Take 2: Should teams flip or play?

i don't have a problem with them playing OR flipping.  i'd love to see HJ and Silsbee get a huge challenge right before playoffs to get their frame of mind back to competitive basketball, and away from the blowouts they've lined up in district.  that being said, i can also understand a coach wanting to flip and avoid wearing the kids out, or maybe lining up a warmup game against a lesser opponent to work on some things against a team of the caliber that they'll be playing in the first round or two. 

as a fan, i'd love to watch a 3rd game between HJ and Silsbee.

It depends on the situation and if its really necessary...I do not like warm up games...never did....BLUEDOVE3 was the PG on my dad's 33-3 team in the 70's (wont tell your age Dove) and he ended up getting hurt in a warm up game against Wheatley..My dad said it cost him a trip to Austin, and he never played a warm up game that did not matter again....Injuries are not the only issue here...You don't want to go into the playoffs with a loss that you did not have to take just for the sake of playing in a warm up game....momentum is huge when the playoffs hit..If you don't HAVE to play, then I don't think it helps at all at that point in the season.

[quote name="ST413" post="1175190" timestamp="1328831118"]
I can understand the injury worry but,  (I don't know how it was then) the first place team now can have a from tuesday until the following friday. I would think you would want a game in there just to stay sharp.
[/quote]
P-R-A-C-T-I-C-E... ;)....At that point in the season, I would not worry about game sharpness...You have played a pre district and full district schedule..I just fine tune at that point... ;)

Of course there is...a kid could get injured on the steps in the hallway too!  :D...I just think that your regular practice routine, less the conditioning, is essential at this point in the year..(if your team is not in shape at this point of the season, you're not going to get there anyway) You work on your stuff, then work on what your next opponent does...preparation...At this point in the year, your practice time is considerably shorter, and you do a lot of shooting and repetition work, in addition to game prep..fine tuning.. 8)

[quote name="bullets13" post="1175159" timestamp="1328827815"]
i don't have a problem with them playing OR flipping.  i'd love to see HJ and Silsbee get a huge challenge right before playoffs to get their frame of mind back to competitive basketball, and away from the blowouts they've lined up in district.  that being said, i can also understand a coach wanting to flip and avoid wearing the kids out, or maybe lining up a warmup game against a lesser opponent to work on some things against a team of the caliber that they'll be playing in the first round or two. 

[b]
as a fan, i'd love to watch a 3rd game between HJ and Silsbee.[/b]
[/quote]Hopefully you will!  In Hunstville!

[quote name="TeamJag-US" post="1175294" timestamp="1328851799"]
They should go by FT percentage....but thats not an option is it? But in this case I don't think it makes any sense (other than the immense entertainment value) for them to play each other, they've both shown they can go toe to toe, let 'em settle the on court issue later on.
[/quote]Yes, But that's the point.  In both Nederland/Central's case and H-J/Silsbee's case, this would be good.  Both teams benefit.  H-J and Silsbee had 2 close games.  Central and Nederland had 1 close non district game and the 2 district games were blowouts for each team, which means that these teams are more evenly matched than some would think.  Let them play.  They're kids (very durable).  The chances of injury in Basketball is there, no doubt, but generally speaking, Basket ball is not as physical of a sport like other sports, IMO.  I would love for these matchups to happen. But If they chose the flipping option, I would not have a problem with that.

[quote name="TeamJag-US" post="1175294" timestamp="1328851799"]
They should go by FT percentage....but thats not an option is it? But in this case I don't think it makes any sense (other than the immense entertainment value) for them to play each other, they've both shown they can go toe to toe, let 'em settle the on court issue later on.
[/quote]
:o :o ::) ::)....Uhhhh, no...FT percentage? really? ::)

If it's for the District Championship, I would rather play and let the kids decide.
If it's for 3rd or 4th place seeding, maybe not.
Warm-up games, I don't think that I would play a warm-up game, primarily because of the risk of an injury.

Also, tensions could rise, and things get out of hand, and players get into a scuffle, and other players leave the bench, and you will have suspensions.  I know that this scenario is less likely, but I would not risk getting a player injured.  It's the same reason that some NFL teams will sit out starters for the last game if they have made the playoffs and there is nothing to gain by winning, or nothing lost in incurring a loss.

[quote name="bball2011" post="1177096" timestamp="1329159208"]
OK, I heard that HJ wants to play a playoff game instead of a flip...but Silsbee doesn't and if Silsbee doesn't it would be considered a forfeit, then Hj would be considered to be the lower seed. I'm not sure how that makes since??
[/quote]

don't know where you heard it, but no way this is correct.

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1177127" timestamp="1329161246"]
[quote author=bballgod link=topic=95721.msg1177124#msg1177124 date=1329161176]
Both coaches have to agree to flip.  If one wants to play, then you play.  If the coach refuses, then it is a forfeit and the other team gets the better seeding.
[/quote]

This is 100% correct.
[/quote]Let them play...  for us fans!  8)

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1177131" timestamp="1329161424"]
Both coaches have to agree to flip.  If one wants to play, then you play.  If the coach refuses, then it is a [b]forfeit[/b] and the other team gets the better seeding.
[/quote]

Forfeit or concession?
[/quote]

Result would be the same!!

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1177134" timestamp="1329161751"]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=95721.msg1177127#msg1177127 date=1329161246]
Both coaches have to agree to flip.  If one wants to play, then you play.  If the coach refuses, then it is a forfeit and the other team gets the better seeding.
[/quote]

This is 100% correct.
[/quote]

I agree.  Assuming that both teams win tomorrow night a decision would be made on Wednesday morning.  I hope that they both agree to play.

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1177137" timestamp="1329161886"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=95721.msg1177134#msg1177134 date=1329161751]
[/quote]

This is 100% correct.
[/quote]

I agree.  Assuming that both teams win tomorrow night a decision would be made on Wednesday morning. [b] I hope that they both agree to play.[/b]
[/quote]

I don't see it happening.

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="1177134" timestamp="1329161751"]
[/quote]

This is 100% correct.
[/quote]

If they play, will you show up with a dunk-o-meter?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder