Little Cypress-Mauriceville vs. Vidor Boys Match Thread/LC-M wins!

WOSgrad

A scrappy Little Cypress-Mauriceville Bears soccer team battled to a 2-0 victory over the Vidor Pirates.  Jordan King and Tanner Crow each scored for the Bears; while goalie Adam Garza and Zach Blanchard spearheaded a strong defensive effort.

Coach Jeremy Watzlavk commented that, "I am excited with the win.  Blanchard was unbelievable tonight.  He carried the team with his athletism and speed.  He was determined that the other team wasn't going to score on us."

Another bright spot was the play of goalie Adam Garza.  "Adam did a phenomenal job.  The Pirates fired some missiles against him, and he made some huge stops.  He was flawless", said Watzlavik.

The play was intense between the cross-county rivals. And, the fact that Pirates Coach Matt Wedel ended his tenure as the Bears coach following the 2009 season inspired both teams to play their best.

Mounting several offensive attacks early in the game, the Pirates consistently applied pressure on the Bears' defense.  Twenty minutes into the game, the Bears were missing several key players due to injuries.

"We controlled the action in the first half.  I looked over on their sideline and I see Garhett Bonneaux, Mitchell Heil, and Tommy Jones out with injuries ", said  Pirates Coach Matt Wedel,  "and I am thinking that we have a good chance." But, the Bears hung tough.

The Bears earned the critical first goal with less than one minute remaining in the first half.  Left midfielder Jordan King received a nice pass from Harley Cobb at the 25-yardline.  King gathered the pass and then kicked a lobbing shot to the back side post for a 1-0 Bears lead.  "It was a pretty goal by Jordan", admired Wedel.

The goal provided a much needed boost for the Bears.  "Jordan's goal gave us some momentum.  It lifted up the guys and gave them confidence that we could get the job done", noted Watzlavik.

The Pirates contined fighting hard through out the 2nd half.  "I knew that the Pirates would come out firing in the 2nd half.  I told our guys to hold them for the next 20 minutes, and then we could make our move", said Watzlavik.

The Bears performance improved in the second half.  The Pirates found difficulty in getting a clear shot on goal as Blanchard kept popping up on defense.  And, Bonneaux's "return in 2nd half really helped", said Watzlavik.  Erik Tutt and Cobb also provided strong defensive play for the Bears. 

The Bears doubled their lead with 5 minutes remaining in the game with a goal from Tanner Crow.  Midfielder Yohanness Dundon delivered the pass to Crow on the left side of the field.  Crow "fought to get to the box and he put the ball past the goalie" observed Wedel. 

"It was a relief when Crow's shot hit the net.  He gave a big-time effort on that play", said Watzlavik of the insurance goal. "The Pirates were constantly firing shots against our defense."

Coach Watzlavik told his team after the game, "Great job.  You guys never gave up."  Watzlavik later commented, "I am proud of the whole team.  Our team was able to keep its composure during the adversity."

Even though Coach Wedel was disappointed with the loss, he was complimentary of the Bears' play.  "The Bears played hard.  It was a good game.  My hat goes off to them. "

Coach Watzlavik admired Wedel's coaching ability.  "Wedel is a phenomenal coach," said Watzlavik.  "His teams always play good soccer.  He showed his strong character to be with his team" while a family member is hospitalized.  "It shows that he really cares for his team.  He is a great guy". 

Wedel was pleased with the play of Pirates midfielder Zack Barton.

The Bears host the Ozen Panthers on Friday night. 

I have watched three games of the Pirates now.  In all 3, Vidor dominated possession (at least 60/40 last night, 70/30 against Ozen, and 60/40 against Central), tripled or quadrupled the shots on goal of the other team, had 6x more corners (tells you who is winning the possession game), and lost two of the games in not so close fashion (3-1 to Central, 2-0 to LCM).  Puzzling.  I did think that LCM did a better job in the middle than Central did, but still, very few chances that I saw from LCM.  The Keeper from Vidor is going to have to make a save at some point.  (I don't credit the long shots without pressure).  Bottom line is, you have to assume that the other team is going to get a shot on goal from scoring range -- the GKs have to save some of those.  Credit to LCM's GK for making several saves.  Arsenal is going into a match today against Barcelona with the same issue -- Barca will shoot on goal, will the keeper save one?  Tottenham's keeper did yesterday (twice) and they beat AC Milan in Italy.  Keepers have to save shots on goal. 

And, while Vidor had plenty of close range shots, most of them were over the field goal.  The closer you are to the goal, the lower the shot needs to be.  Vidor must have had 6 shots from the box in the second half and I only remember one challenging the keeper (and it was straight to him). 

Good job Islander, It is always great to read you articles. Vidor had 10 or more shots in the goal and score zero, Lcm had four shots in the goal and score 2. The explanation is simple, Lcm had their best goal keeper playing Golly, Vidor had their only legit goal keeper on the team, who is one of the best in SETX playing left mid. You can’t build a winning soccer team around a weak goal keeper. It has to start with the golly.  We can beat up on ozen and Bridge city but can we win big games? The answer is no. Not with Zach Barton Playing left mid. I think Matt Wedel is a great soccer Coach and no one wants to win more than he does, I don’t know his rationale behind playing Zach Barton as left mid, but  It is not working.  He is the most valuable player on the team, He is the x factor and he needs be between the goal post.  It was a great game last night, both teams played hard and fought till the end, the difference was that the pirates didn’t have someone that can make crucial saves at the end of the half or the end of the game. Lcm’s goal keeper was amazing, he was player of the game, if it wasn’t for him, lcm would of lost the game last night. For the pirates to make the playoffs they need to beat teams like nederland, png, central and lcm, we already lost to png, central and lcm. With Zach as a goal keeper we have a better chance of beating those teams. These are just my opinion. I am just a passionate pirate’s soccer fan. Keep your heads up pirates, you have a great team and there are a lot of games left. Play together, play hard and don’t give up. We’ll be behind you 100% and we want to see you in the playoffs.

[quote name="soccerinsider" post="967148" timestamp="1297877072"]
Good job Islander, It is always great to read you articles. Vidor had 10 or more shots in the goal and score zero, Lcm had four shots in the goal and score 2. The explanation is simple, Lcm had their best goal keeper playing Golly, Vidor had their only legit goal keeper on the team, who is one of the best in SETX playing left mid. You can’t build a winning soccer team around a weak goal keeper. It has to start with the golly.  We can beat up on ozen and Bridge city but can we win big games? The answer is no. Not with Zach Barton Playing left mid. I think Matt Wedel is a great soccer Coach and no one wants to win more than he does, I don’t know his rationale behind playing Zach Barton as left mid, but  It is not working.  He is the most valuable player on the team, He is the x factor and he needs be between the goal post.  It was a great game last night, both teams played hard and fought till the end, the difference was that the pirates didn’t have someone that can make crucial saves at the end of the half or the end of the game. Lcm’s goal keeper was amazing, he was player of the game, if it wasn’t for him, lcm would of lost the game last night. For the pirates to make the playoffs they need to beat teams like nederland, png, central and lcm, we already lost to png, central and lcm. With Zach as a goal keeper we have a better chance of beating those teams. These are just my opinion. I am just a passionate pirate’s soccer fan. Keep your heads up pirates, you have a great team and there are a lot of games left. Play together, play hard and don’t give up. We’ll be behind you 100% and we want to see you in the playoffs.
[/quote]that was funny ::)

I love it when fans criticize a teenager in a public forum (i.e. the Vidor goal keeper).  By the way, that statement was intended as sarcasm.

If you are an adult, control your “fan” emotions and swallow it. This may be “varsity” soccer but he is still a kid (who played his heart out).  If you are a kid making the comments, then stop complaining and go play.  If you are a kid that plays and are making public comments, then learn a lesson in life and talk to your team about the issue, not the world.

Here is a lesson for all the “fans” out there. Before you criticize a player/teammate, ask yourself what it is going to accomplish for the team that you are so passionate about.  Is ridiculing the keeper and telling him he shouldn’t be playing there going to make him play better or possibly crush him so he plays worse the next game???  You don’t know?  Then I suggest you not take the chance.

To the Vidor keeper:  Keep your head up kid.  You did not do a bad.  Don’t listen to the fans who are calling for your “job”.  The two goals scored were very good shots.  Not many keepers in this district (if any) would have been able to stop them.  Both shots came across goal.  One had height and one had angle.  Again, keep your head up kid.

What's funny is you are the only one who is laughing.  What is your suggestion?  Why do you think they are losing to teams like LCM, PNG, and Central? Don't tell me they are better than us because they aren't.  This years team has a very talented group of boys that have played together for about ten years.  Zach, Tyler, Taylor, and Brandon  made the playoffs as freshmen starting on the varsity team.  They went two rounds deep in the playoffs.  It's been two years since that season and they should be better than ever.  There is no way that we should not be winning these games.  What do you think the problem is?  I think that the coach has his player in the wrong position.......  What's your guess?  I'm don't think it is funny that a team with this much potential is not performing to their ability.  I also guarantee that the parents in the bleachers are not laughing......  I am not one to blame the coach but it is what it is.........

P.S. For the record Never.......  I was not intentionally "bashing" the goal keeper.  I know he is doing his best but everyone knows that he is not a goalie.  He is a good athlete and has potential to become a good goalie.  Unfortunately/fortunately, we have someone else on the team that plays that position better.  I'm not saying not to play him (put him on the feild), but don't play him as goalie in a competitive game that we need the win to go to the play offs.  Since we have someone who has played goalie his whole life, I think he gives us a better chance of winning.

soccerinsider...you can call me anytime you want to talk shop...you can come by school and talk shop...but I will not discuss any of my players on a forum with anyone and I will not discuss and player positives or negatives with anyone other than with my team.  You have every right to critisize how i do my job (that comes with the territory) but you didnt just do that, you criticized an athlete and because of that fact the conversation went south quickly...

now as far as the "parents" comment goes...you must not know me very well! 

Matt Wedel
Head Boys Soccer Coach
Vidor Pirates

That's great coach.  You should do that (only talk about your team with them) but I will not be dropping by to talk shop.  I know you think you are doing what is best.  My intentions were to post my opinion of what I think would make the team better.  You really don't have to respond at all.  You don't have to justify anything to me.  I understand that your responsibility is to your team and those are the ones you can explain your motives too.  As far as criticizing the goalie, that was not really my intention.  I apologize to the young goalie.  I know he is doing the best he can and gives 100%.  He is a really great well rounded athlete.  I was only trying to point out that we do have another player on the team who is better at the goalie position.  I am sorry if that hurts the other goalies feelings but I am pretty sure he and you know that already.  As far as your parents comment.....  Are you saying the parents love you or are you saying you don't care about how the parents think or feel?  I would be careful if I were you.  Your parents can be your greatest asset or your worst enemy. 
I really wish you the best and hope the team makes the playoffs.  That is what we expect from our soccer team in Vidor.

Zach Barton is one of the best players in the district without a doubt. I have been to a few of the Vidor games and from what i have seen the team has its strengths and weaknesses, but as far as Zach going back to goalie i disagree. He is a great goalie for sure as i have played with him. Zach Barton has one of the best left foots that the Vidor program has ever seen. Thus he does not need to play goalie and should be dribbling at defenders and hitting shots from not only in the box but from outside the box as well. He has plenty of power and the keepers in the district tend to be somewhat sketchy at times so a well hit shot on frame will definitely trouble some keepers without a doubt. Being a product of Vidor soccer we have never been a "passing" team. It was always straight to the goal and score. But with this team as it is a very young team they move the ball well at times. The only problem it seems is that in the end we do not get something for our team. What I mean is we need to be more effective in and around the box. Getting something for the team does not necessarily mean a goal, it could be a cross behind the defense, a shot on target forcing the keeper to make a save, getting us a corner.

Like i said Vidor has a young team that will grow throughout the year into next year. Cameron is a very good player but yet still needs to mature, he will be a very good player in the coming years as he grows into his role on the team. I think one of the main problems is that the players are moved around too much into different positions. They need to be in a steady position that they can grow into and make it theirs. Its hard to perform different roles every time you go in. With that being said Vidor has a very good team that can accomplish great things, but above all needs to be a TEAM!!! They must not ever rely on one player to make everything happen. 

Not that Coach Wedel needs to be defended, but I have known him for 5 years and know that he is universally respected as being one of the top soccer coaches in the area.  I have yet to hear any negative comments about his ability to coach soccer.  Comparing the performance difference between the Vidor club team (not coached by Wedel) and the Vidor high school team (coached by Wedel) is like night and day.  Wedel has those kids performing at a high level.  The kids are playing in the proper positions.  Vidor is a well respected team.  No doubt about that.  On top of his soccer knowledge, he has a genuine concern for the kids that he coaches.  He is dedicated to his job.  Bottom line: he can coach any of my kids, any time.

I agree with the comments from Never.  I have watched the video of the two goals by LC-M.  The goals were shots that I don't think any goalie in the district would have a chance of stopping.

I want to stress that we should focus on the positive aspects of sports.  Looking at the big picture, it is just a game.  But there are so many life lessons that we can teach our young adults through sports and competition.  The first half of the season is nearly over, and I have seen several things to be encouraged about the remainder of the season.  I guess its just how each of us chose to look at things.

"of course you wont..."

Now that is funny.....

I am not saying that Wedel is a bad coach.  I do however feel as though he would do better by playing Zach as the goalie.  Zach not only played goalie for his club team but under Wedel last year, and Correia the year before that.  He has all of the experience from the club team and the schools.  I know he plays great in the mid field but you have to have some of your great players on defense as well as the offense.  This is just my opinion and I love the open discussion.  Although, I refuse to believe that we are a better, well rounded team with Zach as a mid feilder.  Do we have a better offence when he plays mid feild......yes...  Do we have a better defense...... no.  To win games you need both.  Once again, this is just my opinion and everyone is entitled to their own.

I think Scott is doing great! I hope he loves the game enough to keep playing for years after high school.  I have been to every Vidor Game this year and have seen only one goal that he might have stopped had he had playing time growing up in the box.  Zach might have stopped that one goal and maybe he would not have.  As a rookie Goalkeeper Scott is already 90% as good as Zach is as a Keeper, but Scott is not 90% as good as Zack on the field.  Which is where, I think, on this team, he is needed.  A Soccer team that never scores, is a Soccer team that never wins.  Vidor has won the possession contest in every game this year other than maybe the one last night against the bulldogs and that was very close.  My guess is Nederland 52% Vidor 48% and this game ended in a very close 1 - 0 win for Nederland.  Congrats to them! We'll Get Ya next time!  This brings me to my strong opinion that Vidor may very well beat every district team they lost to in the first half of the season.  It could happen.  It could.

[glow=red,2,300]Go Vidor Boys Go![/glow]  Keep your heads up.  All champions spent time not being champions before the were champions!  Loss is a part of the process and it make victory all the more sweeter.  Go Vidor Boys Go!

I may be just a Lemonhead, but I know what is sweet and what is sour.

In my opinion, Coach Wedel knows his team better than anyone on this forum.  He works with these kids on a daily basis and knows what each of his players are capable of doing. He also knows which combination of players gives us the best chance to win. 
It is also my opinion that everyone else is entitled to their state their opinion unless that opinion belittles a player or coach.  If you truly are a fan, realize that the players read this message board. No player wants to see a negative comment about his coach or teammate.  Negative comments produce negative play.  If you are a pirate fan be a pirate fan and let the man coach .  Realize that he knows the players better than you do.  If you are not a pirate fan quit saying that you are. 

Wow........ Really?  Why are you so sensitive?  I never said I think I know the players better than Coach Wedel.  I think it is extreme to say that just because you don't agree with a coach about where a player best benefits his team that "you are not truly a fan".  I don't think I have belittled anyone.  I have already said that I think coach Wedel is a good coach, and it is just my opinion that we would do better if Zach was our goalie.  I have also said that Scott is doing the best he can and he is not a bad goalie...... it's just that Zach is better. Why does this make you upset?  It only makes sense that Zach would be a better goalie just because of all the experience he has that Scott does not.  I didn't say....he was terrible, way worse than, no way he should be playing, or anything like that......  That to me, would be belittling.  I am simply stating my opinion and I have yet to meet a fan that agrees 100% with any coach (of any sport).  Like Coach Wedel said earlier...... it comes with the job.  I don't understand how people are still stuck on this topic.  It is just my opinion and I am ready to move on.  I really don't get the big deal.  I am more interested in talking about the game for tomorrow than focusing on this.  Obviously Zach is not going to be the goalie and that is okay.  My feelings are not hurt.  Shoot..... he's not even playing left mid anymore.  He played center back for the last two games, and to tell you the truth, it's still not the position I would like to see him play, but I think it was an improvement.  It seemed like he benefited the team more there than he did in the mid field.  Zach alone does not make this team.  Everyone on the team has to step up their game for the second round of district or we will not make the play offs.  I am a Vidor fan and have been for a long time.  Is this good enough for you coach Parker?

Is that a serious question?.......  People do it all the time.  I think it is pretty obvious that I think it is okay.  Every coach understands that fans are going to have their own opinions, and believe it or not, they might not agree with them.  I'm pretty sure coach Wedel isn't losing any sleep over what fans put on a message board.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, and are allowed to voice those opinions if done in a respectful way.

I can vouch for Coach W.  on the part of .. You cannot care what parents think either.  If they are your best friend or your worst enemy , doesnt really matter.  Only thing that matters , the only thing...Is the kids on the team. If they agree with the coach and beleive in the coach.  Parents dont play the games, and parents dont practice the kids.  Parents are not part of the team.  They are supporters of a team.  You have to do it for the kids.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder