WOS Expectations??

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="1028463" timestamp="1311722976"]
[quote author=kicker link=topic=86028.msg1028352#msg1028352 date=1311705037]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=86028.msg1028351#msg1028351 date=1311704883]
I look for WO-S to be ranked #1 at some point in the season before the playoffs.
[/quote]

Pretty bold statement. What makes you think that?
[/quote]

Don't be too surprised....  It was Scooter who made this prediction.  If they don't beat Friendswood, (which is early in the year... Should be a great game) they won't see a #1 ranking.  You usually have to be undefeated to be ranked #1. 
[/quote]They gave Friends-in-da-wood the scare of their life last season at their place. I think they will have an undefeated season, until they meet kirbyville in the playoffs.  ;)

[quote name="MrUmp1" post="1028661" timestamp="1311785365"]
So you are saying WOS beats Kibyville in regular season then loses to them in playoffs. Interesting
[/quote]

Seen that before. Back in the 80s and 90s, Jasper always had our number in the regular season, then we would beat them in the playoffs. Its hard to beat the same team twice. Seen alot of that from many schools.

[quote name="kicker" post="1028670" timestamp="1311786010"]
[quote author=MrUmp1 link=topic=86028.msg1028661#msg1028661 date=1311785365]
So you are saying WOS beats Kibyville in regular season then loses to them in playoffs. Interesting
[/quote]

Seen that before. Back in the 80s and 90s, Jasper always had our number in the regular season, then we would beat them in the playoffs. Its hard to beat the same team twice. Seen alot of that from many schools.
[/quote]just like CS and kville this past year.

I think the new offense will serve WOS well.  I have talked/read some folks that think otherwise.  Our last "successful" season consisted of a ball control offense and a defense that was second to none.  It seemed that the offense got better in playoffs. I love WOS and trust/hope that this is the right move. 

[quote name="#1stangfan" post="1029199" timestamp="1311912361"]
I think the new offense will serve WOS well.  I have talked/read some folks that think otherwise.  Our last "successful" season consisted of a ball control offense and a defense that was second to none.  It seemed that the offense got better in playoffs. I love WOS and trust/hope that this is the right move. 
[/quote]

I guess success is in the eyes of the beholder.What goal does a team have to achive to be called successful.Some would consider a 500 season good.Others...winning district or just making the playoffs would work and anything after that would just be iceing on the cake.Why is it that WO-S fans and others ( not all ) have to have at least three rounds deep or better to say that WO-S had a successful season?Some say WO-S has not been successful in 3A because they have not won state yet.Sense you didn't define successful Stangfan I thought I would rant a little and i'm not saying you are in any of the groups above.I agree about the ball control but there has only been a few seasons that WO-S IMO has not been successful.

In most cases the expectations are very high at the beginning of the season. There's always a lot of talk about deep runs or even state championships, not to mention being ranked in the top ten year after year. To loose out in the first or second round makes some feel more was expected.

I'm not saying they're right but thats what people think. WOS has a successful season every year. Some just expect/hope for more

[quote name="GUNHO" post="1029291" timestamp="1311953339"]
[quote author=#1stangfan link=topic=86028.msg1029199#msg1029199 date=1311912361]
[/quote]

I guess success is in the eyes of the beholder.What goal does a team have to achive to be called successful.Some would consider a 500 season good.Others...winning district or just making the playoffs would work and anything after that would just be iceing on the cake.Why is it that WO-S fans and others ( not all ) have to have at least three rounds deep or better to say that WO-S had a successful season?Some say WO-S has not been successful in 3A because they have not won state yet.Sense you didn't define successful Stangfan I thought I would rant a little and i'm not saying you are in any of the groups above.I agree about the ball control but there has only been a few seasons that WO-S IMO has not been successful.
[/quote]
Gunho...that is why I had [i]successful[/i] in quotation marks.  I meant it to be kind of tongue in cheek for some of the same reasons that you state above.  Probably a poor choice of words on my part. 

WO-S is a great program and Coach Thompson is probably the best defensive coach I've heard of in SE Texas. However, there was a lot of turnover in the coaching staff. IMO, letting Coach Foreman leave was a mistake. I know Coach Thompson believes in a strong running game but I'm not sure the current group of athletes at WO-S are built for that type of offense.

Back in the 80's and 90's your O-line was big and strong as you dominated class 4A for several years.

Back to Coach Thompson, from friends who played for WO-S he was basically running the show back in my day. I know he is a great coach and will make changes as he sees the need.

I didn't play for Coach Thompson but he lived down the street from my parents and Van Wade (growing up) the sports editor of the Orange Leader. He is a first class man. He even talked to a college recruiter about a family member who didn't play for WO-S.

Best of luck to the Mustangs.

• 2 weeks later...
WOS will have a very strong year, this season. im not predicting a state championship but we will be in the talks. We have a very big o-line compared to years past and a very very gifted running back in lindsey who should see 30 carries a game from what ive heard. And a very talented defense led by justin thomas. i predict we make it to atleast the 4th round.

Wos certainly have their work cut out for them and they should know this by now. This is their 6th or 7th year in 3a classification. I look for the Stangs to prevail but when you have teams like, Kirbyville, BC, Coldspring, Silsbee, Jasper in the area capable of beating you its tough. Playoffs wont get any easier when you have teams like Gilmer, Carthage, Waco Lavega and the local teams i mentioned in the hunt ready for rematches.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami