Kevin Flanagan's record.

Flanigan, by my calculation was 51-38 at Crosby.  He had only 2 losing seasons, his first year there at 3-7 in 2004 and in 2010 at 5-7 (even though he did make the playoffs that year). 

He took the Cougars to the playoffs every year except his first year of 2004.  Crosby went 2 rounds deep in 2008-2010 and 3 rounds deep in 2009.

He also coached Orangefield into the playoffs while head coach there and had a 4 round playoff run with 2A Troup in 1998.

Crosby is in, what, 19-4A? Not a powerhouse 4A district, some would say. How does the level of competition in that 4A district, compare to what he's going to see in 21-5A? NS, PAM, LP, DP.....these aren't scrub 5A teams! I am optimistic, and hopeful, that this guy can keep WB at the top of the heap without missing a beat. Good luck to him. I hope he does a fantastic job, at WB. This could certainly be the most talent rich school he has coached at. Let's hope he uses it wisely!

[quote name="82 5A State Champs" post="1185101" timestamp="1330134155"]
Crosby is in, what, 19-4A? Not a powerhouse 4A district, some would say. How does the level of competition in that 4A district, compare to what he's going to see in 21-5A? NS, PAM, LP, DP.....these aren't scrub 5A teams! I am optimistic, and hopeful, that this guy can keep WB at the top of the heap without missing a beat. Good luck to him. I hope he does a fantastic job, at WB. This could certainly be the most talent rich school he has coached at. Let's hope he uses it wisely!
[/quote]19-4A has split almost every year with 20-4A in playoffs.  The talent level is the same. As for your worry's let me put it at ease. He is a great X and O man.  He knows how to attack every D. on the ground and in the air.  He has done well in Crosby with the spread even with QB's and WR that are not what you call "outstanding".  Merka was a good QB but not what you call a pocket passer.  Flanigan knows how to adjust his offense to the type of players he has.  A great coach and  person.  Count your blessings.  WB just got better IMO..

[quote name="82 5A State Champs" post="1185101" timestamp="1330134155"]
[/quote]
True, but his talent pool is also stronger at WB than it was with Crosby.

I would point to the fact that Crosby made some decent playoff runs under Flanigan with teams that were not loaded with talent. They also seamed to get better as the season progressed each year and played there best ball at playoff time. These are both signs of a well coached team.  I agree he will need a good DC hire though.

I like the WB hire.

[quote name="badndn" post="1186722" timestamp="1330362193"]
I would point to the fact that Crosby made some decent playoff runs under Flanigan with teams that were not loaded with talent. They also seamed to get better as the season progressed each year and played there best ball at playoff time. These are both signs of a well coached team.  I agree he will need a good DC hire though.

I like the WB hire.
[/quote]

One of the unfortunate things for Flanigan/Crosby's playoff records was, that they had to play Dayton in the first round. I know what this sounds like but hear me out, if they had drawn another opponent those years they may have made deeper runs. The record books may look a lot different if that wasn't the case.

[quote name="bronco1" post="1186821" timestamp="1330370130"]
[quote author=badndn link=topic=96594.msg1186722#msg1186722 date=1330362193]

I like the WB hire.
[/quote]

One of the unfortunate things for Flanigan/Crosby's playoff records was, that they had to play Dayton in the first round. I know what this sounds like but hear me out, if they had drawn another opponent those years they may have made deeper runs. The record books may look a lot different if that wasn't the case.
[/quote] ::) A cheap opportunity to plug in Dayton  ::)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1186947" timestamp="1330380992"]
[quote author=bronco1 link=topic=96594.msg1186821#msg1186821 date=1330370130]

I like the WB hire.
[/quote]

[/quote]
May I correct that----ANOTHER cheap--------- ;D

[quote name="WeedBegone" post="1186988" timestamp="1330386864"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=96594.msg1186947#msg1186947 date=1330380992]
[quote author=bronco1 link=topic=96594.msg1186821#msg1186821 date=1330370130]

I like the WB hire.
[/quote]

[/quote]
May I correct that----ANOTHER cheap--------- ;D
[/quote]

I knew how it sounded when I typed it, it wasn't my intention but its true. @Bluedduck your comment was just another cheap attempt to hate on Dayton. Thats OK, you gotta get your shots where you can. ;)

[quote name="82 5A State Champs" post="1187629" timestamp="1330454908"]
He's evidentally an offensive minded coach, but what type of offense does he run?
[/quote]
Spread in Crosby, with an athletic QB not a great passer, so I'm sure with the athletes WB has he would run the same offense.

• 3 weeks later...
He Runs a spread system, the system is based off of the read option play. Depending on his QB he does different things. For example with a big QB (Merka) He ran the ball in heavy double Tackle sets so that his best blockers would all be on one side of the line and then he rammed the ball down teams throats with a constant running game. In a smaller situation Aston Walter he ran alot of read option plays with screen passes and short routes, as well he ran a lot of fake read plays so (Fake read triple option, fake read pass, QB Wrap.) With a better passer wide out core 08 with Durran Starks we threw the ball a great deal with some qb runs, but far more passing ebcause he had the better arm.

Regardless Flannigan wants to run the ball out of the spread, and will pas the ball when it's needed. he is 100% offensive minded he will give complete control of the defense over to the defensive coordinator.

Spoke to Flanigan a week or two ago. Sounds like the offense will not be much different than when Stump was here; no TE, Shotgun, athletic QB. Flanigan seems like a great hire and he's definitely enthusiastic and determined to keep this team winning.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder