Lamar, SHS not primary WAC targets

From the San Antonio paper:

[quote]While he didn’t totally shut the door on any speculation regarding Lamar and Sam Houston State, Southland Conference commissioner Tom Burnett said Wednesday the Western Athletic Conference is looking elsewhere in its bid to add more football-playing members:

“(Western Athletic Conference commissioner) Karl (Benson) and I talk on a consistent basis. I think what occurred there with them, with the Mountain West deciding not to expand further, it gave them an opportunity to take a deep breath and assess their situation.

“In my conversations with Karl, I have not heard Lamar or Sam Houston State mentioned as primary targets. I think their intention is to go after current FBS programs. Like I’ve said before, that could all change tomorrow.[/quote]

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/utsa/2011/02/lamar-shs-not-primary-wac-targets/

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cards R Us
How awful is it when the Southland Conference Commissioner is quoted calling Lamar 'just another number':

“But I think they’ve (the WAC conference) gone from being on the edge of the cliff, where they were really looking to add anybody they could just to exist, to now they have a moment here – who knows how long that will be – to try to enhance their conference.  That’s the position you want to be, enhancing your league instead of just adding numbers to add them.”

Guest Cards R Us
[quote name="JJWooten" post="963784" timestamp="1297296275"]
This article is padded with lies, along with the SLC commish. Think about it, if Lamar and SHSU weren't targets, why would Benson be in talks with the SLC?

[/quote]

Benson's conversations with the SLC commish couldn't have anything to do with the fact that two Southland schools would be heading to the WAC in 2012?  NAHHHHHHH, that's too obvious.  Let's let the speculation continue!!!!!!!!

I would pretty much guarantee that the WAC Commish would not be allowed to say anything in regards to possible talks with LU to the SLC Commish.  That would open the WAC up to potential legal liability.  Think about it, next year will be the last for UTSA and San Marcos in the SLC and because of the upcoming move I believe they have already been told they will not be eligible for conference championships.

As I posed on KatFans...

Which FBS schools? It should not be hard to figure out at this time. They are likely eying schools in the Sun Belt's far west - North Texas, Arkansas State and Louisiana-Lafayette. Why would any of those schools even bother?

Karl's primary targets are in the Southland and Big Sky. Those are the only options for football schools. I just have a hard time seeing any of those SBC schools leaving for the WAC. They've been through the "Big West" experience and it was not pleasant for them. Nor would the WAC...

[quote name="JJWooten" post="963784" timestamp="1297296275"]This article is padded with lies, along with the SLC commish. Think about it, if Lamar and SHSU weren't targets, why would Benson be in talks with the SLC?[/quote]

Conference commissioners always talk and both Benson, Burnett have been around conference offices for some time. That does not surprise me...

[quote name="Bearkat25" post="963877" timestamp="1297308579"]
I guess the Lamar fans are taking the news pretty hard. No posters...
[/quote]

I don't think it was a secret that the WAC prefers schools that already play on the FBS level.

Moving up might work for Lamar.  Lamar has the Golden Triangle to pull fans from.  What, some 250,000 potential fans?  Sam does not have those kind of numbers.  I just do not see the economics being there for Sam.  So, I doubt that Sam would be interested, nor that the WAC would be interested in Sam.  If it turns out differently, I will be very surprised.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="963879" timestamp="1297308851"]
[quote author=Bearkat25 link=topic=80070.msg963877#msg963877 date=1297308579]
I guess the Lamar fans are taking the news [u][b]pretty hard[/b][/u]. No posters...
[/quote]

Okay.

Lamar to the WAC, done deal. ;)
[/quote]
WOW that was close, THANKS Aggies!  ;)  I was taking it pretty hard.  NOT!!  ::)

From reading the WAC forum it appears that the California schools (like Cal Poly and others) don't have the money to make the move up.  No Sun Belt schools want to leave for the WAC.  The WAC needs 8 football schools so they can get a piece of the BCS pie.  Lamar likes to do things secretly and needs to get their ducks in a row before making this sort of commitment.  Benson doesn't need the embarrassment of getting rejected publicly by schools again.  All this adds up to Lamar and the WAC making the big announcement in the next month or two.

I guess the big question is can Lamar afford the WAC?  The athletic budget for the current year is $11.5 million.  Next year it should be over $12 million.  If Lamar joins the WAC for 2012 and they have a FBS schedule then they should have a budget of at least $14 million.  Pretty low for a FBS school but enough to get by in the WAC.    With those number would Dr. Simmons say yes to the WAC?

Let's keep this ridiculous idea alive...somebody start a Lamar to the WAC website. Why is it so important for LU's success that the football team be an FBS program? Did having a FCS football program weaken the appeal of Appalachian State, Villanova, Montana State, Lehigh, Northern Iowa, Southeast Missouri State, etc. to prospective students and community supporters?

We just were able to bring football back to campus. Why is there a need to make a move before success is achieved at the current level? Was bringing football back not a success in itself? Will the current enthusiasm for the program still exist if the program encounters a losing trend?

If the school is looking to improve its marketability, why not find a niche that separates itself from other Texas institutions. Make LU a destination because athletics is a powerhouse in its division, with success for all its programs. Have a campus that motivates its students to stay on or around it. Provide a surrounding neighborhood that is safe for students, has a plethora of residential and recreation options for its students and is appealing for commercial business to invest in.

I am not against a future move, but I read posts which seem to focus on the idea that being a FBS school is integral to the success of the University. It's not. Let's learn to walk before we run. Let's create a University and Athletic Department that is successful at one level before moving to the next. Let's be grateful we have football back and cherish the opportunity to build a program that will not ever be on the chopping block again.

[quote name="Citizen Kane" post="963909" timestamp="1297312094"]
Let's keep this ridiculous idea alive...somebody start a Lamar to the WAC website. Why is it so important for LU's success that the football team be an FBS program? Did having a FCS football program weaken the appeal of Appalachian State, Villanova, Montana State, Lehigh, Northern Iowa, Southeast Missouri State, etc. to prospective students and community supporters?

We just were able to bring football back to campus. Why is there a need to make a move before success is achieved at the current level? Was bringing football back not a success in itself? Will the current enthusiasm for the program still exist if the program encounters a losing trend?

If the school is looking to improve its marketability, why not find a niche that separates itself from other Texas institutions. Make LU a destination because athletics is a powerhouse in its division, with success for all its programs. Have a campus that motivates its students to stay on or around it. Provide a surrounding neighborhood that is safe for students, has a plethora of residential and recreation options for its students and is appealing for commercial business to invest in.

I am not against a future move, but I read posts which seem to focus on the idea that being a FBS school is integral to the success of the University. It's not. Let's learn to walk before we run. Let's create a University and Athletic Department that is successful at one level before moving to the next. Let's be grateful we have football back and cherish the opportunity to build a program that will not ever be on the chopping block again.
[/quote]

tread carefully...sanity and reason will get you call an idiot and..GOD fobid..a typical SE Texan (i think thats how 'unlv' phrases it)

I find it funny with everyone going back and forth with the FBS FCS talk.  Lamar is FCS and wanting to go FBS, if Lamar would have never left the Sun Belt we would be in the same boat as South Alabama and no one on this board would be complaining about Lamar being FBS and want them to drop down to FCS!!

Like a posted on katfans, if you guys go we will follow you. We will not let Txst and Lamar go FBS and us stay FCS. Why would we? In our capital campaign we raised over 61 million dollars in four years in a down economy so money isn't as big of a deal as some may think. If there is a reason to get behind something our alums will pony up the cash. (By the way the goal was 50 miilion in five years) I think our two schools are joined at the hip. Unfortunately, I think Lamar is driving this whole thing. You guys want to jump a lot more than we do. If Lamar wants to go bad enough the Lamar University "big wigs" will make it happen. Yall will jump and (by default) so will we.

[quote name="Javelina" post="963930" timestamp="1297315968"]
I find it funny with everyone going back and forth with the FBS FCS talk.  Lamar is FCS and wanting to go FBS, if Lamar would have never left the Sun Belt we would be in the same boat as South Alabama and no one on this board would be complaining about Lamar being FBS and want them to drop down to FCS!!
[/quote]

If Dr. Simmons would have become president a few years earlier then I bet Lamar would still be in the Sun Belt.  I still say getting to a FBS conference has been his and Tubbs goal since they got here.  Since the Sun Belt has no openings then the WAC will do for now.

[quote name="Bearkat25" post="963956" timestamp="1297345400"]
Like a posted on katfans, if you guys go we will follow you. We will not let Txst and Lamar go FBS and us stay FCS. Why would we? In our capital campaign we raised over 61 million dollars in four years in a down economy so money isn't as big of a deal as some may think. If there is a reason to get behind something our alums will pony up the cash. (By the way the goal was 50 miilion in five years) I think our two schools are joined at the hip. Unfortunately, I think Lamar is driving this whole thing. You guys want to jump a lot more than we do. If Lamar wants to go bad enough the Lamar University "big wigs" will make it happen. Yall will jump and (by default) so will we.
[/quote]According to katfans, Lamar will be jumping off a cliff if we go FBS. Are you saying SHSU will jump off a cliff if LU jumps?:
Sounds brainless to me a school not being able to think for itself. SHSU, Lamar's shadow. I mean think about, SHSU can't move on issues until Lamar decides. LOL, losers.

[quote][quote name="UNLV" post="964013" timestamp="1297351537"]
[quote author=Bearkat25 link=topic=80070.msg963956#msg963956 date=1297345400]
[/quote]According to katfans, Lamar will be jumping off a cliff if we go FBS. Are you saying SHSU will jump off a cliff if LU jumps?:
Sounds brainless to me a school not being able to think for itself. SHSU, Lamar's shadow. I mean think about, SHSU can't move on issues until Lamar decides. LOL, losers.
[/quote][/quote]

Wow! You missed it! Let me simplify it for you UNLV:
We (SHSU) would prefer to stay where we are but we may have to adjust our plans. Our plans are contingent upon potential movements in the FBS and schools in our conference ( and yes, this includes Lamar).

[quote name="Bearkat25" post="964033" timestamp="1297353296"]
[quote][quote author=UNLV link=topic=80070.msg964013#msg964013 date=1297351537]
[quote author=Bearkat25 link=topic=80070.msg963956#msg963956 date=1297345400]
[/quote][/quote]

Wow! You missed it! Let me simplify it for you UNLV:
For everyone else: We (SHSU) would prefer to stay but may have to adjust our plans contingent upon potential movements in the FBS (Lamar included).

[/quote]If you prefer to stay FCS, STAY FCS. Do what is best for SHSU. You don't see Lamar letting SHSU lead it around.

Why Lamar?  Why not say 'if TX st goes FBS, then SHSU will go. Why link yourself to Lamar. You have more in common with TX st.
Lamar played football at the highest level, Tx st has not. Lamar use to be in the Sunbelt, Tx st did not. Lamar is just moving back to a level it was before, Tx st is in new territory. Why not SHSU go attach itself to TX st jock. Get off ours, creepy.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont

• Meh..... this is a mess.  As I've often pointed out, I felt that the prosecutions of Trump in NYC (hush money and business valuation fraud) were a big stretch, unwarranted, and likely an abuse of power.   And I kinda feel like Hunter Biden got screwed here, too.   He's basically in trouble for lying on an application to buy a firearm... he denied that he was actively using drugs when he made the purchase.  He owned the firearm for 11 days, committed no crimes with it, then it was disposed of by a third party.  The only reason he was investigated and prosecuted is because he's Biden's son.    Anybody gloating today is no different than the people who were gloating over Trump's 34 convictions a couple of weeks ago.  We ARE a banana republic at this point.  This division won't stand for long.  We can't keep going down this road of "well, they did that to my guy, so we're going to do this to their guy" way of thinking.  God bless the America... she needs it.  
    • They are getting this trial over with and any other trials that face him in the future so Joe can pardon him before he leaves.
    • PNG got them a ball coach… If the kids buy in they will go to state in 2-3 years.
    • That’s no answer. Michael Savage makes a lot of money lying to the likes of you. He’s a propagandist, not a journalist.
  • Topics