Russ Sutherland named East Chambers Head Coach/Athletic Director

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1008642" timestamp="1305072959"]
[quote author=bobbymcgee link=topic=84127.msg1008638#msg1008638 date=1305072004]
Walt Mangan? haha. why does he waste his time applying for head coaching jobs in SE Texas?

As for Huck, maybe somebody is trying to get a raise.
[/quote]

How much is Huck getting paid now?

Applying for a 2A job to get a raise at your current 3A job. That's a new one. ;)
[/quote]

According to the Enterprise, he is getting paid about $73.8 K.  The job at EC is estimated at $77.8 K.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1008614" timestamp="1305067459"]
And as to why Coach Huckabay may be doing this:

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/huddle/2011/05/10/east-chambers-would-be-a-step-up-for-huckabay/

Might I suggest that Mr. Henry not schedule any trips to Orangefield in the near future :D
[/quote]
I just sent a nice email to Mr. Henry.  Let's see if he has the guts to respond!

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1008642" timestamp="1305072959"]
[quote author=bobbymcgee link=topic=84127.msg1008638#msg1008638 date=1305072004]
Walt Mangan? haha. why does he waste his time applying for head coaching jobs in SE Texas?

As for Huck, maybe somebody is trying to get a raise.
[/quote]

How much is Huck getting paid now?

Applying for a 2A job to get a raise at your current 3A job. That's a new one. ;)
[/quote]
Alot is going on behind the scenes at Orangefield.  No surprise Huck applied for this job.  Actually I'd be surprised if Huck is still at Orangefield next year!

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="1008463" timestamp="1305051578"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=84127.msg1008410#msg1008410 date=1305047195]
[quote author=DP#1FAN link=topic=84127.msg1008405#msg1008405 date=1305046882]
That is a real good list.
[/quote]And it's a 2-A school. So I have a question now. Is this list good because EC has a good winning tradition? I was wondering if a school like HF had a similar ("who's who) when the HF position was open. Just curious how things flow around here.
[/quote]

East Chambers was able to get a good list because they excel in multiple sports, particularly football, have great facilities for a 2A, very good school district and they don't have "issues". ;)
[/quote]
Agree on all points.  Football has done well for years and basketball usually makes it deeper in the playoffs than football.  Would like to see the track program back where it once was.  The athletes are certainly there.

East Chambers does have good speed and they already have a no lose tradition.  Winning the 2A district that they were in shows a lot about their effort and pride.  I think coach foreman and coach huck are the best two candidates.  If a texas school can't find a texas high school football coach then something is wrong. Both understand tradition no doubt. Coach Valastro is a very good coach and has already instilled that.  I could see them absorbing a new coach with the same expectations out of the slot T.  Say what you want, but I could see Glenn running the trap so fast the anouncer or refs would be lost. No doubt their are some good candidates and you have everything you want out of them.  It just depends on what they are looking for.  Congrats to the finalists.

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="Bravoboy17" post="1008683" timestamp="1305082230"]
East Chambers does have good speed and they already have a no lose tradition.  Winning the 2A district that they were in shows a lot about their effort and pride.  I think coach foreman and coach huck are the best two candidates.  If a texas school can't find a texas high school football coach then something is wrong. Both understand tradition no doubt. Coach Valastro is a very good coach and has already instilled that.  I could see them absorbing a new coach with the same expectations out of the slot T.  Say what you want, but I could see Glenn running the trap so fast the anouncer or refs would be lost. No doubt their are some good candidates and you have everything you want out of them.  It just depends on what they are looking for.  Congrats to the finalists.
[/quote]

You verbalized my thoughts exactly!

All the finalists have their srong points, but Huck or TF would be great at EC! 

[quote name="Cat22" post="1008665" timestamp="1305078881"]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=84127.msg1008614#msg1008614 date=1305067459]

http://blog.beaumontenterprise.com/huddle/2011/05/10/east-chambers-would-be-a-step-up-for-huckabay/

Might I suggest that Mr. Henry not schedule any trips to Orangefield in the near future :D
[/quote]
I just sent a nice email to Mr. Henry.  Let's see if he has the guts to respond!
[/quote]

It does look like the e-mail did create enough waves for Henry to amend his blog.  But I have reservations as to him doing such a blog.  Yes, it is obvious that he favors Huckabay for the job and I can't argue with some of the reasoning behind his blog.  Yet, for him to try and do so in the open internet at the expense of another local school is a cheap shot.

[quote name="tamulonghorn" post="1008773" timestamp="1305127816"]
guys russ sutherland is the best candidate on paper and in person all you have to do is do a little research
[/quote]

Question, why would a AD/HC of a 4A school in Lake Charles want a 2A job in a small town like Winnie?

How do these two jobs compare? Salary, ect.?

Guest wackpack
[quote name="tamulonghorn" post="1008773" timestamp="1305127816"]
guys russ sutherland is the best candidate on paper and in person all you have to do is do a little research
[/quote] ther not going to listen to you !! lol ... 6 finalist but decision has been made .........

I don't blame Huck for wanting to leave. It is a no win situation at Orangefield. Hard working kids no doubt and if the kids had a say so I bet they would want Huck to stay. If Huck leaves it will be a step backward for Orangefield. Why can't parents mind their own business. If I was a coach Orangefield would not be on my list as far as places I would want to coach. Not because of the kids, they are great. To much drama and complaining. Orangefield looked like a JV team compared to most of their opponets and they went 7-3. First winning season in a long time and they want to run this guy off. Go figure!!!!!!

Guest speechless
[quote]Question, why would a AD/HC of a 4A school in Lake Charles want a 2A job in a small town like Winnie?

How do these two jobs compare? Salary, ect.?[/quote]

He can retire in Louisiana

He has always wanted to work in Texas

He knows how great EC is from his brother having worked there

Check...he has been trying to get in Texas for a while...he was also about to get offered the Jasper job before Thomas Brooks entered the picture on his last go around

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="1008782" timestamp="1305129665"]
I don't blame Huck for wanting to leave. It is a no win situation at Orangefield. Hard working kids no doubt and if the kids had a say so I bet they would want Huck to stay. If Huck leaves it will be a step backward for Orangefield. Why can't parents mind their own business. If I was a coach Orangefield would not be on my list as far as places I would want to coach. Not because of the kids, they are great. To much drama and complaining. Orangefield looked like a JV team compared to most of their opponets and they went 7-3. First winning season in a long time and they want to run this guy off. Go figure!!!!!!
[/quote]

Agreed.

[/quote]

I also agree!  There is a huge percentage of helicopter parents in this school district who think their precious children are above the rules and need to be coddled/spoon fed all their lives.  It starts at the flag football/kindergarten age and moves right on up.  I've lived in a lot of school districts, and this one takes the cake!  I was hoping (foolishly) that Huck would still be there when my kids (elementary) moved up to high school.  His style is exactly what I appreciate in an AD!!

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="1008771" timestamp="1305127373"]
[quote author=Cat22 link=topic=84127.msg1008665#msg1008665 date=1305078881]
[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=84127.msg1008614#msg1008614 date=1305067459]

[/quote]
[/quote]

It does look like the e-mail did create enough waves for Henry to amend his blog.  But I have reservations as to him doing such a blog.  Yes, it is obvious that he favors Huckabay for the job and I can't argue with some of the reasoning behind his blog.  Yet, for him to try and do so in the open internet at the expense of another local school is a cheap shot.
[/quote]
He did respond to my email basically saying he meant no disrespect towards OF.  I know he received numerous emails from OF folk!

[/quote]
Very well said!  Cound not agree more!

If Huck leaves Orangefield it would be a huge loss! The OF school board needs to cough up 5K and match this 2A school salary! This coach is old school, and the kind of coach that teaches kids lessons they will appreciate for the rest of their lives.  He is a true AD and is involved in every sport, not just football.  Please don't go coach  :'( 

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="wackpack" post="1008780" timestamp="1305129138"]
ther not going to listen to you !! lol ... 6 finalist but decision has been made .........
[/quote]

Thats probably right. They go through the motions for appearance sake, but most all things athletic or otherwise are usually settled long before anything is even posted. I am hoping this could be an exception, but I am highly doubtful of it. Huck, with his history at 2A OPP and his program instilled discipline, is THE best candidate for EC.   

[quote name="taprapgrab" post="1008826" timestamp="1305139322"]
If Huck leaves Orangefield it would be a huge loss! The OF school board needs to cough up 5K and match this 2A school salary! This coach is old school, and the kind of coach that teaches kids lessons they will appreciate for the rest of their lives.  He is a true AD and is involved in every sport, not just football.  Please don't go coach  :'(   
[/quote]
Money is not the reason he applied for this job!

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="1008851" timestamp="1305143063"]
[quote author=wackpack link=topic=84127.msg1008780#msg1008780 date=1305129138]
ther not going to listen to you !! lol ... 6 finalist but decision has been made .........
[/quote]

Thats probably right. They go through the motions for appearance sake, but most all things athletic or otherwise are usually settled long before anything is even posted. I am hoping this could be an exception, but I am highly doubtful of it. Huck, with his history at 2A OPP and his program instilled discipline, is THE best candidate for EC.   
[/quote]

Could not agree with you more. It is all about turning boys into men and he is the man for the job. If we lose Huck it may be many more years before we have a winning record. I am just wondering how many coaches is Orangefield going to go through before they are happy. My bet is ALOT!!!!! ;D ;D Because they are never happy.

Could not agree with you more Riding Solo.... ;)

What is going on at Orangefield with Coach Huckabay is an embarrassment to the school and community. When he was hired he was very clear to the board, parents and students as to who he was and what he stood for and now he is being “beat up” for sticking to his word. For those of you who don’t remember, Coach Huckabay, had numerous parent meetings and in fact all athletes were required to have a parent attend. At those meetings he gave out a rulebook and stated his belief that participating in school sports was a privilege earned by hard work, discipline and following the rules and now that he has actually kept his word and enforced those beliefs he is paying the price. Coach Huckabay turned boys into men and helped make them mentally tough and it carried over to the football field and that is why we were more successful than previous years. Surely people can understand that….

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder