How important is Sportsmanship

I love to watch someone play hard and physical and give it their all, within the rules. If you hard foul someone going for a layup, or if an opponent is on the floor and you are able, reach out and help them up. Let your game speak for itself, and keep your mouth shut. Cockiness and arrogance IMO are a big turnoff. I cant help but like any player that plays hard, shows good sportsmanship, and respects the game. IMO this reflects well on the players parents as well.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1174603" timestamp="1328738022"]
Inflammatory?  I just said I was curious.

To paraphrase Hamlet: Me thinks the gentleman doth protest a bit too loudly.
[/quote]

After reading this thread many times and trying to wrap more poor little country brain around everything that was said...your couriosity could only lead to two responses...one being negative, and one being positive... However the way in which a worded the heading appears as though it stemmed from a recent event as you stated... I did think that you thought that I must have had a recent issue, maybe with your hometown team, which I can understand you wanting to defend them. This I understand, just as you have witnessed the same thing from me before. I can assure you that as far as the kids at WOS I have the utmost respect for them, over the last 3 or 4 years ...I have been very impressed with their sportsmanship...If its worth anything I don't mean to be so cliche, but I thought you were reading a book by its cover..I respect your loyalty to your school. I do think that you thought my response would have been inflammatory just as stevenash said..but I would have tried my best to pull it out of you if the roles were reversed...that you know to be true as well unfortunately.. No disrespect meant... Just everyone trying to defend there extended family...

[quote name="PoppaBearstarr" post="1174973" timestamp="1328806740"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=95691.msg1174717#msg1174717 date=1328755655]
[img]http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/laughter-new.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Thanks Nash now I feel better.....
[/quote]

that's nash with the glasses on the far right, isn't it?

[quote name="bullets13" post="1175200" timestamp="1328832092"]
[quote author=PoppaBearstarr link=topic=95691.msg1174973#msg1174973 date=1328806740]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=95691.msg1174717#msg1174717 date=1328755655]
[img]http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/laughter-new.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Thanks Nash now I feel better.....
[/quote]

that's nash with the glasses on the far right, isn't it?
[/quote]

Can't be.  I have never been that close to that many women at once in my life.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1174654" timestamp="1328744153"]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=95691.msg1174626#msg1174626 date=1328740700]
[quote author=Pumper link=topic=95691.msg1174608#msg1174608 date=1328738561]
My two cents:  Coaches should teach players not to talk back to the refs, or to the opposing fans.  Nothing good comes from it.  Coach or team captain should be the only ones addressing the refs.

A little back and forth between the players is almost unpreventable.  Though if I see my sons doing it, they will hear from me.  Never be the one to start something, but don't allow yourself to be intimidated either.  Sometimes you have to protect yourself and your team-mates, and you can do that without being dirty.  Physical is another story. 

Taunting another player should result in a technical if the ref sees it. 

At the HS level, the teams should shake hands after the game.  Though I am not personally a big fan of the players fist bumping the refs and/or opposing coach before the game as has become normal during the pregame introductions.  It's fine, but I find it unnecessary.

Play as hard as you can between the lines, but act in a way that would make your momma proud.
[/quote]

Best post I have [b]heard[/b] in a long time!!!!
[/quote]

Well I am still waiting to "hear" this post but I have "read" it and I do agree with it 100%!!  ;) ;D
[/quote]

Read, heard, whatever!!!  You know what I meant. 

Too bad some teams and players do not agree 100%!!!

[b][i][color=pink]"What is sportmanship really some say spiking a football is unsportsman like. I say its a part of the game why shouldnt a kid celebrate scoring plus the mental part comes in look at tiger half of them golfers were playing for second before the first tee shot. Until they realized hes human like them. So hootin and hollering is part of getting in the other teams head if they dont think they can they probably wont even if they are a better player. As a famous baseball coach once said cheating is fair till you get caught thats why they put umps in the game. And i bet most coaches would agree with that statement".[/color][/i][/b]Exhibit A

Didnt know we were having a trial on here. Would you like exhibit b. Babe Zaharias also would walk in and ask the ladys whos playing for second before a tee time guess since she was being unsportsman like we shouldn't recognize her in this area. Myself I love her shows how much heart players in this area have.

I think many of us live in a world brought up on american fable and expect our real lives to parallel with our historical and sports  heroes. No one is innocent. Babe Ruth, a great american sports hero was no saint. The guy chased a fan once into the bleachers. Do I hold this against him? Nope! He was human. We all make mistakes. The key is to learn from your mistakes and never make the same mistake twice.

I think we can all agree that kids will be kids.  The real question is to what standard do the coaches hold the kids actions.  What are they teaching the kids about sportsmanship.  Nowadays, like everything else, many kids are not learning it at home.  This teaching of sportsmanship should start at a young age also. 

[quote name="pete092775" post="1175494" timestamp="1328898310"]
Didnt know we were having a trial on here. Would you like exhibit b. Babe Zaharias also would walk in and ask the ladys whos playing for second before a tee time guess since she was being unsportsman like we shouldn't recognize her in this area. Myself I love her shows how much heart players in this area have.
[/quote]

Exhibit B

Since my post was removed from another thread I will post it over here.

Someone mentioned that SP from HJ has a bad temper.  I responded with the following:

SP in the past has had a few issues, but he has had a new outlook on playing and has kept it under control this entire year.  He has had ONE tech all year, and it was something that he was provoked on and both players received the tech.

I also commented that I think that it is funny that someone from a certain school would be the one's calling out SP about a bad temper. 

The team I reference is possibly the worst class of any team in SE Texas.  On numerous occasions I have personally seen the team taunt the opposing players, taunt the opposing fans, not shake hands after a game and just walk off the floor, take cheap shots in the "man area" on players driving to the lane or getting a rebound and all of this has video evidence to back it al up.

I also find it odd that there has been no mention of the fight that took place at the YMBL between this team and another team in the hallway after the game.  And yes, there is photo evidence of this issue as well.

It is impossible to control how the kids are taught at home, so it simply lays on the shoulders of the kids and the coaching staff.

Quite simply it is pathetic that any coach would allow this kind of behavior out of their team.

Am anxious to see the excuses for FACTS!!!!

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1175808" timestamp="1328924061"]
I thought this was a thread about sportsmanship and not pointing fingers at teams deemed unsportsmanlike. ::)
[/quote]

Well it started that way, but some people just are not willing to admit to themselves that a certain team has some major issues!!!! ::) ::)

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1175810" timestamp="1328924137"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=95691.msg1175808#msg1175808 date=1328924061]
I thought this was a thread about sportsmanship and not pointing fingers at teams deemed unsportsmanlike. ::)
[/quote]

Well it started that way, but some people just are not willing to admit to themselves that a certain team has some major issues!!!! ::) ::)
[/quote]

I haven't said one way or the other in that situation. I just think it's totally unnecessary and uncalled for on this thread and by a site admin.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1175815" timestamp="1328924328"]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=95691.msg1175810#msg1175810 date=1328924137]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=95691.msg1175808#msg1175808 date=1328924061]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I haven't said one way or the other in that situation. I just think it's totally unnecessary and uncalled for on this thread and by a site admin.
[/quote]

The thread is about SPORTSMANSHIP.......I have not said any kids names!!!

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1175817" timestamp="1328924394"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=95691.msg1175815#msg1175815 date=1328924328]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=95691.msg1175810#msg1175810 date=1328924137]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The thread is about SPORTSMANSHIP.......I have not said any kids names!!!
[/quote]

You are pointing out a specific team, which I do not think was necessary. It doesn't matter to me which team you would have pointed out.

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1175824" timestamp="1328924673"]
Bottom line is if it was any other team that got into the fight at the YMBL it would have been all over this site.  ::) ::)
[/quote]

Honestly, I knew nothing of any fight. That's the truth.

Not saying it didn't happen, but I wasn't aware of it.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1175828" timestamp="1328924779"]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=95691.msg1175824#msg1175824 date=1328924673]
Bottom line is if it was any other team that got into the fight at the YMBL it would have been all over this site.  ::) ::)
[/quote]

[/quote]

Well it did!!!  And photo evidence is in abundance!!!

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="1175830" timestamp="1328924818"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=95691.msg1175828#msg1175828 date=1328924779]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=95691.msg1175824#msg1175824 date=1328924673]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Well it did!!!  And photo evidence is in abundance!!!
[/quote]

Ok, I take your word on it.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont