54-0

This is pitiful. No need to score that many runs and completely embarrass the other team. There are plenty of ways to get outs. I mean just go up to the plate and swing three times or something.  Shame on the coach of Lake Highlands

I hate routs in baseball... unless you do it the "right way".. NO extra-base hits, NO stealing, Pitchers throw ONLY fastballs, etc... You get what Im saying ;) The kids work hard to go play some baseball, so they want to play the game the way they know how

But My real question is, what kind of team were they playing? ??? Im more concerned about the other team because that is what's pitiful

[quote name="EAGLE07" post="981180" timestamp="1299863478"]
Hit a single get caught trying for double or triple.....simple.
[/quote]

Maybe not, Lake Highlands scored 54 runs on 44 hits which indicates they had either quite a few walks or errors (or both).  If someone tries to take an extra base in an attempt to be put out and the team in the field bungles the play, then the coach is really accused of running up the score because he was always having his guys stretch singles and doubles.

And no, I don't have any better ideas.

Guest Ranger83
Mercy rule should be updated to include stopping any game with a 15 or more run lead after 2 innings or 20 or more run lead after 1 inning.

Nothing is being accomplished in a game like this.

[quote name="WOSgrad" post="981193" timestamp="1299864627"]
[quote author=EAGLE07 link=topic=81559.msg981180#msg981180 date=1299863478]
Hit a single get caught trying for double or triple.....simple.
[/quote]

Maybe not, Lake Highlands scored 54 runs on 44 hits which indicates they had either quite a few walks or errors (or both).  If someone tries to take an extra base in an attempt to be put out and the team in the field bungles the play, then the coach is really accused of running up the score because he was always having his guys stretch singles and doubles.

And no, I don't have any better ideas.
[/quote]

Yeah...I just saw that. Maybe they should think about baseball as their budget cut.  ;)

[quote name="pinelandflash" post="982807" timestamp="1300159322"]
That's pitiful sportsmanship! I mean after it got to say 20-0 I would have my guys bunt every AB, swing at terrible pitches, etc., etc.
Whoever did this will recieve their comeuppance somewhere down the road, hopefully in a playoff deciding game! Wouldn't that be poetic justice at it's finest!
[/quote]

I, too, have pondered the tactics suggested in keeping the score down.  However, I also wondered if there is a point when those methods in keeping the score down (bunting, free swinging, etc.) would become more embarrassing to the trailing team than the beating that was being administered.

I'm sure there are views on both sides of it, just food for thought.

You are right. Those tactics would eventually become obvious. I know there are two sides to every story, but having been on the wrong end of several scores (albeit NONE that bad) you reach a point where you just start laughing and look forward to the next game.  I feel the winning coach was probably more embarrassed than the loser because he, more than likely, had to explain why the score was run up.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder