Toughest Rivalries In South East Texas

[quote name="liltex" post="1029483" timestamp="1311983646"]
While we have some dandy rival games down here it can't hold a candle to Permian/Midland Lee.A Permian player who helped them win a state title just now admits he lied and played in the game @ 23 yrs old ;) :o :o
[/quote]Whoa

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="liltex" post="1029695" timestamp="1312063115"]
Not 2 counties but growing up and going to HD to watch Gene Walker I remember way back walking blocks to get to the stadium that was already full and 6 rows deep around the track standing room ;)
[/quote]

I myself have witnessed this, but i can say although West Hardin and H-D can't fill a stadium like lumberton and Silsbee doesn't mean the emotions aren't there . This is a most heated event two small schools. I think for most of the kids on Varsity this started in Pee Wee League.

[quote name="raiderfan2010" post="1029919" timestamp="1312140574"]
[quote author=liltex link=topic=85755.msg1029695#msg1029695 date=1312063115]
Not 2 counties but growing up and going to HD to watch Gene Walker I remember way back walking blocks to get to the stadium that was already full and 6 rows deep around the track standing room ;)
[/quote]

I myself have witnessed this, but i can say although West Hardin and H-D can't fill a stadium like lumberton and Silsbee doesn't mean the emotions aren't there . This is a most heated event two small schools. I think for most of the kids on Varsity this started in Pee Wee League.
[/quote]

Never questioned the emotions involved, just the numbers that was commented about.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1029920" timestamp="1312141149"]
[quote author=raiderfan2010 link=topic=85755.msg1029919#msg1029919 date=1312140574]
[/quote]

[/quote]

The counties do not shutdown but the communities do. It does start at 6 year old pee wee league and grows from there. I know the big schools like to think numbers and that is all good, but this is a heated/hated rivalry.
Never questioned the emotions involved, just the numbers that was commented about.
[/quote]

[quote name="liltex" post="1029483" timestamp="1311983646"]
While we have some dandy rival games down here it can't hold a candle to Permian/Midland Lee.A Permian player who helped them win a state title just now admits he lied and played in the game @ 23 yrs old ;) :o :o
[/quote]Post the link

[quote name="Mr. Buddy Garrity" post="1029928" timestamp="1312142229"]
[quote author=liltex link=topic=85755.msg1029483#msg1029483 date=1311983646]
[/quote]Post the link
[/quote]

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2011/07/guerdwich-montimere-who-impersonated-as-a-high-school-basketball-player-pleads-guilty/

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1029920" timestamp="1312141149"]
[quote author=raiderfan2010 link=topic=85755.msg1029919#msg1029919 date=1312140574]
[/quote]

[/quote] LOL. It was a figure of speech, I should have said both schools shut down for this one. lol. Remember that kids from many different towns go to these two schools. Take Hull-Daisetta for instance, kids from Raywood, Ames and Devers go to H-D. That makes up a good portion of Liberty County. West Hardin is in Hardin County and gets kids from Batson, Thicket and HoneyIsland. So yes lot of towns in two counties shuts down. Dayton fan is mad because H-D is the only team in Liberty County to win a State Championship.

[/quote]

LOL. It was a figure of speech, I should have said both communities in two different counties shut down for this one. lol. Remember that kids from many different towns go to these two schools. Take Hull-Daisetta for instance, kids from Raywood, Ames and Devers go to H-D. That makes up a good portion of Liberty County. West Hardin is in Hardin County and gets kids from Batson, Thicket and HoneyIsland. So yes alot of towns in two different counties shut down on friday night for this game. Dayton fan is mad because H-D is the only team in Liberty County to win a State Championship. Many championships if you count the old championships we won, when you could only advance to Regional.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1029931" timestamp="1312143114"]
[quote author=Mr. Buddy Garrity link=topic=85755.msg1029928#msg1029928 date=1312142229]
[quote author=liltex link=topic=85755.msg1029483#msg1029483 date=1311983646]
[/quote]Post the link
[/quote]

http://blacksportsonline.com/home/2011/07/guerdwich-montimere-who-impersonated-as-a-high-school-basketball-player-pleads-guilty/
[/quote]I thought he was talking bout football.

Wanted to make a point and that was Permian has cheated for years in alot of sports by offering promotions via transfers to workers w/athletlic skills.How do I know?Fellow employees in the oil business where a vast majority of our co.hq was located in Odessa ;)

[quote name="liltex" post="1029950" timestamp="1312149932"]
Wanted to make a point and that was Permian has cheated for years in alot of sports by offering promotions via transfers to workers w/athletlic skills.How do I know?Fellow employees in the oil business where a vast majority of our co.hq was located in Odessa ;)
[/quote]Look at them now. More jobs in the metroplex and Permian declined in football.

The WS/Hemphill game isn't dubbed "The Sabine County Super Bowl" for nothing(it's also known as the Pine Cone Bowl)! It's similar to HD/WH I guess, mainly because I've never been to an HD/WH game. It says our stadium in Pineland can hold 1,000 people, and at last years game there were people having to stand on the track surrounding the field. There was easily 2,000 people there, and while it may not compare to larger school's rivalries there may be more people per capita at one these games than at larger schools. Does the HD/WH game have a trophy like ours does (a silver pine cone sits atop it!)? Just curious.............

[quote name="pinelandflash" post="1030039" timestamp="1312162770"]
The WS/Hemphill game isn't dubbed "The Sabine County Super Bowl" for nothing(it's also known as the Pine Cone Bowl)! It's similar to HD/WH I guess, mainly because I've never been to an HD/WH game. It says our stadium in Pineland can hold 1,000 people, and at last years game there were people having to stand on the track surrounding the field. There was easily 2,000 people there, and while it may not compare to larger school's rivalries there may be more people per capita at one these games than at larger schools. Does the HD/WH game have a trophy like ours does (a silver pine cone sits atop it!)? Just curious.............
[/quote] Only trophies we have are the teeth and blood of each other !! We have hated each other since the 50's !!

I believe a magazine listed Mid-County Madness as the third fiercest rivalry in the state. Maybe someone else can post a link; I don't remember which magazine it was.

As for fans per capita, Indian Stadium can seat the entire city of Port Neches, and there are typically people standing in the aisles and around the fence for MCM. Considering that the stadium seats 13,000 and there are ~45,000 residents in the Mid-County area, we're talking about one in three people attending the game, not to mention the countless thousands listening to the radio and internet broadcasts and, these days, watching the TV broadcast both in Mid-County and around the world (that's no joke), I'd say it's probably one of the most followed high school rivalries on the planet.

Scalp 'em.

[quote name="PN-G bandkid" post="1030134" timestamp="1312173660"]
I believe a magazine listed Mid-County Madness as the third fiercest rivalry in the state. Maybe someone else can post a link; I don't remember which magazine it was.

As for fans per capita, Indian Stadium can seat the entire city of Port Neches, and there are typically people standing in the aisles and around the fence for MCM. Considering that the stadium seats 13,000 and there are ~45,000 residents in the Mid-County area, we're talking about one in three people attending the game, not to mention the countless thousands listening to the radio and internet broadcasts and, these days, watching the TV broadcast both in Mid-County and around the world (that's no joke), I'd say it's probably one of the most followed high school rivalries on the planet.

Scalp 'em.
[/quote]

I remember a story about a teacher's first day there in Nederland. To explain the PN-G, Nederland rivalry, her principal took her into the kindergarten class, where they all took out their purple crayons, broke them in half and threw them in the trash. She realized then she was not dealing with anything explainable to anyone else........Now that's a rivalry

[quote name="VPirate" post="1030139" timestamp="1312176770"]
[quote author=PN-G bandkid link=topic=85755.msg1030134#msg1030134 date=1312173660]

Scalp 'em.
[/quote]

I remember a story about a teacher's first day there in Nederland. To explain the PN-G, Nederland rivalry, her principal took her into the kindergarten class, where they all took out their purple crayons, broke them in half and threw them in the trash. She realized then she was not dealing with anything explainable to anyone else........Now that's a rivalry

[/quote]

I like that story too...  I love rivalries!  :D

[quote name="VPirate" post="1030139" timestamp="1312176770"]
[quote author=PN-G bandkid link=topic=85755.msg1030134#msg1030134 date=1312173660]

Scalp 'em.
[/quote]

[/quote]

The other side to that story is that all PN-G kindergarteners are taught the fight song on the first day of school and that they're all given a picture of an Indian and a purple crayon to take home. Many PN-G elementary teachers grade in purple ink; my first grade teacher drove an old purple cadillac. At every pep rally the week of MCM, the football team is given a stuffed bulldog that they stab with Indian Spirit's spear and tear up in the gym. On spirit day, it's not uncommon to find multiple students walking the halls covered in purple and white body paint and there were rumors last year that both districts were bringing their elementary classes into their computer labs to vote in the Channel 12 Band of the Week competition (the computer kids at both high schools literally wrote autovote programs). Trash on the high school lawns, purple and white feathers and dog bones dumped at random places in all three cities... Mid-County is an unrestricted, anything-goes war zone one week out of the year.

Let me put it this way: I'm flying all the way back from Alabama to be at Indian Stadium for the Nederland game this year, but don't tell my mom that; she thinks I'm coming back for her birthday. ;D

I remember there was a rivalry like that in Beaumont when I was a kid (before Ozen).  When Central and West Brook plays at the old LU Stadium (which seated 17K +) there was standing room only with a bunch of screaming fans.  Even the area around the Montagne center and the hill area was packed.  There was the guy that parachuted in the stadium before the game.  I considered that a rivalry that's the be reconed with. 

[quote name="H-D BOBCAT 55" post="1029940" timestamp="1312145082"]
LOL. It was a figure of speech, I should have said both communities in two different counties shut down for this one. lol. Remember that kids from many different towns go to these two schools. Take Hull-Daisetta for instance, kids from Raywood, Ames and Devers go to H-D. That makes up a good portion of Liberty County. West Hardin is in Hardin County and gets kids from Batson, Thicket and HoneyIsland. So yes alot of towns in two different counties shut down on friday night for this game. Dayton fan is mad because H-D is the only team in Liberty County to win a State Championship. Many championships if you count the old championships we won, when you could only advance to Regional.

[/quote]

Trust me I am not mad nor jealous of your little football team.

Like I said judging a rivalry all depends on where you are from and who your rival was. We had to start giving a trophy out because we were the same way! Only we often had to sit down at the dinner table with the same guy whose head you were trying to knock off the night before because he was your cousin! WS/Hemphill is a rivalry, but San Augustine/Hemphill is the Hatfields and the McCoys, cause they absolutely can't stand one another!

It has probably been said a few times on this forum but Nederland/PNG goes way beyond football.

There isn't a day that goes by that someone at work doesn't make a comment to me about Nederland or I will make a comment about PNG. I might toss a pen to someone at work and if he drops it and is a PNG grad, I will quickly point out that it is merely another Indian that can't catch. If they find me in some mistake there is a statement about what do you expect from a Big Ned grad.

Go to any Nederland and Port Neches or Groves little league baseball games or anything else between them and you will always see a crowd that is larger than normal for that sport. I saw someone on here state that they could be playing tiddlywinks and would draw a crowd and that is likely true.

Mid-County Madness isn't one game or one week a year. It is 365 days a year.

[quote name="PN-G bandkid" post="1030143" timestamp="1312178735"]
[quote author=VPirate link=topic=85755.msg1030139#msg1030139 date=1312176770]

Scalp 'em.
[/quote]

[/quote]

The other side to that story is that all PN-G kindergarteners are taught the fight song on the first day of school and that they're all given a picture of an Indian and a purple crayon to take home. Many PN-G elementary teachers grade in purple ink; my first grade teacher drove an old purple cadillac. At every pep rally the week of MCM, the football team is given a stuffed bulldog that they stab with Indian Spirit's spear and tear up in the gym. On spirit day, it's not uncommon to find multiple students walking the halls covered in purple and white body paint and there were rumors last year that both districts were bringing their elementary classes into their computer labs to vote in the Channel 12 Band of the Week competition (the computer kids at both high schools literally wrote autovote programs). Trash on the high school lawns, purple and white feathers and dog bones dumped at random places in all three cities... Mid-County is an unrestricted, anything-goes war zone one week out of the year.

Let me put it this way: I'm flying all the way back from Alabama to be at Indian Stadium for the Nederland game this year, but don't tell my mom that; she thinks I'm coming back for her birthday. ;D
[/quote]

Very true, but the rivalry has toned done a bunch from the late 80s and early 90s.  I don't think that they are having near as much vandalism as they did back then.  There were windshields broken, signs trashed, rocks thrown, all kinds of stuff.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder