Orangefield board votes to keep football coach

[quote name="bobcat4life" post="1205188" timestamp="1333383150"]
OH Mr. Little, you know I love you and we go back a long way.  I also know that a lot of what you say, or don't say is to stir things up.  Here are a few questions I have for you;
1. How should an AD be judged? 
2. Wins and losses?
3. Number of kids in the program?
4. Overall morale and unity of the school?
Secondly, who told you or anyone else for that matter it was the kids that received discipline last year?  Sure they were the school board's kids, but, to my knowledge, Mr. McAlpin, the principal, administered the discipline, NOT Huck.  Funny, I haven't heard one negative word concerning McAlpin.  Those kids confessed, they were not caught.  They could have lied about it, but they didn't.  They then faced their discipline, and went on.  In short, the issues going on have zero to do with the discipline those boys faced, but rather a difference of opinion in certain facets of the athletic program. For anyone to say different is irresponsible.  Secondly, the boys we are talking about are just that.... boys.  Not sure which kids aren't susceptible to making mistakes.
Here is the other deal, when the board suggested months ago they would like to see a class for basketball kids, etc. It was a recommendation to the Supt.  Why there is this huge panic with everyone running around screaming about the school board is a mystery to me.  I know every one of them personally.  I do not agree with each of them on every issue, but I will say this, they are all in it for the benefit of kids. Period.
[/quote]

Love you too buddy, I will be more than glad to answer your questions. I don't personally put much stock in wins and loses but he has done pretty good with what he has. I still think it is about preparing young men for the real world. The answer to number 3 and 4 is "No". Also I have been thinking about our conversation we had the other day and while you pointed out all the negatives about the AD, on the flip side of that I have been told by parents and kids that they have learned so much from the AD about life in the real world. They had nothing but praise for him. So I guess it depends on what parent and what kid. There seems to be a difference of opinion on both sides. Second who are you talking to on your second remarks? I have never said anything about the discipline of the kids nor have I bashed the school board. I have not mentioned any names either. So I really have no clue what you are talking about. Am I aware of the situation but have not spoke of it on here. I have only shown my support for the AD and the head girls basketball coach.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then I guess that part didn't pertain to you.  Have you heard the song, "you're so vain...." lol Here is the deal Solo, or whatever your name is today... :) My biggest problem are the people beating up the school board.  What is the difference between my taking up for them, and all of the people running around taking up for Huck.  Other than the fact they are all from the community, don't get paid for their thankless job and can't even speak up on their own behalf because of law suits.  Contrary to what you believe, I do not dislike the man.  As far as the folks who have told you how many life lessons their sons have learned, what are they exactly? (Don't forget I've had 2 sons play for him) Secondly, if they had played for say, Stump in BC, would those lessons have been different?  The fact is that sometimes, you learn those lessons from being involved in sports, no matter where you go to school. 

Also, Mr. Solo, tell me please exactly what the board has done that has everyone up in the air?  The fact that the new Supt. made some immediate changes in the program based on 2 things, either they put coaches in a direct line of fire from a liability standpoint, or they violated a UIL rule makes her a God send as far as I can see.  I have never met the lady, but if your employees are performing a task, (in this case monitoring sled pulls) that they PERSONALLY can be sued for, not the district, but individually, wouldn't you want them to stop it?  She didn't say, hey you can't have any discipline.  They can run stands, flip tires, run, etc. All this stuff has been blown completely out of line.  (ps. when did you change your name from Bleed, I liked that better)

I changed my name because I got mad at setxsports. com and deleted my account but could not stand it and came back. LOL!!!! Yes I sing that song all the time. I did not go into detail with the kids they just told me that since they have graduated that some of the lessons the AD taught them has helped them in life. Could be work ethic, being accountable for your actions, paying the price to obtains goals, discipline and so on. You will have ask the other people what they think of the school board. I really have not said much about the school board except that it would be a mistake to get rid of Huck. Why other people are fired up, I have no clue. I have not said either way whether I support them or not. I personally have no problem with you taking up for the school board, that's your right and choice. Just like the people who chose to support Huck. That's why we live in this country. Maybe your kids did'nt learn like some others did I can't explain that part except all kids are different. Maybe you need to talk to the people and their kids who support Huck. They can answer your questions better than me. The question about Stump, could the lessons be different? Sure they can but you will have to ask the BC kids about that. Each coach has their own way of doing things. As far as the interm Supt changing things. I COULD CARE LESS!!!!!! hahaha !!!! That is between her and the AD. You won't hear me complaining about that. I saw a friend in K-Dans the other day and they said, I heard you was running for school board. I said not no but HELL NO!!!!!! I have done my time being involved in orangefield.  ;D ;D

So in other words, you really have no clue what is going on??? lol And Josh loves Huck.  I'm not trying to tell you that as a football coach he doesn't have some things I admire and respect.  What I am trying to say is that someone has thrown this deal WAY out of porportion.  And, my friend, when you comment on threads such as this, you are involved, whether you like it or not :)

[quote name="bobcat4life" post="1205353" timestamp="1333396489"]
So in other words, you really have no clue what is going on??? lol And Josh loves Huck.  I'm not trying to tell you that as a football coach he doesn't have some things I admire and respect.  What I am trying to say is that someone has thrown this deal WAY out of porportion.  And, my friend, when you comment on threads such as this, you are involved, whether you like it or not :)
[/quote]

Wrong again, yes I do know whats going on. Just not going to put it on here. If you feel you know everything then feel free to enlighten us. You will not get a rise out of me. I know Josh liked him. Josh is a coachable kid that gave everything he had, right up the AD's alley. Never said your kids did not like the AD,  you was the one that said Don't forget I had 2 sons that played for him. It also funny that when Josh played for the AD you rarley said anything about the AD except the offense was methodical.  ;D ;D If these message boards change the thinking of a person then that person was not sure of him/ herself to begin with.

Once again Solo cup, you are missing the point.  The idea that people would like a more balanced Athletic program, does not mean that they are anti football.  That is exactly what this is all about.  It is not about 3 young men that made a mistake, it is not about pulling sleds, it is about the fact that there is a significant difference in how the programs are treated.  Case in point; The basketball program did not have one coach with real basketball experience, not one, other than the head coach.  And I'm talking about from the 7th grade up.  Don't get me wrong I think Prouse does a great job with it, even though he really hates the sport.  How many coaches are hired based on ANY experience other than football experience? So let's cut the bull, and all of the goofy comments about if you don't like the way things are then you want a soft program, cuz I haven't heard one comment about that, other than from people that are just throwing rocks.  In my humble opinion hard work isn't the problem.  Here's another question for you Solo cup, (I'm beginning to like the new name) why didn't any of his coaches show up for either meeting?  Do you think they are soft, or want a weaker, less disciplined program? I don't think so scooter :) 

No need for name calling.  ;D ;D ;D You are beating a dead horse. You just love putting words in my mouth. What point? All you are doing is rambling. Why do you keep bringing up the 3 boys, I have never said anything about that. I guess you like hearing yourself talk or maybe you are getting old and just repeat yourself. Your new name is peat and repeat.  ;) ;)
When we talked the other day I said Coach Peveto could not coach in this day and time. You said yes he could, well Coach Peveto as you well know hired all football coaches and he would never agree to have a basketball/ baseball class.  This has been going on FOREVER. Knock Knock, where have you been for the last 30 years?
I could be wrong but coach Sanders was the first coach that I can remember who was hired just for basketball. It is not realistic to think you can have experienced coaches in every sport at the junior high level and up. Not at a 3A school anyway. This has nothing to do with football. I don't care if you hire an experienced coach in each sport at every level, It will be hard for Orangefield to compete year in year out like WOS, Silsbee or BC does.
Who said anything about wanting a soft program or about how hard the kids work? Where did that come from? Maybe someone else told you that but I have not said any of those things on this thread. Hey man go back to college get your degree become the AD and change things until then don't judge until you have walked in those shoes. If you do not dislike the guy then why are you on here?  Does not matter who they bring in as AD nothing will change. Is this like a national poll were we can sway votes? If it is then sextxsports has more power then I thought. I still love you though.  ;D ;D
Coach Peveto knew that the key to a successful football team was a good track program. How well do you think it would go over today if he said my football players have to run track?

[quote name="bobcat4life" post="1205377" timestamp="1333401914"]
Once again Solo cup, you are missing the point.  The idea that people would like a more balanced Athletic program, does not mean that they are anti football.  That is exactly what this is all about.  It is not about 3 young men that made a mistake, it is not about pulling sleds, it is about the fact that there is a significant difference in how the programs are treated.  Case in point; The basketball program did not have one coach with real basketball experience, not one, other than the head coach.  And I'm talking about from the 7th grade up.  Don't get me wrong I think Prouse does a great job with it, even though he really hates the sport.  How many coaches are hired based on ANY experience other than football experience? So let's cut the bull, and all of the goofy comments about if you don't like the way things are then you want a soft program, cuz I haven't heard one comment about that, other than from people that are just throwing rocks.  In my humble opinion hard work isn't the problem.  Here's another question for you Solo cup, (I'm beginning to like the new name) [color=red]why didn't any of his coaches show up for either meeting?  Do you think they are soft, or want a weaker, less disciplined program? I don't think so scooter :) [/color] [/quote]

Forgot to answer your last question. I will give it my best shot. Maybe because they work 10-14 hours a day and want to spend time with their family. This is a dog eat dog world and we live in corporate America. The school system is no different. Does not matter who you step on to get to the top. Since you pretty much know, why not go ahead and throw the assistant coaches under the bus you pretty much already have. I would like to know how many employee's would go to a meeting for their CEO in the same situation?

Just going to but in here, but Nederland and most all high school programs in Texas hire in the same fashion as you're complaining about in OF. My suggestion would be to move to another state, prolly a coupla hundred miles north as this is TEXAS and FOOTBALL is KING.  You ain't changing that.

Red Solo Cup, you are a little sensitive in your advanced age :) Let me be clear, I had read all of the other thread where someone went wild talking about how anyone who doesn't like the current program must hate discipline and hard work.  Its not always about you buddy :) Secondly, when we were in High School 100 years ago and Peveto was the AD we had Riddick, Rice and Condrey as basketball coaches.  Every single one had basketball experience. Also on the 3 boys, once again...."your so vain...." wasn't you buddy.  But, a lot of people in the community have that idea in their mind, cuz certain people from within the district are putting that out there. As far as Nederland's program is concerned, is that a joke?? They hired one of the best, hard working basketball coaches in this area and let him have a year around program.  Don't misunderstand, I want to win in everything we participate in, and I am even ok with a football coach running the show, as long as he is fair to all the coaches sports, and their respective kids.  Randy Theriot did it at OF, tell me the difference 12 years later?

[quote name="bobcat4life" post="1205548" timestamp="1333454668"]
One More thing my good friend, don't tell me about rambling and beating a dead horse when I know your getting warmed up for a "lesson's learned, the good ole days" speech :)
[/quote]

Well my friend you are funny as always. I am not sensitive, ;) ;) whatever do you mean? LOL!!! Your were talking to me so firgured you was directing at me. In the future quote the person who said it that way there won't be a misunderstanding. Even if you do there will probably still be a misunderstanding because people always read into something thats simply not there sometimes. The life of a message board. Sorry to disappoint you but I quit giving that speech a long time ago. Nobody listens and think I am this "Old Man" reliving my younger years. LOL!!!On a serious note I don't have a problem with you agreeing with the school board. That is your choice and I too would like to win in everything but I have to be real also and realize that is a far fetched like.

[quote name="bobcat4life" post="1205598" timestamp="1333462729"]
I should re state that comment.  I know that we cannot win in everything, however,[b] I do believe that we can always give our best effort at winning in everything[/b].  As long as we do that, I am good to go.  ;D
[/quote]

Are you questioning the effort given to win over the past few years?

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1205608" timestamp="1333465090"]
[quote author=bobcat4life link=topic=98194.msg1205598#msg1205598 date=1333462729]
I should re state that comment.  I know that we cannot win in everything, however,[b] I do believe that we can always give our best effort at winning in everything[/b].  As long as we do that, I am good to go.  ;D
[/quote]

[/quote]

Not in Football

[quote name="bobcat4life" post="1205609" timestamp="1333465298"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=98194.msg1205608#msg1205608 date=1333465090]
[quote author=bobcat4life link=topic=98194.msg1205598#msg1205598 date=1333462729]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Not in Football
[/quote]

I have to disagree. All Orangefield teams in every sport that I have personally seen give great effort.

Lets don't confuse effort with preparedness.  ;)

Well Aggie, if you are talking about efforts from kids, then I agree with you. Here is what I am saying; If you are an AD, and responsible for all sports, both girls and boys, at each level, then aren't you responsible for them?  OF had a junior high coach this year in basketball that would routinely tell the kids how much he hated the sport, how he signed on to coach football and he wanted no part of coaching basketball.  Now, I can understand that, but when you don't give your best effort at coaching, you shouldn't be there.  It is about kids, and not him.  There are many of us who routinely perform duties in our jobs that we don't like to do, but we do them or get fired. 
The issue currently is that we want to put our best foot forward in each sport.  If we start playing marbles, then I would like to see whoever coaches that sport do their best.  Is that too much to ask? And if we have a kid that wants to be the best marble player ever and he doesn't play another sport, then we should be there for him to do that. And if we put a baby sitter with them that doesn't like the sport, we aren't giving our best effort as a school.

[quote name="bobcat4life" post="1205622" timestamp="1333466309"]
Well Aggie, if you are talking about efforts from kids, then I agree with you. Here is what I am saying; If you are an AD, and responsible for all sports, both girls and boys, at each level, then aren't you responsible for them?  OF had a junior high coach this year in basketball that would routinely tell the kids how much he hated the sport, how he signed on to coach football and he wanted no part of coaching basketball.  Now, I can understand that, but when you don't give your best effort at coaching, you shouldn't be there.  It is about kids, and not him.  There are many of us who routinely perform duties in our jobs that we don't like to do, but we do them or get fired. 
The issue currently is that we want to put our best foot forward in each sport.  If we start playing marbles, then I would like to see whoever coaches that sport do their best.  Is that too much to ask? And if we have a kid that wants to be the best marble player ever and he doesn't play another sport, then we should be there for him to do that. And if we put a baby sitter with them that doesn't like the sport, we aren't giving our best effort as a school.
[/quote]

On the flip side of that hiring coaches are like a box of chocolate, you never know what you are going to get. I agree that coach should not have said that but you know as well as I do you never really know what a coach is like until after you hire them. Unless you know them before hand of course.

Amen Solo, but here is my issue.  If a coach or teacher is complaining openly to kids about their job the solution is simple.  Don't renew their contract.  Kind of like if you were running around in your job complaining to your customer's that the company that you are working for isn't a good company, or just generally stirring strife, what would happen?  They fire you for that, and you deserve it :)

[quote name="bobcat4life" post="1205673" timestamp="1333473065"]
Amen Solo, but here is my issue.  If a coach or teacher is complaining openly to kids about their job the solution is simple.  Don't renew their contract.  Kind of like if you were running around in your job complaining to your customer's that the company that you are working for isn't a good company, or just generally stirring strife, what would happen?  They fire you for that, and you deserve it :)
[/quote]

But here is my issue, I don't put much stock in what kids say because I have seen over and over teachers and coaches livelyhood was ruined because some kid said something because he/she did not like the coach/teacher. It is kind of like the cry wolf theory. This happens more and more these days. Example: coach Jones back in the 90's got accused of sexual harassment by a young girl at the junior high and come to find out the young girl was lying about the whole deal. But the damage was done.
Not saying the coach did not say that but I am not so quick to believe a 13 or 14 year old kid because they will tell you whatever it takes to stay out of trouble. Hey man we was young once. We did not always tell the truth to our parents. The kids nowdays know how to work the system. In someways you can compare the school system with corporate America and someways you can't. So many cry wolf these days that the actual true abuse goes unnoticed. Really sad society we live in today.

OK, I have heard some of these coaches with my own ears.  I have watched them sit on a bench during a game and laugh and look completely disinterested while they are losing.  If I were them, I would at least learn how to fake being interested. But it all goes back to my main point.  It is the AD's job, as the person responsible for the Athletic Program, to help these young men that are coaches do the best job they can do.