Should Jeremy Johnson Start Next Week?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the coaching staff has to decide if they are really ready to win the conference championship (which we all know we aren't).

So, IMO they should play Johnson as he threw for a TD and ran 59 yards for another. He is a red-shirt freshman as is pretty good.

However, with experience he can be great by the time he is a senior and the team can follow his lead and be highly competitive in the SLC or whatever conference we're in in 3 years.

[quote name="DJG24" post="1084630" timestamp="1318731440"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=89927.msg1084620#msg1084620 date=1318730930]
Bevil will start the homecoming game next week but I think we will see Jeremy get some snaps.
[/quote] As good as johnson played tonite in just one half do you think woodard would wanna take that chance at losing another game(homecoming game at that)
[/quote]

To be honest, I don't think Lamar can beat Central Arkansas no matter who the Cards have at QB.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1084633" timestamp="1318731605"]
[quote author=DJG24 link=topic=89927.msg1084630#msg1084630 date=1318731440]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=89927.msg1084620#msg1084620 date=1318730930]
Bevil will start the homecoming game next week but I think we will see Jeremy get some snaps.
[/quote] As good as johnson played tonite in just one half do you think woodard would wanna take that chance at losing another game(homecoming game at that)
[/quote]

To be honest, I don't think Lamar can beat Central Arkansas no matter who the Cards have at QB.
[/quote]

Agree they beat McNeese and the Cowboys lost to Texas State by two. I'm not worried about Johnson winning this year. I'm looking at the future of the program.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1084633" timestamp="1318731605"]
[quote author=DJG24 link=topic=89927.msg1084630#msg1084630 date=1318731440]

[/quote]Maybe You Right But With Johnson At QB They Have A Better Chance At Making It A Good Game Rather Than Getting Beat By 20 Or More For The 3rd Straight Week!

[quote name="bigred360" post="1084627" timestamp="1318731187"]
I think the coaching staff has to decide if they are really ready to win the conference championship (which we all know we aren't).

So, IMO they should play Johnson as he threw for a TD and ran 59 yards for another. He is a red-shirt freshman as is pretty good.

However, with experience he can be great by the time he is a senior and the team can follow his lead and be highly competitive in the SLC or whatever conference we're in in 3 years.
[/quote]

last week, you had Bevil as all-conference ::)

What does that matter as I did rank his preformance as a B? I'm talking about the long term success of the program would be better if we have a great QB. So, give Johnson the playing time now when he is okay and hopefully in 3 years that experience with help him be a great player. Then maybe the team will follow his lead and be more competitive for a conference championship than it is now.

It has nothing to do with Bevil playing bad or good. It is about the future success of the program.

[quote name="tracker1012" post="1084804" timestamp="1318761403"]
It has been time to bench Bevil. Way too inconsistent and yes Prewitt is a much better QB. That said I think it is time to start Johnson.
[/quote]

[quote name="tracker1012" post="1084804" timestamp="1318761403"]
It has been time to bench Bevil. Way too inconsistent and yes Prewitt is a much better QB. That said I think it is time to start Johnson.
[/quote]This iS exactly what I think.

It's time to bench Bevil. He can not have good games back-to-back. The better the team, the worse he plays. Woodard needs start Johnson for the rest of the season. However, I do agree with an earlier post that it won't matter who plays QB against CA, they look like the team to beat in conference. However, I garantee you that Bevil will start on Saturday. He must have a picture of Woodard in a compromising posistion or something because Bevil should've been done after the Northwestern game.

Personnel decision making is one of the most critical aspects of coaching along with the ability to lead and motivate your players.  You have to be able to determine who your "winners" are and put them on the field.  That isn't always your "sexiest" looking player, or the player who is going to rack up the best statistics.  Great coaches understand this and make the right decisions.  They also never let their heart get in the way of making the right call.  JMHO!!!

I not saying that Bevil needs to be benched because Johnson is the "sexier" choice. Bevil is just too inconsistant. He still makes the same bad decisions he did last year. He's had his chance and he hasn't got the job done. Johnson is your future. He's moved the team well when he's been in there and I think now, you get him ready to take over the team. Yes, he will make some bad decisions, too, he's a redshirt Freshman, but he has time to learn and correct his mistakes and be a better QB the next three years. Bevil's time has run out, he's a Senior, he's not getting any better. Besides that, you can't afford to be down 20-30 poimts at halftime and expect to compete in this conference.

My comment was a general statement about putting people on the field/court who know how to win, does all the small things as well as doesn't kill you with mistakes.  That said, you do have to have athletic ability to play and compete.  It is a combination of athletic skill and athletic smarts.  I am not using this as an argument for Bevil.

[quote name="the sports guy" post="1086259" timestamp="1318883807"]
If not now....when would you start him?  If you put him in for a spark, and he sparkkkkedded.  Couldnt he keep the sparks flying?
[/quote]
Good point Devil...you threw him in...let him swim....BUTT, i still think Bevil starts one more game...just my gut feeling...If Bevil has one or two stalled drives JJ takes the wheel for as long as he can drive it!

[quote name="Titletown2" post="1085847" timestamp="1318859722"]
It's time to bench Bevil. He can not have good games back-to-back. The better the team, the worse he plays. Woodard needs start Johnson for the rest of the season. However, I do agree with an earlier post that it won't matter who plays QB against CA, they look like the team to beat in conference. However, I garantee you that Bevil will start on Saturday. He must have a picture of Woodard in a compromising posistion or something because Bevil should've been done after the Northwestern game.
[/quote]

If reports are correct, the picture involves a chicken, a mule, some electrical tape and some personal lubricant...enough to make a grown man do whatever.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder