question for all you football dads who know how the system works...

i have a son in 2nd year peewee, he is 8 will be 9 in nov, and in the 2nd grade, but i held him back in k so my question is youth goes by age or grade? i am thinking age, in that cause how does middle school work, 7 and 8th grade play? so does this mean when he is in the 6th grade he cant play youth sr because of his age and cant play middle school because of his grade so he has to sit out a whole year of football?? i know a few other parents who are big into football like me and my boys and also held thier child back, i would hate to think that those kids and mine have to miss a whole season... hope my question makes enough sence to get a answer lol

raider mom, stjfl is by age only, some kids play up : by choice and some play up ,older league because they are to heavy. if a kid was held back a year in school, he plays by age- flag-5-6 / peewee -7-8 / jrs -9 -10 / sr- 11 -12-note sr. league you must be 12 before aug. 1st, if a child was held back  he might have to sit out a year, being in 6th grade and 12 = yrs old if born after aug. 1 st., to  old for stjfl, but only in 6th grade, which does not have football this holding a child back will simply make him an older child in his grade, like a 19 yr old sr.

To the best of my knowledge it will not affect him until he reaches senior high football.  In youth leagues he will fall in the group with his age and not his grade.  I believe if he is 19 before his Senior year of football UIL will deem him ineligible. 

[quote name="LHSALLZONE" post="1082280" timestamp="1318614710"]
raider mom, stjfl is by age only, some kids play up : by choice and some play up ,older league because they are to heavy. if a kid was held back a year in school, he plays by age- flag-5-6 / peewee -7-8 / jrs -9 -10 / sr- 11 -12-note sr. league you must be 12 before aug. 1st, if a child was held back  he might have to sit out a year, being in 6th grade and 12 = yrs old if born after aug. 1 st., to  old for stjfl, but only in 6th grade, which does not have football this holding a child back will simply make him an older child in his grade, like a 19 yr old sr.
[/quote]

right thats what i was thinking so i am looking at 3rd grade 9 on aug 1st -jr, 4th grade 10 on aug 1st-jr, 5th grade 11 aug 1st-sr, 6th grade 12 on aug 1st but because he will play 7th grade ball the next year he cant play sr and cant play middle school until 7th grade so he sits out his 6th grade year ??

[quote name="jlh370" post="1082287" timestamp="1318615299"]
To the best of my knowledge it will not affect him until he reaches senior high football.  In youth leagues he will fall in the group with his age and not his grade.  I believe if he is 19 before his Senior year of football UIL will deem him ineligible.
[/quote]

he will be 18  as of aug 1st of his sr year so he will still get to play sr ball, that wold have broke my heart had i learned that i kept him from playing ball his sr year phew

Guest sly0071
He would play seniors for one year,the year he
Would be in 5th grade since you held him
Back.  Since he would be turning 13 that
November he would also be held to the
Weight rule of having to be under 125pounds

* A participant who is twelve (12) on August 1 that will turn   
              thirteen (13) before May 30 of the following year must not exceed the
weight of 125 lbs.
    * A person who is enrolled in the 7th grade or higher of the ensuing
       football season shall not be allowed to compete in the STJFL, Inc.

[quote name="sly0071" post="1082383" timestamp="1318622221"]
He would play seniors for one year,the year he
Would be in 5th grade since you held him
Back.  Since he would be turning 13 that
November he would also be held to the
Weight rule of having to be under 125pounds

* A participant who is twelve (12) on August 1 that will turn   
              thirteen (13) before May 30 of the following year must not exceed the
weight of 125 lbs.
    * A person who is enrolled in the 7th grade or higher of the ensuing
      football season shall not be allowed to compete in the STJFL, Inc.
[/quote]
5th grade year he will be 11 and turn 12 on nov 28 so he plays sr that year
he will be 12 his 6th grade year and turn 13 nov 28th of his 6th grade year

You gotta be kidding me. YOU love football, so you held your son back a whole year hoping he would be better in football??  :o I know this happens but to all parents who do this I say "Wow you gotta be kidding me". Priorities, priorities, priorities.

5  on  5 ,she was talking about holding him back in school DUMMY,  you know -k1 hello  ??? :o
whether it was :-[ sickness,injury, grades, whatever the case might be, its about the young mans well being and status in school
omg. yeh, she is trying to position him to dominate, read and understand what a person is posting before accusing one of ,who knows  what. she was asking by doing this ,does age or the grade one is in, determines the situation

[quote author=5 on 5 link=topic=89797.msg1082520#msg1082520 date=1318631429]
You gotta be kidding me. YOU love football, so you held your son back a whole year hoping he would be better in football??  :o I know this happens but to all parents who do this I say "Wow you gotta be kidding me". Priorities, priorities, priorities.
[/quote  I don't think she said she held him back for football. You might want to read it one more time :o I am sure she has her reasons but i don' t think it is football. "Wow"

Settle down!! Don't get your panties twisted. Read her quote above. "I know a few other parents who are big into football like me and my boys and also held thier child back". To me that sounds like she held him back for athletic purposes. I hope you are right, and I misunderstood her quote.

[quote name="5 on 5" post="1082520" timestamp="1318631429"]
[/quote]

no i did not hold him back for football lol... as much as i love it it doesnt matter how good of a player i have if he doesnt put school first then where will he be after high school . he was held back due to a huge speech delay that effects him in english and reading, in fact he has been seeing a speech therapist since he was 3. and didnt talk until he was almost four( he to this day is still hard to understand at times). i held him back because it was in my childs best intrest to have another year of kindergarden under his belt to help him grow out of his youngness and work on those basic skills that you learn in k that he just wasnt able to do most of due to speech.

[quote name="LHSALLZONE" post="1082543" timestamp="1318632565"]
5  on  5 ,she was talking about holding him back in school DUMMY,  you know -k1 hello  ??? :o
whether it was :-[ sickness,injury, grades, whatever the case might be, its about the young mans well being and status in school
omg. yeh, she is trying to position him to dominate, read and understand what a person is posting before accusing one of ,who knows  what. she was asking by doing this ,does age or the grade one is in, determines the situation
[/quote]

you got it allzone, i was just trying to see if by me holding him back for [b]School[/b] reasons did that mean my son was going to miss out on a year of playing because of the way the system works. no matter what the outcome ( missing a year or not) i would have still held him back, it was what was best for my kid, i am not for sure but i dont think they allow parents to just come in and say " lets hold my child back" the school contacted me to do this not me them. am i worried he might miss a year of football, yes as silly as that might sound, my baby already missed a whole year due to a compound break last year 2 weeks into the season and it broke his heart that he couldn't play, the kid told me when i had to call and tell his coach about the broken arm to tell his coach that even though his arm was broke he felt like he could still play lol, thats how much my kid loves this sport, of coarse he didn't play last year even when the cast came off , he ended up having to have 2 different cast put on and surgery and i felt like it was better to sit the whole season out then to go into tackle with a newly healed arm. i was just kinda hop my child didn't have to miss another year cause i know what it means to him. so see not all parents that are crazy about football put it over everything, it does rank high for this momma but health and school come first ... then football  ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder