Fight mars end of Ozen's playoff run

SgtRey

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="1132723" timestamp="1322406007"]
La Marque is classless! A bunch of gang members and thugs. My brother teaches their and he can verify everything I tel you. Their drop out rate is like a Black Friday sale! Most kids come to school when they want to and they are well below all their test scores. Half of the football team is over 18 and their grade point average is pushed to a curve to make them all able to play. Come on son!
[/quote]

Little harsh there Badsanta.  ;D ;D

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NEITHER LM or OZEN should move on in the next round of playoffs    . (period)

UIL should deal quickly and make this an example of WHAT NOT TO DO at sports events.

NEITHER LM or OZEN showed SPORTSMANSHIP, whether who started it or not, that simply doesn't matter.  They both acted and reacted, and both were using their EQUIPMENT (that is to be used in the field of play) as WEAPONS.  Shame on them!!!

Cops are not the issue, if that had been one of my sons, COPS would have been the least of their problems.

I SAW firsthand in the NEDERLAND game last night, late hits by the other team, shots to our players head after plays.  THE TRASH before the game by PDawson was disgraceful and their coach is responsible for their lack of respect and discipline.  Good ridance to them, they were not the BETTER TEAM last night. 

Sometimes, LOSING shows more of who are, WINNING just proves it!!!!

The incidents during and after the LM/Ozen game are an embarrassment to LM, Ozen and Texas high school football. Fighting is unacceptable in any situation. Reports are that some players took off and swung helmets at opposing players. We all know helmet-to-helmet hits on the field are illegal and can cause severe injuries. Using a helmet as a weapon, and potentially hitting an unhelmeted opponent in the head, likely qualifies as assault with a deadly weapon. Someone could get killed with a helmet-to-skull impact.

Unfortunately Manvel and Dawson had an off-field (in the parking lot if recall correctly) fighting incident after a 7-on-7 game over the summer. I know 7-on-7 is not UIL sponsored, not that it matters in my mind. The sponsors of that event dealt with it pretty severely and DQ’d both teams. The 11/4 Dawson / Manvel game was surprisingly clean and incident free. The players got the message from the earlier severe punishment.

Bottom line is that all the players involved should get what they deserve – severe punishment and, frankly, criminal prosecution [i][b]if warranted [/b] [/i] (not saying it is warranted, but if video indicates that it is, it needs to happen). Rules should not be bent for any reason – playoffs, timing, etc. It’s much better for all involved to learn a painful lesson in high school when the stakes are relatively low than later in life.

I hope both coaches, schools and school districts, and the UIL, deal with this quickly, decisively and with the severity that it warrants.

This is about high school kids in a learning environment. Learning the life lessons is far more important than any game, even a fourth-round playoff game.

La Marque is classless! A bunch of gang members and thugs. My brother teaches their and he can verify everything I tel you. Their drop out rate is like a Black Friday sale! Most kids come to school when they want to and they are well below all their test scores. Half of the football team is over 18 and their grade point average is pushed to a curve to make them all able to play. Come on son!
[/quote]

If he feels this way why is your brother working there? To me this seems like he is contributing to the problem exhibiting this type of attitude. Can he not get a job somewhere else?

[quote name="thedogs1987" post="1132740" timestamp="1322407082"]

UIL should deal quickly and make this an example of WHAT NOT TO DO at sports events.

NEITHER LM or OZEN showed SPORTSMANSHIP, whether who started it or not, that simply doesn't matter.  They both acted and reacted, and both were using their EQUIPMENT (that is to be used in the field of play) as WEAPONS.  Shame on them!!!

Cops are not the issue, if that had been one of my sons, COPS would have been the least of their problems.

I SAW firsthand in the NEDERLAND game last night, late hits by the other team, shots to our players head after plays.  THE TRASH before the game by PDawson was disgraceful and their coach is responsible for their lack of respect and discipline.  Good ridance to them, they were not the BETTER TEAM last night. 

[/quote]Good Post.

[quote name="RHBoiler" post="1132741" timestamp="1322407100"]
The incidents during and after the LM/Ozen game are an embarrassment to LM, Ozen and Texas high school football. Fighting is unacceptable in any situation. Reports are that some players took off and swung helmets at opposing players. We all know helmet-to-helmet hits on the field are illegal and can cause severe injuries. Using a helmet as a weapon, and potentially hitting an unhelmeted opponent in the head, likely qualifies as assault with a deadly weapon. Someone could get killed with a helmet-to-skull impact.

Unfortunately Manvel and Dawson had an off-field (in the parking lot if recall correctly) fighting incident after a 7-on-7 game over the summer. I know 7-on-7 is not UIL sponsored, not that it matters in my mind. The sponsors of that event dealt with it pretty severely and DQ’d both teams. The 11/4 Dawson / Manvel game was surprisingly clean and incident free. The players got the message from the earlier severe punishment.

Bottom line is that all the players involved should get what they deserve – severe punishment and, frankly, criminal prosecution [i][b]if warranted [/b] [/i] (not saying it is warranted, but if video indicates that it is, it needs to happen). Rules should not be bent for any reason – playoffs, timing, etc. It’s much better for all involved to learn a painful lesson in high school when the stakes are relatively low than later in life.

I hope both coaches, schools and school districts, and the UIL, deal with this quickly, decisively and with the severity that it warrants.

This is about high school kids in a learning environment. Learning the life lessons is far more important than any game, even a fourth-round playoff game.
[/quote]I like the way u think

So let's continue to pass the blame. It's gone from the police to the coaches and to the parents. Other than who's really to blame (thug players), I blame BISD administrators. Did they not see this similar behavior when the Ozen players damaged a locker room to the tune of several thousands of dollars after the Barbers Hill game? Come on, folks, these kids only do what they're allowed to do. BISD administrators could have stomped the punks who caused the damage 2 weeks ago, and the message would have been received by the rest of the team, but that could've/would've resulted in kids being dismissed from the team, and we don't want the wrong message sent to these kids. So by doing nothing, the administrators' message to the players was essentially to continue to act that way because we don't care. Message was received and they acted accordingly. Yet another bad example of how BISD operates.

[quote name="octfeb" post="1132720" timestamp="1322405945"]
[quote author=YankeeDawg link=topic=92289.msg1132712#msg1132712 date=1322405565]
[quote author=Riding Solo link=topic=92289.msg1132709#msg1132709 date=1322405226]
[quote author=songone link=topic=92289.msg1132702#msg1132702 date=1322404636]
[quote author=Riding Solo link=topic=92289.msg1132699#msg1132699 date=1322404348]
It is only going to get worse before it gets better. Coaches and teachers have "NO" control anymore and it is not their fault. Bring paddling back to schools. Schools lost control when they quit paddling. JMO of course. Someone made a comment earlier about young people not fearing or respecting authority. BINGO!!!!!! Believe me it is at every single school.
[/quote]I agree... bring the paddling and true discipline back.  Quit letting them get away with every darn thing.  There should be consequences to their actions.  I see kids everyday that doesn't know how to say "yes sir" and "yes mam"... when I was young my Dad slap the censored out of me for not addressing my elders with respect.  Excuse my french, but parents, teachers and trusted neighbors need to stop fearing these kids and start back being the adults.
[/quote]

I agree good post. Parents need to quit being a "friend" to their child and be a Parent.
[/quote]

Many kids have only one parent in their lives, usually the mother...Not saying tht a mom can't raise a child the right way, [b]but it's beneficial to have a man around to do some rear end kicking when/as required.[/b]  Look at recent cases where kids have attacked, stabbed, shot and even killed a parent because parent wouldn't let the brat have his/her own way...If I ever raised hand to either of my parents, I wouldn't be here typing now...
[/quote]umm.. I am a mother of a son who's dad chooses not to be in the picture. And I have no problem "rearend kicking" when necessary. I kinda take offense to that.
[/quote]

No offense meant..... a good whoopin' when required keeps 'em in line, be it from mom or dad.

I attended the Lumberton/LM game several yrs ago. LM acted pretty bad during that game, too, but there wasn't a brawl after Lumberton put a smackdown on them. You would think the LM players would've wanted a fight after being sent home. The fact is the LM players did want to fight, but the difference between the Lumberton players that game and ozen's players yesterday was discipline. Lumberton coaches & administrators wouldn't have put up with that behavior, and the players knew it.

Back when I played trash talk was not allowed. Sure it went on sometimes but very little. We did our talking on the field with our play. The problem to me is these kids see professional athletes doing it and they think it is OK. I also know that people are tired of hearing "The Back in the Day" stories but times were simplier back then, Plain and simple. We all had jobs during the summer, there was no summer workouts. We worked out on our own. I do realize some kids still work but how many athletes work anymore? I think that number is very low. I will be honest I did make my son work because he did not play football after his sophomore year but I did not make my daughter she played basketball year round. I wish I could do it over again. I would have made her work.

[quote name="thedogs1987" post="1132740" timestamp="1322407082"]

[/quote]

True enough there...it even went as far as one of PD's players directing some words at what appeared to be our coaching staff right before half, when he was losing...to Nederland's credit, they did not retaliate by fighting and slinging helmets

This fight could have easily been prevented.  It was clear that tempers were running high during the game.  It was clear that you are dealing with two groups of players who routinely talk trash during a game regardless of the opponent.  Knowing this, I am surprised that the coaching staffs of both were not proactive by immediately ushering their players off the field and into the locker room.  By allowing them to linger on the field after the game, they gave them the venue to do what they did.  Their actions and behavior are a total embarrassment to their schools, parents, and community.  Just kids?  Most kids do not conduct themselves in that manner.

I think there should be a zero tolerance policy for fighting at a high school sporting event. No matter what the circumstances, if you partake in this kind of classless show of sportsmanship while you are on the field representing your school, you should be dealt with quickly and severly. 

Clearing the bench to protect or help your teammates beat on or hurt another individual is not a program that should be awarded with a win. Certainly, not a program that should be awarded with a trophy as being recognized as the best athletic team in that particular sport in the state of Texas.

It frightens me where our society's morales are heading.

[quote name="KHS 89" post="1132816" timestamp="1322411388"]
I think there should be a zero tolerance policy for fighting at a high school sporting event. No matter what the circumstances, if you partake in this kind of classless show of sportsmanship while you are on the field representing your school, you should be dealt with quickly and severly. 

Clearing the bench to protect or help your teammates beat on or hurt another individual is not a program that should be awarded with a win. Certainly, not a program that should be awarded with a trophy as being recognized as the best athletic team in that particular sport in the state of Texas.

[b]It frightens me where our society's morales are heading[/b].
[/quote]

Right down the  [img]http://bestsmileys.com/toliot/12.gif[/img]

[quote name="YankeeDawg" post="1132708" timestamp="1322405196"]
[quote author=Riding Solo link=topic=92289.msg1132699#msg1132699 date=1322404348]
It is only going to get worse before it gets better. Coaches and teachers have "NO" control anymore and it is not their fault. Bring paddling back to schools. Schools lost control when they quit paddling. JMO of course. Someone made a comment earlier about young people not fearing or respecting authority. BINGO!!!!!! Believe me it is at every single school.
[/quote]

I agree Solo....
The way things are these days, I would hate to be charged with "paddling" an unruly student.  Many of these kids have access to guns and knives (the way us old-timers had access to baseball cards and bubble gum)..and they think nothing of using those weapons against someone who was "disrespectful" to them.  Back in the day, when a teacher reprimanded a student either verbally or by corporal punishment, the student for the most part learned his lesson (even though maybe it took several times).  Many kids nowadays  don't respect nor fear their parents, let alone respect teachers/coaches or anyone else in authority.  Sad state of affairs but that's how I see it.
[/quote]

The kids are a part of why I retired from teaching, and for the most part, I had some really good kids in a really good district. That said, some of the kids I have taught are now doing life in Huntsville. I had kids who couldn't come to school because they had to do jail time. I had students who checked into the jail Saturday morning at Midnight and got out Sunday evening for school the next day. They did that for several weeks. ( I taught 18 yr old seniors most of my career.)
I don't know why many of you are outraged. For the most part, the teachers in the classroom hands are tied.
I got to write a book.

[/quote]
Nuff said. Right there.

La Marque needs to be disqualified from the playoffs.

I remember the PNG/Central Brawl a few years back. I was disappointed and embarrassed of our program that night. I honestly think there should be a UIL rule if there is a bench clearing brawl each team has to forfeit there next game, even if the next game is the next season.

[quote name="PNGFan" post="1132928" timestamp="1322422882"]
I remember the PNG/Central Brawl a few years back. I was disappointed and embarrassed of our program that night. I honestly think there should be a UIL rule if there is a bench clearing brawl each team has to forfeit there next game, even if the next game is the next season.
[/quote]

Yes, that was quite an embarrassing moment for PN-G athletics.  I hope we do not ever see that again. There is simply no room for that in competitive high school sports.

All kids should be taught that losing with class is just as admirable as winning. There are many good programs throughout the state that practice this and we can only hope that more schools and coaches will get on board.

It amazes me to see the amount of people on this thread making this fight everyone elses fault except the kids who caused it.  That is what is wrong with our kids today, parents are too busy blaming their kids actions on somebody else. It is time to make these kids own up to what they did and face the consequences of their actions. To the Police officers, kudos to you for doing your job and restoring order to the situation!

[quote name="vp32" post="1132880" timestamp="1322417381"]
[quote author=BADSANTA link=topic=92289.msg1132723#msg1132723 date=1322406007]
[/quote]
Nuff said. Right there.

La Marque needs to be disqualified from the playoffs.
[/quote]Why should LM be disqualified.You don't know $hit about LM like half of the people on this site.The reason most of them dislike LM is because of the success that they have had.Haters only dislike winners.If LM was a losing program no one would care.You just don't win State Champinships with a bunch of thrugs.The schools on this site are saints but can't win the big one.Thats your opinion and this is mind.

[quote name="Rockin A" post="1132758" timestamp="1322407970"]
So let's continue to pass the blame. It's gone from the police to the coaches and to the parents. Other than who's really to blame (thug players), I blame BISD administrators. Did they not see this similar behavior when the Ozen players damaged a locker room to the tune of several thousands of dollars after the Barbers Hill game? Come on, folks, these kids only do what they're allowed to do. BISD administrators could have stomped the punks who caused the damage 2 weeks ago, and the message would have been received by the rest of the team, but that could've/would've resulted in kids being dismissed from the team, and we don't want the wrong message sent to these kids. So by doing nothing, the administrators' message to the players was essentially to continue to act that way because we don't care. Message was received and they acted accordingly. Yet another bad example of how BISD operates.
[/quote]

I knew at some point there would be at least one to turn this into a B.I.S.D. Thing.  The vandalism that you speak of didn't happen, it is a lie.  Yesterday's events were horrible and shed a negative light on both programs period.  This has not been a pattern of behavior for Ozen or any other BISD school.  Just as I didn't blame Port Neches ISD for the brawl started there by PNG players vs. Central 3 years ago, I think it's unfair for you to blame BISD for the lack of restraint shown by players from both teams.  The matter should be dealt with, those responsible should be corrected swiftly, with a strong hand. Your post is another bad example of the divisive venom that continues to spread throughout the region. I for one look forward to moving ahead and making progress towards a better unified community and moving passed the past.  I am so thankful that I am not alone, and that the dividers are becoming more scarce.

You may not like what I am about to say.....However, based on the situation, I would say the security/police exercised great restraint.  Consider the facts:  they are outnumbered; facing teenagers that are every bit as big as they are and in protective pads; teenagers in better shape; having policy/procedures to adhere too... that the aggressors do not have to abide by; helmets being swung as weapons that could cause serious bodily injury or death if swung at someone not wearing a helmet.  Under those circumstances they would have been justified in escalating to greater force than pepper spray.  I would rather deal with pepper spray than lead.  Sometimes the force is necessary to save people from themselves.  Hold the athletes accountable not the police for appropriately stopping a serious situation.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder