Spread Offenses and 2012 State Champions

setxguru

After watching all the state championship games this year it is clear that the spread offense is definately the offense that is dominating Texas High School football.  Here is a list of the teams that played this weekend and the primary and then secondary offenses that they ran.  What are some of your opinions on what seems to be an evolution to this style of play?

State Champ                  Runner-up

1A Div I -  Mason - Spread          Stamford - Spread/Pistol
1A Div II -  Tenaha - Spread        Munday - Spread

2A Div I -  Melissa - Spread        Hempstead - Spread
2A Div II -  Refugio - Spread        Cisco - Pistol/Spread/Pro-I

3A Div I -  Chapel Hill - Spread      Alvarado - Pro-I/Spread
3A Div II -  Wimberly - Spread        Argyle - Spread

4A Div I -  Lake Travis - Spread    Waco Midway - Spread
4A Div II -  Aledo - Spread/Pistol    Manvel - Spread

5A Div I -  Southlake Carroll - Spread  Hightower - Spread/Pro-I
5A Div II -  Spring DeKaney -  Pro-I/Spread  Cibolo - Pistol/Spread

If you got a few very athletic offensive skill players and a decent defense, it gives an advantage.  Kids have to be diciplined against it.  Zone defenses are usually too hard for kids to pick-up and run effectively in a few years and man-on-man has it's limitations if you have the few great skill players. 

The goal of an offense is to score more points than their opponent scores. A good defense should be able to shut or slow down any type of offense, including the spread. The talent the coach has to work with usually determines what type of offense they run. I prefer a team to be able to operate more than one type of offense. After all is said and done, the team with the best coaching, the most talent, the desire to win, fewest key injuries, and a lot of luck usually wins, no matter what schemes they run on offense or defense. 

[quote name="Bronco/Cat Fan" post="1149855" timestamp="1324524829"]
The goal of an offense is to score more points than their opponent scores. A good defense should be able to shut or slow down any type of offense, including the spread. The talent the coach has to work with usually determines what type of offense they run. I prefer a team to be able to operate more than one type of offense. After all is said and done, the team with the best coaching, the most talent, the desire to win, fewest key injuries, and a lot of luck usually wins, no matter what schemes they run on offense or defense.
[/quote]

Turnovers and clock management as well. IMO, the key to beating the spread is keeping the opposing team's offense off the field by eating up the clock with your offense, but I'm extremely biased about that.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder