual work in the gym, and working on his strengths and weaknesses.

[quote name="Steven_A_Smith" post="1206377" timestamp="1333570088"]
Quite Frankly...
Who really cares about summer league basketball?  I know who:  The volunteer coaches who are trying to win a tournament for themselves, the parents that coach and want their kids to play but their kid has a slim chance of receiving a scholarship, or the AAU coaches who are getting paid a salary for charging parents expensive fees?  Ball players will get better by repetition.  Many ball players in southeast texas think that running up and down the court in summer league or AAU will improve their game but it actually does not do much.  Quite frankly summer league and AAU only improves confidence for kids not scholarship material.  The ball player will improve by putting in the individual work in the gym, and working on his strengths and weaknesses.
[/quote]Preach on my brother-Preach on!!!!! So true! Especially where " ....only improves confidence for kids not scholarship material....." I see far too many kids and their parents wanting to play in the summer but not put in the[size=14pt] individual work[/size].

Actually the game is not played 1on 0 , a being in the gym working on skills is great. But doesn't teach you how to compete. Spring and summer basketball if done the right way can be very beneficial. Kids all over the country are doing it, some of the best are doing it all the time.  But your right, most fans don't care but this is the way players get ready for the real season. The kids playing should care. Steven a. Is right about the parent part, but there are some parents who are realistic!

[quote name="team first" post="1206543" timestamp="1333588734"]
Actually the game is not played 1on 0 , a being in the gym working on skills is great. But doesn't teach you how to compete. Spring and summer basketball if done the right way can be very beneficial. Kids all over the country are doing it, some of the best are doing it all the time.  But your right, most fans don't care but this is the way players get ready for the real season. The kids playing should care. Steven a. Is right about the parent part, but there are some parents who are realistic!
[/quote]I think Stephen A. is saying both are okay but you really don't increase your skill playing all year long. You gotta get skill time in. For example, doesn't make sense to play in games all and you're averaging as a player, 3-5 shots a game and maybe getting 10-12 touches a game. 3v3 will get you more work in. But summer games will give you the confidence to play the game against all types of players. You have to find a way to get in a mixture of game and practice time.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1206614" timestamp="1333597395"]
I'm hearing the tourney is April 14th. Call Nederland.
[/quote]
Yes. Tourney next weekend. Teams playing in the Varsity level tourney include:

Friendswood
HF
HJ
Legacy
Memorial
Ned 1
Ned 2
Ozen
Silsbee
WO-S

Possibly 2 more.

There will also be a JV division, 7th grade division, and 8th grade division.

Quite Frankly BlueDove3 You are Correct:
Both playing in unofficial games and skill time are needed to improve your overall game.  Hopefully setx players learned how to compete by playing in Little Dribblers/YMCA and in middle school and did not wait to learn how to compete at the high school level.  But let's be honest, how many kids are actually putting in skill time?  Take the average underclassmen of this past year, of the 12-15 kids on each JV or the few returning on the Varsity team, how many are putting in the work.  I would say the "average" high school basketball player that plays summer league or AAU, may play 30 games in the summer but will not put in 5 days of skill time.  Everybody is telling the "average" ball player, to play AAU and to play summer league to get exposed when the average ball player will not get a basketball scholarship.  However, nobody stresses skill time.  Then the ball player shows up the next basketball season and their body has matured but their game has not improved.  Look at professionals like Kobe, Durant, Melo, CP3, etc...These guys to this day put up several shots a day. 
I think that Summer League is good thing for coaches to try to keep their players together and having their players looking forward to the next season.

A great example of hard work and dedication was shown this past year when the PG from Lewisville Marcus (Phil Forte) MADE 600 '3s' after practice every day before hitting the showers. Most kids today have too many other 'options' for entertainment that MOST of us didn't have growing up.

http://www.wfaa.com/sports/headlines/Marcus-guards-deadeye-from-distance-worthy-of-Final-Four-contest-144751005.html

Good article, but personally I think its a waste of time (for guards) to practice 3's all the time. In game situations, da sweet mid range jumper (SMRJ) is the shot of choice and the most available in game situations.
And looking at kids today, the SMRJ is the hardest shot to make ;) But I do feel the "3" is like a dunk in a game, its what I call the "wow" factor. I know a kid who gets a lot of hype and plays at a major powerhouse high school in the Houston area. Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma, and I heard a couple of ACC schools. He'll shoot 10-15 3's in a game on his summer team and in an average game, will hit 2 maybe 3 of those shots.But guess what! Those 2-3 shots makes him look like a shooter. Yates' players are the same way. Can't shoot but dunking is such a "wow" factor that their poor shooting is overlooked.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1206782" timestamp="1333640121"]
Good article, but personally I think its a waste of time (for guards) to practice 3's all the time. In game situations, da sweet mid range jumper (SMRJ) is the shot of choice and the most available in game situations.
And looking at kids today, the SMRJ is the hardest shot to make ;) But I do feel the "3" is like a dunk in a game, its what I call the "wow" factor. I know a kid who gets a lot of hype and plays at a major powerhouse high school in the Houston area. Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma, and I heard a couple of ACC schools. He'll shoot 10-15 3's in a game on his summer team and in an average game, will hit 2 maybe 3 of those shots.But
guess what! Those 2-3 shots makes him look like a shooter. Yates' players are the same way. Can't shoot but dunking is such a "wow" factor that their poor shooting is overlooked.
[/quote]
I agree that the SMRJ is more difficult for kids today bc there is more value in a dunk or a 3-pointer. When you and I played, no 3-point line existed, so a 14' jump shot was just as valuable as a 20' shot, and the 14' shot was a higher percentage shot. These days, most guards in HS either score (from the field) by making 3's and lay-ups. No surprise that the SMRJ is all but extinct, it's value has diminished.

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1206810" timestamp="1333641658"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=98548.msg1206782#msg1206782 date=1333640121]
And looking at kids today, the SMRJ is the hardest shot to make ;) But I do feel the "3" is like a dunk in a game, its what I call the "wow" factor. I know a kid who gets a lot of hype and plays at a major powerhouse high school in the Houston area. Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma, and I heard a couple of ACC schools. He'll shoot 10-15 3's in a game on his summer team and in an average game, will hit 2 maybe 3 of those shots.But
guess what! Those 2-3 shots makes him look like a shooter. Yates' players are the same way. Can't shoot but dunking is such a "wow" factor that their poor shooting is overlooked.
[/quote]
I agree that the SMRJ is more difficult for kids today bc there is more value in a dunk or a 3-pointer. When you and I played, no 3-point line existed, so a 14' jump shot was just as valuable as a 20' shot, and the 14' shot was a higher percentage shot. These days, most guards in HS either score (from the field) by making 3's and lay-ups. No surprise that the SMRJ is all but extinct, it's value has diminished.
[/quote]Now Abe, you know you have me by  :-X years  ;D

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1206812" timestamp="1333641922"]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=98548.msg1206810#msg1206810 date=1333641658]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=98548.msg1206782#msg1206782 date=1333640121]
And looking at kids today, the SMRJ is the hardest shot to make ;) But I do feel the "3" is like a dunk in a game, its what I call the "wow" factor.
I know a kid who gets a lot of hype and plays at a major powerhouse high school in the Houston area. Texas, Baylor, Oklahoma, and I heard a couple of ACC schools. He'll shoot 10-15 3's in a game on his summer team and in an average game, will hit 2 maybe 3 of those shots.But
[/quote]
I agree that the SMRJ is more difficult for kids today bc there is more value in a dunk or a 3-pointer. When you and I played, no 3-point line
existed, so a 14' jump shot was just as valuable as a 20' shot, and the 14' shot was a higher percentage shot. These days, most guards in HS either score (from the field) by making 3's and lay-ups. No surprise that the SMRJ is all but extinct, it's value has diminished.
[/quote]Now Abe, you know you have me by  :-X years  ;D
[/quote]
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Quite Frankly BlueDove:
I agree with you, I think that the mid-range jumper is a lost art.  You said Yates was not a great shooting team, but in the few times that I saw them, it seems they shot the ball really really well with the exception of the state championship game.  In the state semi-final game Yates shot 10 for 27 from 3 pt range but it felt like they shot lights out.  Making ten 3 pointers in a high school game is pretty good.  Perception is reality my friend.  The ball player Forte, from Flower Mound, shot all of those 3 pointers each day, but I ask you what did it get him?  It got him, a 5'9" 2-guard, not a point guard, with average handles, average foot speed, a scholarship to Oklahoma State University.  Who (Forte) by the way was the MVP of the 5A Championship game against the #3 and #5 players in the nation of the Class of 2013.  Should he have practiced 3's all the time? probably not, but it sure paid off for him.

[quote name="uandme08" post="1206891" timestamp="1333650793"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=98548.msg1206815#msg1206815 date=1333642088]
I guess this tourney will give a preview for what the area teams will have next season, or will most of the players still be in Spring football practice?
[/quote]

And in track.....
[/quote] Oh yeah! That other sport  ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami