Former EC coach getting flack over helmet decal?

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/249226/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/247882

Now, my take.

GALVESTON, GET OVER YOURSELVES!!!!  You now have a coach who has won everywhere and you want to slam him, before he has coached even one game, because he changed the freakin' logo? 

PLEASE!!!!

Guest ECBucFan
Valastro incorporated the interlocking LG-Texas from LaGrange into the new interlocking EC-Texas logo, now it moves on to Ball HS. I think its one of the best designs ever. Grads 100% right, the Ball folks need to welcome the change, and focus on dicipline and winning football games.

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="1032192" timestamp="1312729743"]
Valastro incorporated the interlocking LG-Texas from LaGrange into the new interlocking EC-Texas logo, now it moves on to Ball HS. I think its one of the best designs ever. Grads 100% right, the Ball folks need to welcome the change, and focus on dicipline and winning football games.
[/quote]

AGREE ;)

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="1032207" timestamp="1312730984"]
What's with "the Rock"? I must admit that it doesn't make any sense to me, but I could be missing something. What is it in reference to?
[/quote]

Some closer to Galveston may know this, but isn't that the nickname given to Courville Stadium?

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="1032207" timestamp="1312730984"]
What's with "the Rock"? I must admit that it doesn't make any sense to me, but I could be missing something. What is it in reference to?
[/quote]
Agreed......The Rock doesn't sound good. Not opposed to change but Wow

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1032209" timestamp="1312731376"]
[quote author=ChampionEagles link=topic=86381.msg1032207#msg1032207 date=1312730984]
[/quote]

Some closer to Galveston may know this, but isn't that the nickname given to Courville Stadium?
[/quote]

Also The Rock was a nick name given to "Alcatraz"... ;)

At least two different maps refer to Courville Stadium that I have found so far refer to it as "The Rock."

http://cchsband.bayviewinternet.com/g1data/s151/pgs0/3/tpl13/Galveston_Ball_High_School_Courville_Stadium.pdf

http://www.clearlakefootball.com/Maps/ball.html

And here is a quote from a former player at Ball High:

"When I played, we referred to Kermit Courville Stadium as "The Rock" because we felt that when teams came there, they were afraid, of the surroundings and of BHS."

Perhaps all of those who claim that Coach Valastro is messing with tradition should learn what the tradition is first.

This happened in Orangefield back in 2000 when Kevin Flanigan came in and changed the paw to the thundercat logo (montana state). It didn't sit too well with traditionalists and we switched back to the paw in 2002.

But seriously........Ball just got a coach who has tons of recent success and even a state title under his belt in the last 10 years and they want to complain about the logo changing. Right now I would be more concerned with winning

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="YOUKNOWIT11" post="1032205" timestamp="1312730879"]
There are petitions circling town to fire the coach. [/quote]

Thats just crazy. Huge mistake to try to fire a winning coach over a logo, whatever it is. Crazy.

[quote name="YOUKNOWIT11" post="1032205" timestamp="1312730879"]
Tuffy inside the G would look better. Not a smart move by the coach. There are petitions circling town to fire the coach. We were at dinner there Friday and were approached. Interesting to read this on here.
[/quote]

Let me asked this, was a petition circulated for the firing of Coach Suggs back in 2009 when, like Coach Valastro's logo, did not include "Tuffy the Tor?"

Also, unlike those that are probably weighing in on it, Coach Valastro is BOI.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1032227" timestamp="1312734619"]
[quote author=YOUKNOWIT11 link=topic=86381.msg1032205#msg1032205 date=1312730879]
Tuffy inside the G would look better. Not a smart move by the coach. There are petitions circling town to fire the coach. We were at dinner there Friday and were approached. Interesting to read this on here.
[/quote]

Let me asked this, was a petition circulated for the firing of Coach Suggs back in 2009 when, like Coach Valastro's logo, did not include "Tuffy the Tor?"

Also, unlike those that are probably weighing in on it, Coach Valastro is BOI.
[/quote]

Not sure. Just a visitor to Galveston. Coach V has some great accolades coming in. Sometimes it is good to sit back on traditions and hit the old timers with some Ws, then start some changing.

Coach Valastro is a great coach but I am questioning whether this is the right fit at Galveston Ball. He has never coached at a school with the demographics like Galveston Ball. La Grange and EC are much different communities and different type of kids.
He will have to adjust his ways or he will get run out of town before he can establish a winning program.

[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="1032235" timestamp="1312735847"]
Coach Valastro is a great coach but I am questioning whether this is the right fit at Galveston Ball. He has never coached at a school with the demographics like Galveston Ball. La Grange and EC are much different communities and different type of kids.
[b]He will have to adjust his ways or he will get run out of town before he can establish a winning program.[/b]

[/quote]

After hearing from WOSgrad that the reference to the stadium in the past has been "The Rock", maybe some of the residents need to be "run out of town" for not knowing this.  ;D

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="bobbymcgee" post="1032235" timestamp="1312735847"]
He will have to adjust his ways or he will get run out of town before he can establish a winning program.

[/quote]

You are exactly right, bobby, about the two very different communities for him to coach at. Personally, I can't see TV "adjusting" for anyone though, Ball included. You never know, though, I'm just going off what I perceive.

Hope it all works out. He could make Ball into a monster if they give him a chance. It would be terrible if this was a replay of San Augustine. 

I think GB is very fortunate to have coach Valastro, he has a very successful record. They're in a pretty tough district so they don't need this distraction, they just need to put their trust and support behind coach Valastro, or maybe they just want to stay a 1-9 team.
I understand the emotional importance of tradition, but maybe a complete change is what this team needs....JMO
Come on man put the dang helmets on play some football!!

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1032213" timestamp="1312732243"]
At least two different maps refer to Courville Stadium that I have found so far refer to it as "The Rock."

http://cchsband.bayviewinternet.com/g1data/s151/pgs0/3/tpl13/Galveston_Ball_High_School_Courville_Stadium.pdf

http://www.clearlakefootball.com/Maps/ball.html

And here is a quote from a former player at Ball High:

"When I played, we referred to Kermit Courville Stadium as "The Rock" because we felt that when teams came there, they were afraid, of the surroundings and of BHS."

Perhaps all of those who claim that Coach Valastro is messing with tradition should learn what the tradition is first.

[/quote]

Thanks for the research grad, I would be willing to bet that's what coach Valastro is referring to with the word ROCK in the middle of the G, btw I like the design.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami