Brenham overrated??

Just a thought but I really think Brenham is WAAAYYY overrated.

I know, I know, this isn't anything new. The Cubs are overrated every year (see last year's bi-district turd). But this year I think its especially true.

They have a good defense but beyond that there really isn't much to them - they are putting up mediocre offensive numbers against a very weak schedule.

One injury up front on defense and they become an average team.

Watching Brenham play, I also get the sense that they are far less disciplined then in years past. I saw the punter (yes the punter) pointing the scoreboard against a Montgomery back up and they were only up a touchdown.

I also saw a Cub cornerback taunting a Spring Woods wide receiver when Brenham was up by 50. It was just sad.

Sure the team can beat up on the Northbrooks and Spring Woods of the world, but what have they done to show they can compete with the big dogs?

If the Cubs have any advantage this year, it's that their region is extremely weak. Really, Dawson is a favorite?

But I still wouldn't be surprised if Brenham makes its now-annual second or third round exit despite being ranked in the Top 5.

Anyone else share these thoughts?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahha

The corner back taunting is probably 2nd or 3rd string and he's just excited getting to play.

The punter is pointing at the scoreboard against montgomery is just how it goes when we play montgomery. You obviously don't know how big of rivals they our with us. If you knew half the stuff they goes on in each sport you would understand. Our defense is the best its ever been and the offense averages 40 points a game and 400 yards. Just wait till we see you in the playoffs

Hmmm...  Overrated, huh?  I guess that depends on your definition of overrated is....

So how overrated are we?  Let's see...

Year in and year out, one of the best teams in the state.
We average 40.5 ppg, while only giving 8.6 ppg.
That "average" offense puts up 410.3 ypg.  We give up 180.5 ypg. Two games really stand out... What is probably a playoff team, Lamar Consolidated only had 28 yards against us, and this week Northbrook had -2 yards of offense. (I don't care who you play, it's impressive to hold any team to negative yards.) Almost half of the starters on this team will be playing D1 ball next year.  As for our "weak" schedule, we play a couple very good teams, and all of those games have been on the road. (@ Lamar Consolidated, @ Lamar, @ Magnolia West & @ Montgomery) We play 2 very weak teams in Spring Woods and Northbrook, but we can't help that they are in our district.  Since you are pointing out the Montgomery game, I'm sure saw the TD that was called back for an illegal block that was 20 yards behind the guy with the ball.  If you were at that game, you can clearly see that Brenham played far better than the score shows.  Not sure why you seem surprised that the Brenham vs Montgomery was decided by a TD.  Montgomery is a good team, and the score has been within 7 points for the last 5 years.  The only thing in your post that I can somewhat agree with is that we arnt as disciplined as years past.  Now I haven't seen the things you listed, but we have committed more penalties than in years past.  Keep an eye on this "overrated" team this year.....

Not sure how to respond to this.  While last year was disappointing, the loss had more to do with a lack of focus (and way too many turnovers) that day than the Cubs being overrated.  Any team can lose on any day if they don't play well, but only a few can win every game if they do.  I think that the Cubs are one of those team.  I'm hard pressed to find many 4A teams that would beat Brenham at their best.  Also, you do realize that the Cubs were in the championship game just 2 years ago, right?  In fact they were a failed 4th down away from possibly winning it all.  And that from a team that was not expected to even be there.  Same goes for the team before that.  At the halfway point of that season it looked like they might end up with a losing season, but they turned it around and made a decent run into the playoffs.

You're right about the offense though, they are only averaging 40.5 points and over 400 yards of total offense a game.  Plus the QB has already thrown 2 ints this season.  Very disappointing indeed.  So thank you for your very insightful opinion. 

I'm just saying, I've seen Brenham play on four occasions and haven't once walked away impressed.

I think it comes down to being physical up front in the playoffs. They certainly have enough skill players but up front I don't think they can get it done on either side of the ball.

Malcom Brown is a great player but he can't do it all. I expect the first team that can run the ball and has big defensive lineman will have the Cubs scrambling for answers.

Also, thanks to their weak schedule, Brenham hasn't dealt with adversity at all this season. It will be interesting to see how they react when the going gets tough.

I think they may be overrated ,but they may be rated just right as well ;D When any team has success that brings them to the championship game this usually gets the polsters to rank them higher than what they probably are for then next several years. I think you can throw Dayton and WOS into that mix in our area. Both of these teams perform well ,but never seem to meet the expectations of the polsters. Are these teams good? Heck yeah and they all can win just about any Friday night, but all of them are beatable which is why they never meet their ranking most times.

BigOleCountryBoy -- If you feel Brenham is overrated, you must feel someone else is underrated. Who do you think is underrated and should be ahead of Brenham?

If region 3 is "extremely weak," what region is stronger? Region 3 had five teams rated in the top 14 in the last AP poll, with Rosenberg Terry likely one of the next top (unrated) teams. Last year, La Marque went from barely making the playoffs to the state final game. Region 3 has a lot of team that can surprise people, so hard to imagine the region as "weak." Regions 1 and 4 both have four teams in the AP rankings. Region 2 looks like the weakest base on AP rated teams.

FYI -- You mentioned Dawson. Dawson and Brenham will be in separate divisions. Dawson will be D1, Brenham will be D2.

Of the Region 3 rated teams likely to be in D2 (#3 Brenham, #13 La Marque and potentially #7 Manvel), I think Brenham would top La Marque. Brenham and Manvel would be a great regional final. Hope it ends up that way. That winner has a great chance of winning it all (of course assuming Manvel is in D2 and they both make it that far).

[quote name="RHBoiler" post="1092284" timestamp="1319411315"]
BigOleCountryBoy -- If you feel Brenham is overrated, you must feel someone else is underrated. Who do you think is underrated and should be ahead of Brenham?

If region 3 is "extremely weak," what region is stronger? Region 3 had five teams rated in the top 14 in the last AP poll, with Rosenberg Terry likely one of the next top (unrated) teams. Last year, La Marque went from barely making the playoffs to the state final game. Region 3 has a lot of team that can surprise people, so hard to imagine the region as "weak." Regions 1 and 4 both have four teams in the AP rankings. Region 2 looks like the weakest base on AP rated teams.

FYI -- You mentioned Dawson. Dawson and Brenham will be in separate divisions. Dawson will be D1, Brenham will be D2.

Of the Region 3 rated teams likely to be in D2 (#3 Brenham, #13 La Marque and potentially #7 Manvel), I think Brenham would top La Marque. Brenham and Manvel would be a great regional final. Hope it ends up that way. That winner has a great chance of winning it all (of course assuming Manvel is in D2 and they both make it that far).
[/quote]

Great post.

Great here both ways.BigOleCountry had a valid point and he asked it in a respectful matter. I did some catching up on the Cubs in that post. I learned about them while at Blinn JC. I see that they are very confident this year. I just hope that they back it up with a deep playoff run this year.

Guest beechnut
[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="1092237" timestamp="1319408434"]
[quote author=beechnut link=topic=90315.msg1092172#msg1092172 date=1319404821]
Have they ever won state?
[/quote]

No, just been there twice.
[/quote]

They seem to win a bunch but seems like all the really good teams are in the metroplex. Good luck Brenham.

[quote name="mypooh" post="1092334" timestamp="1319415897"]
Great here both ways.BigOleCountry had a valid point and he asked it in a respectful matter. I did some catching up on the Cubs in that post. I learned about them while at Blinn JC. I see that they are very confident this year. I just hope that they back it up with a deep playoff run this year.
[/quote]

Thats good enough for a lot of people, but I think it's time we win it all.  I won't consider the season a success unless we win it all!  Our time is now! 

Look, a big reason why I think Brenham is possibly overrated is because I just haven't been "wowed" by the team. Maybe they are more vanilla against their weak schedule than they would be against tougher teams.

I do think there are some obvious deficiencies built in as well, as I mentioned. Lack of depth on the line, a discipline problem and an absence of physical play can come back to bite you in the playoffs. I guess we'll find out soon how these things shake out.

It's not like teams from Brenham haven't been overrated before and not just in football. I've seen the Cubs' basketball team, softball team and volleyball team ranked in the past two years and do absolutely nothing in the playoffs. It's only natural for a person to be skeptical.

[quote name="BigOleCountryBoy" post="1092883" timestamp="1319474927"]
Look, a big reason why I think Brenham is possibly overrated is because I just haven't been "wowed" by the team. Maybe they are more vanilla against their weak schedule than they would be against tougher teams.

I do think there are some obvious deficiencies built in as well, as I mentioned. Lack of depth on the line, a discipline problem and an absence of physical play can come back to bite you in the playoffs. I guess we'll find out soon how these things shake out.

It's not like teams from Brenham haven't been overrated before and not just in football. I've seen the Cubs' basketball team, softball team and volleyball team ranked in the past two years and do absolutely nothing in the playoffs. It's only natural for a person to be skeptical.
[/quote]

I agree with the overrated thing in basketball, but in football we have played in the championship twice in the last decade (won the region 3 times), and played in what is probably the best district in the state in both volleyball & softball.  Softball won state in 05', and volleyball has played in the state championship game the last 2 years.  How is that overrated?

I know most of the area teams would love to have the success that Brenham consistently has in all sports football, baseball, volleyball, softball. They are consistently a playoff team and well coached. The biggest weakness IMO this year is at kicker and will bite them in the playoffs (field position/field goals) against a later round team. Most of us would like to be called overated that means they are watching us closely and must be worried about playing them in the future. It will all be settled on the field!

[quote name="Monkeynuts" post="1093014" timestamp="1319483252"]
I know most of the area teams would love to have the success that Brenham consistently has in all sports football, baseball, volleyball, softball. They are consistently a playoff team and well coached. The biggest weakness IMO this year is at kicker and will bite them in the playoffs (field postion/field goals) against a later round team. Most of us would like to be called overated that means they are watching us closely and must be worried about playing them in the future. It will all be settled on the field!
[/quote]

I agree completely....  Man our kicking game has been atrocious this year. :(
It is easily our achilles...  Which is weird, cuz usually we have a good kicker.

I don't know if Brenham should be #3 in the State.  In that regards, they may be overrated.  In the Houston area, they are probably just as good as anybody in 4A, but I wouldn't say they are better.  Angleton, LaMarque, Dawson, and Manvel from 23-4A and 24-4A are all very good.  Brenham should win the first 2 rounds in the playoffs, but after that, who knows?       

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder