Open Message Hamshire - Fannett Basketball Future

BLUEDOVE3

Coaching has been a problem at HF for a few years ,we haven't had a coach that could coach to keep his job without the playing the little johnnies,I do have respect for the current A/D he seems that he is willing to make changes,and play based on talent and work ethic,that's all we or asking for.Not who kid you might be,It's about making kids believe they can play and compete with anyone,and the current and past basketball seasons have not provided that option.yes the kids could do better than what they are doing,But if you don't believe in the coach you get what we are getting.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="bballgod" post="965236" timestamp="1297529759"]
At some point you are going to have to make a decision.  Are at HF for academics or for basketball?  If you are there for academics then you must live with the frustrations that you will continue to get with basketball (weights, coaching, etc.).  If you are there for basketball, then Dove, you are smart enough to know that HF isn't the best place to be for basketball.  You and momma have complained since the beginning of the season about one thing or another. 
[/quote]Okay I'm back! Complained? Yep, just exposing a situation that no one wanted to address or pretend it doesn't exist.

[quote name="Someone's Dad" post="965595" timestamp="1297606778"]
[quote author=Bobcat05 link=topic=80192.msg965589#msg965589 date=1297588940]
Little Dribblers? Come on... ::)
[/quote]

I believe her point is that there is talent in HF area which shows up at the junior high ages. However, when these kids get to high school the results seem to be vastly different. Now I will grant you that kids' talents change as they grow older. Now, how do you explain that the talent at every other school leap frogs the kids at HF. The problem isn't that HF has trouble making the playoffs, they have trouble even winning a game. This isn't just a basketball problem. Now I read on this board that you can't judge a school by what the do in middle school. But how do you explain every basketball player that comes through HF getting leap frogged in talent by every player at every school. This is why parents who have kids with athletic talent often look to move their kids before they get to high school. It is mind boggling.
[/quote]We lost a very good athlete for 2014 to another district and there are others leaving. ;)

[quote name="whsalum" post="965755" timestamp="1297660821"]
Did I miss something or did the UIL change the rules for transferring for athletic purposes?I know it happens but it really is a shame that kids would transfer from one public school to another because they didn't like the basketball coach.
[/quote]
That is the most circumvented rule in the entire UIL constitution!!!!! Everyone on here seems to blast officials for blowing calls every time their team loses, but you notice that the UIL never gets blasted for this one.... :o :o

[quote name="monotone" post="965567" timestamp="1297572649"]
imo hf struggles and will continue to struggle because they have too many players worried about stats and not enough who play for the team.  from what ive seen, when breaking the press there is way too much dribbling.  whenever they break the press the easiest, the ball never touches the floor.  this is where nearly all the turnovers came from last night against WOS. 
[/quote] ::) What stats? Please tell me what stat a player is worried about. Not one single player on the HF squad is a MAJOR scorer or can carry that team. Most are role players and there is no true LEADER on that squad. There are no stars on that team. It's a combination of things. For your example, when HF rebounds and the ball is "kicked" out to the guards, you won't get caught up in the press.

[quote name="Lt. Dangle" post="965787" timestamp="1297692577"]
[quote author=whsalum link=topic=80192.msg965755#msg965755 date=1297660821]
Did I miss something or did the UIL change the rules for transferring for athletic purposes?I know it happens but it really is a shame that kids would transfer from one public school to another because they didn't like the basketball coach.
[/quote]
That is the most circumvented rule in the entire UIL constitution!!!!! Everyone on here seems to blast officials for blowing calls every time their team loses, but you notice that the UIL never gets blasted for this one.... :o :o
[/quote]The only reason most of these kids consider changing schools is the almighy "play at the next level" goal which is a pipe dream for probably 95% of these guys.When you let your kids do this they almost always become a a little fish in a big pond.Lt.Daigle most of the folks who come on here ,with the exception of a few old coaches, and blast the officials wouldn't know which end of the whistle to blow.

[quote name="whsalum" post="965845" timestamp="1297701961"]
[quote author=Lt. Dangle link=topic=80192.msg965787#msg965787 date=1297692577]
[/quote]
[/quote]The only reason most of these kids consider changing schools is the almighy "play at the next level" goal which is a pipe dream for probably 95% of these guys.When you let your kids do this they almost always become a a little fish in a big pond.Lt.Daigle most of the folks who come on here ,with the exception of a few old coaches, and blast the officials wouldn't know which end of the whistle to blow.
[/quote]
;D ;D ;D I know all too well  ;D ;D ;D

I can understand Dove and Mom08 frustration. Here is the reason, I have a lot of friends from HF that I met through the years in Little Dribblers and believe me the rivalry was just as intense as it was 30 years ago.(Orangefield) That being said, while the girls team have had some success just not the succes they should have. Here is an example, the 2007 class when they were 9 & 10 won nationals in Little Dribblers. They had some talent but when they got to high school they never made the playoffs. Still scratching my head on that one. The 2008 class beat us in Little Dribblers and in Junior High. Never beat us in high school. Still scratching my head. I do realize that you cannot compare Little dribblers and Junior High to high school. Things change when you get to high school. Some kids mature in junior high most do not until they get to high school. Some kids quit, some lose interest, some fall in love and then they start driving. There is a lot of things that changes for a kid once he/she goes to high school. Wish I had the answer but I don't.

[quote name="whsalum" post="965845" timestamp="1297701961"]
[quote author=Lt. Dangle link=topic=80192.msg965787#msg965787 date=1297692577]
[/quote]
[/quote]Actually, if you have a good skill you can play college ball somewhere ;)

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="965894" timestamp="1297708280"]
I can understand Dove and Mom08 frustration. Here is the reason, I have a lot of friends from HF that I met through the years in Little Dribblers and believe me the rivalry was just as intense as it was 30 years ago.(Orangefield) That being said, while the girls team have had some success just not the succes they should have. Here is an example, the 2007 class when they were 9 & 10 won nationals in Little Dribblers. They had some talent but when they got to high school they never made the playoffs. Still scratching my head on that one. The 2008 class beat us in Little Dribblers and in Junior High. Never beat us in high school. Still scratching my head. I do realize that you cannot compare Little dribblers and Junior High to high school. Things change when you get to high school. Some kids mature in junior high most do not until they get to high school. Some kids quit, some lose interest, some fall in love and then they start driving. There is a lot of things that changes for a kid once he/she goes to high school. Wish I had the answer but I don't.
[/quote]

Maybe the kids at the other schools didnt have to spend as much time lifting weights and were thus able to improve their skills as well as understanding how the game is played?

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="965894" timestamp="1297708280"]
[/quote]
Likely answer is they got the "Good Enough" disease.
That is the worst enemy of every youngster with potential. They think they are good and try to get by with a minimum amount of work. Next thing they know, everyone has passed them by.

One more thing, how do administrations and school boards REALLY know what they are getting when they hire a coach? They are making a decision based on an interview and past records. I mean that coach has a high winning percentage. Does that mean he/she is a good coach. I don't think so, not in all cases. Maybe they just had talent. Its a guessing game 50/50 chance. Unless you have been to a practice/game and watched the coach work the kids you really don't know what you are getting. IMO more research needs to done when hiring a coach. If that means driving 300 miles then drive 300 miles. Even if you find the right guy/lady, Orangefield and Hamphire Fannett will never be able to comete (boy side) on a regular bases as long as we are in this district. Can we compete? Yes we can but not year end and year out unless both communities start growing at a rapid pace. I hate to say that but it is true. I would rather Orangefield not grow, Small communities are special, close knit.

[quote name="stevenash" post="965906" timestamp="1297710031"]
[quote author=Riding Solo link=topic=80192.msg965894#msg965894 date=1297708280]
[/quote].

Maybe the kids at the other schools didnt have to spend as much time lifting weights and were thus able to improve their skills as well as understanding how the game is played?
[/quote]Now that is an excellent point S.N

[quote name="The Ingredient" post="965907" timestamp="1297710073"]
[quote author=Riding Solo link=topic=80192.msg965894#msg965894 date=1297708280]
[/quote]
Likely answer is they got the "Good Enough" disease.
That is the worst enemy of every youngster with potential. They think they are good and try to get by with a minimum amount of work. Next thing they know, everyone has passed them by.
[/quote]

Yes, this does happen. I have also seen a kid mature in Junior High and was good. Then got passed up by late bloomers.

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="965908" timestamp="1297710171"]
One more thing, how do administrations and school boards REALLY know what they are getting when they hire a coach? They are making a decision based on an interview and past records. I mean that coach has a high winning percentage. Does that mean he/she is a good coach. I don't think so, not in all cases. Maybe they just had talent. Its a guessing game 50/50 chance. Unless you have been to a practice/game and watched the coach work the kids you really don't know what you are getting. IMO more research needs to done when hiring a coach. If that means driving 300 miles then drive 300 miles. Even if you find the right guy/lady, Orangefield and Hamphire Fannett will never be able to comete (boy side) on a regular bases as long as we are in this district. Can we compete? Yes we can but not year end and year out unless both communities start growing at a rapid pace. I hate to say that but it is true. I would rather Orangefield not grow, Small communities are special, close knit.
[/quote]I thought Silsbee and Sour Lake were small communities?

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="965920" timestamp="1297710685"]
[quote author=Riding Solo link=topic=80192.msg965908#msg965908 date=1297710171]
[/quote]

They don't come much smaller than Sour Lake.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="965920" timestamp="1297710685"]
[/quote]

I would say HJ yes Silsbee no. Also HJ only competes on a regular bases in basketball and golf. I am talking about year end year out. Silsbee has 300 more students thats another 3a school.

[quote name="stevenash" post="965927" timestamp="1297711221"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=80192.msg965920#msg965920 date=1297710685]
[/quote]

They don't come much smaller than Sour Lake.
[/quote]

At least HJ has a dairy queen. ;D ;D

[quote name="stevenash" post="965933" timestamp="1297711717"]
Yes, they have one- The prices are higher than any place in Beaumont
[/quote]

Bummer, well we do have K-dans which has the highest prices of any store in Orange County. Oh ya and a Mexican restaurant. Don't know about their prices yet. ;D ;D ;D

[quote name="Riding Solo" post="965938" timestamp="1297712210"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=80192.msg965933#msg965933 date=1297711717]
[/quote]

Bummer, well we do have K-dans which has the highest prices of any store in Orange County. Oh ya and a Mexican restaurant. Don't know about their prices yet. ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]Whats K-DANS? A drug store?

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="965970" timestamp="1297716489"]
[quote author=Riding Solo link=topic=80192.msg965938#msg965938 date=1297712210]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=80192.msg965933#msg965933 date=1297711717]
[/quote]

[/quote]Whats K-DANS? A drug store?
[/quote]

Grocery store with a meat market and plate lunches.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Ryzxed
    Newest Member
    Ryzxed