HISD will not opt up, form 3A district in Houston

Source inside the district stated all of district 22-4A will go down this realignment.

Jones
Furr
Scarborough
Wheatley
Kashmere
Worthing
Washington

All these schools will have 3A numbers and will not check the box to opt up. Wheatley and Worthing had 4A numbers last realignment, but expect to have 3A numbers this time. The other 5 schools have had 3A numbers for several years now but had opted up to stay 4A.

Houston Sterling and Houston Yates could join if their numbers fall as some expect it too. I believe these two schools will remain 4A.

LaMarque could now have a place to call home in Region III but it is still expected that they will move to a 3A district in Region IV.

I bet it will not be as big change as people think.  Teams from far off and teams with a big name attached (Houston) or tradition in the past, or a coach from way off seem to always make people seem to think they are better.  I used to think the same. An older friend of mine that played professional ball with the Pistons told me many times that you always hear how someone from far off or some team from far off like New York or Los Angeles appear to many people to be much better, but he said when you get right down to it that they are not.  It wasnt until I played in college with 2 kids from New York City did I understand.  They wasnt any different, they put their "pants on one leg at a time".  He also told me that the difference in a college player and a pro player was very narrow.  I know Ganon Baker said the same thing and I have heard from others the same example.  I honestly do not think it will be much different than what it is now.  So many things are in the mind.  Just because a team has Houston in front does not make them better. IMO

EASTTEXASBB I do agree with your comments. I use to think the same thing about NY Ball players until college. BUT!!! Here is why Houston area schools will make a difference: AAU! There are several 4-A schools who have "recruited " potential high D-1 players on their teams.Want an example? Look for Lamar Consolidated to make noise this year. I bet half the people on this forum never heard of this school. Well, you will this year.There is another 4-A school ( may go down to 3-A) who recruited a whole team of AAU 9th graders who all played on the same middle school team. Believe me, this is going to make a big difference when these schools begin their regional playoffs. Schools in smaller outlining areas will have problems competing with these all star teams during regionals.

That could be an issue(I was not considering that), I have heard from many that recruiting is out of control in bigger cities, especially in the larger schools (4A and 5A), predominatly because that is the size school in large cities.  Will this be the first 3A district in the State located in a large city? IDK
I was thinking that as far as AAU, that southeast texas being fairly close to Houston and able to play AAU pretty easily that it would not make much of a difference.  AAU is becoming more rural, stretching out to almost all areas, although the further you get from a Big City the more difficult it is for players to play AAU. Example, where we are at, it is 2 hour drive for us to play a game. This is why I am considering moving closer to a metroplex.  The recruiting factors are something that needs to be addressed.  I dont know for sure, but I would assume that as much as I am hearing about teams in the larger cities (Houston, Dallas/Ft. Worth, others) recruiting or players all moving to one school to play (this is a big buzz right now and has been for a while)that the UIL will have to step in at some point.  Otherwise you are left with the destruction of high school basketball.  Enrollment becomes obsolete in these cases, even if school A (5A numbers) has 2500 average kids just going to school vs. school B with enrollment 950 that are the majority basketball players, then school B has 5A talent with 3A enrollment numbers, and vice versa.  I dont know, I think changes will come though it will be slow, or there will not be much of a point in rural schools playing or coaches trying for a state championship if they constantly have to compete against 5A competio. Rural 3A or others have maybe 1-2 5A players and the others just contributors to the team, where these 5A schools could be 10 deep with 5A talent and be "considered" a 3AAA school.  It looks like a mess.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1092250" timestamp="1319409036"]
Exactly! I saw some 4-A schools in the Fall league out of Houston 3 deep with major D-1 talent. Most high schools are lucky to have one major impact player on their team. So yes, I predict it will be hard for most rural schools to compete at regionals with stacked teams.
[/quote]

Can anyone tell me why, then, have the 3-a schools in Dallas not dominated the 3-a final fours in recent years?

[quote name="stevenash" post="1092301" timestamp="1319413462"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=90163.msg1092250#msg1092250 date=1319409036]
Exactly! I saw some 4-A schools in the Fall league out of Houston 3 deep with major D-1 talent. Most high schools are lucky to have one major impact player on their team. So yes, I predict it will be hard for most rural schools to compete at regionals with stacked teams.
[/quote]

Can anyone tell me why, then, have the 3-a schools in Dallas not dominated the 3-a final fours in recent years?
[/quote]I can! The top kids in Dallas attend private schools (Arlington Prep for example or 5-a schools like Flower Mound.)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="1092487" timestamp="1319423705"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=90163.msg1092301#msg1092301 date=1319413462]
[/quote]

[/quote]I can! The top kids in Dallas attend private schools (Arlington Prep for example or 5-a schools like Flower Mound.)
[/quote]

So, if I understand you correctly, the top kids in Dallas attend private schools or 5-a schools but in Houston they attend 3-a schools?  Interesting.

[quote name="stevenash" post="1092651" timestamp="1319461114"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=90163.msg1092487#msg1092487 date=1319423705]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=90163.msg1092301#msg1092301 date=1319413462]
[/quote]

[/quote]

So, if I understand you correctly, the top kids in Dallas attend private schools or 5-a schools but in Houston they attend 3-a schools?  Interesting.
[/quote] Yes, it is interesting isn't it! HOUSTON's top players , the majority attend 5-A and 4-A and several private schools. Those in 4-A could drop to 3-A. I'm just suggesting that HJ may want to drop to 2-A ;D ;)

[quote name="stevenash" post="1092697" timestamp="1319463705"]
Played Wheatley in a warm up game several years ago at Montagne Center-  Based upon that game, I am not as fearful as you think I should be.
[/quote]You are not getting my point. Without naming these teams, some of them are stacking their teams with elite players who are being recruited by big time D1 schools. Wheatley has always had good players from the (my) neighborhood but it's just not the same anymore.  Run to 2-A HJ while you have the chance.  ;D

P.S.
Did you guys really believe I was going to leave HJ alone?  LOL! 

Guest speechless
Dove-

Here is the difference.  The smaller schools will not be afraid to "blow the whistle" like the bigger schools.  These big schools all protect each other because they are all doing it.  There is a much different attitude in smaller schools and they will get called on it immediately.  Rest assured of that.

[quote name="speechless" post="1092729" timestamp="1319464870"]
Dove-

Here is the difference.  The smaller schools will not be afraid to "blow the whistle" like the bigger schools.  These big schools all protect each other because they are all doing it.  There is a much different attitude in smaller schools and they will get called on it immediately.  Rest assured of that.
[/quote]Here is the difference: The DEC (UIL locals) have already declared them eligible.

[quote name="speechless" post="1092729" timestamp="1319464870"]
Dove-

[/quote]

I agree.

It also helps that some of the higher ups at UIL (with one being the biggest wig of them all) are small school guys. ;)

Guest speechless
DEC is only the first level.  Doesn't take a whole lot to get UIL involved.  Ask South Oak Cliff.  There ain't the "good ol' boy system" in the small schools like there is in the inner city big schools.

It will be interesting to see what happens though....especially considering that the following schools turned in these numbers last realignment:

Yates:  1209
Wheatley:  1101

Those schools will have to lose more than 100 kids to be 3A based on the old numbers

Also....plenty have heard of Lamar Consolidated....they were very good last year

[quote name="speechless" post="1092748" timestamp="1319465794"]
DEC is only the first level.  Doesn't take a whole lot to get UIL involved.  Ask South Oak Cliff.  There ain't the "good ol' boy system" in the small schools like there is in the inner city big schools.

It will be interesting to see what happens though....especially considering that the following schools turned in these numbers last realignment:

Yates:  1209
Wheatley:  1101

Those schools will have to lose more than 100 kids to be 3A based on the old numbers

Also....plenty have heard of Lamar Consolidated....they were very good last year
[/quote] If memory serves me right and I must admit it blinks at times, SOC got in trouble for grade scandals, didn't they?..different from transfers. Huh? Lamar Consolidated's record last season was horrible. You may have heard of the school but not a basketball power.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1092744" timestamp="1319465585"]
[quote author=speechless link=topic=90163.msg1092729#msg1092729 date=1319464870]
Dove-

[/quote]

I agree.

It also helps that some of the higher ups at UIL (with one being the biggest wig of them all) are small school guys. ;)
[/quote]Bring it on!!!!!  ;)

Guest speechless
SOC got in trouble for grade scandals and ineligible players.  The grade scandals were the initial trouble and it snowballed from there.

Cedar Hill filmed Dallas Kimball picking up a kid in their district one year and driving the kid to Kimball each day.  It doesn't take a lot to prove it. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124

• FBC transfer most likely will. He’s already been on several recruiting visits and has been looking decent on the camp circuit for only being a freshman. I don’t think his family will let him sit past this year though.   JV kid is decent but he’s not really anybody I think you want to rely on competing against good teams with. He has some moxie but he’s smallish and doesn’t have a lot of arm talent. I think he would stay and be a backup no matter what or switch positions if the FBC kid stays. 
    • Oh an institution can move away from God, and the USA is running away from God.  I am not trying to chase you off - this is a free site.  I just wish people would be more open to alternative view points.  The devil wants to sow division.  Nice to hear you admit that God is love.  I generally try to stay off this side of the site - would much rather talk baseball and small town sports.
    • I guess you heard wrong? All of the sophomore studs he grew up with are on varsity and several played great in the Spring game, 4/5 will start and the others are in the two deep. Only kid I heard about going to Dayton is the receiver that left to go to North Shore and he hasn’t even been playing football. Leaving was what he felt was best for his kid, sometimes you have to make those choices. My son would’ve left last year too if he could’ve gotten eligible, doesn’t mean I would’ve liked Crosby less.  
    • It’s always funny to me when present day republicans start talking about what 19th century republicans did, because you’re absolutely right.  Point it out and they get mad, though.  And I vote Republican 🤦🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
    • Talk about condescension. It’s not chasing me off this time. I have never been talked more rudely at than on here. Oh, and no one can move away from God. He dwells in all things. The problem is we have politicized Him to further divide ourselves and make money or build power for ourselves. He loves us all anyway. Peace.
  • Topics