CLASH OF THE TITANS II Silsbee at HJ

BADSANTA

[quote name="stevenash" post="959724" timestamp="1296664390"]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=79482.msg959650#msg959650 date=1296659816]
[quote author=tigerpride81 link=topic=79482.msg959085#msg959085 date=1296607690]
The new district policy of playing both boys and girls at same venue is tolerable except for the HJ and Silsbee matchup.  Rather than help with fan attendance, it only hurts ... the schools are loosing valuable gate ($$$$$) revenue on the both the boys & girls side as both schools turn out their fans.  Also, fans loose out by being locked out ... absurd that the district's UIL committee would have concocted such a plan without considering all the consequences.
[/quote]What does the boys and girls at the same venue have anything to do with the packed house?
[/quote]

Looks to me like his concern is possible lost revenue for the schools.  He didn't say anything about the packed house. 
[/quote]Well, the packed house was implied because he referenced the "HJ - Silsbee" game.

But where is the lost revenue?  The girls game can not be paying for themselves when you consider the extra busing, the elcectricity, the referees, and all the other costs just so that the girls parents can watch a game.

No, I think the benefits far outweigh any non-existent lost revenue.  Our girls played in front of a packed house last night.  Good for them!!!!  8)

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="959757" timestamp="1296665872"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=79482.msg959724#msg959724 date=1296664390]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=79482.msg959650#msg959650 date=1296659816]
[quote author=tigerpride81 link=topic=79482.msg959085#msg959085 date=1296607690]
The new district policy of playing both boys and girls at same venue is tolerable except for the HJ and Silsbee matchup.  Rather than help with fan attendance, it only hurts ... the schools are loosing valuable gate ($$$$$) revenue on the both the boys & girls side as both schools turn out their fans.  Also, fans loose out by being locked out ... absurd that the district's UIL committee would have concocted such a plan without considering all the consequences.
[/quote]What does the boys and girls at the same venue have anything to do with the packed house?
[/quote]

Looks to me like his concern is possible lost revenue for the schools.  He didn't say anything about the packed house. 
[/quote]Well, the packed house was implied because he referenced the "HJ - Silsbee" game.

But where is the lost revenue?  The girls game can not be paying for themselves when you consider the extra busing, the elcectricity, the referees, and all the other costs just so that the girls parents can watch a game.

No, I think the benefits far outweigh any non-existent lost revenue.  Our girls played in front of a packed house last night.  Good for them!!!!  8)
[/quote]

My guess is that he meant this:  At each of these two games, people were turned away at both gyms not to mention how many decided not to go because they knew how difficult it would be to get in.  He probably theorized that those who watched the girls could have easily been replaced with those who were either turned away or didnt go due to attendance conditions.  I suppose that, additionally, you would need to consider potential additional concession stand revenues, etc.  He probably  believes that more total people are willing to attend one of two, four hour venues as opposed to a single 6 hour venue.  He probably also believes that the referee costs are the same whether at one location or two. He could additionally believe that the TOTAL (both schools combined) cost of sending all of the teams from Silsbee to HJ is no greater than sending half of the teams from HJ to Silsbee and the other half from Silsbee to HJ over a home and home series.

[quote name="stevenash" post="959794" timestamp="1296667435"]
My guess is that he meant this:  At each of these two games, people were turned away at both gyms not to mention how many decided not to go because they knew how difficult it would be to get in.  He probably theorized that those who watched the girls could have easily been replaced with those who were either turned away or didnt go due to attendance conditions.  I suppose that, additionally, you would need to consider potential additional concession stand revenues, etc.  He probably  believes that more total people are willing to attend one of two, four hour venues as opposed to a single 6 hour venue.  He probably also believes that the referee costs are the same whether at one location or two. He could additionally believe that the TOTAL (both schools combined) cost of sending all of the teams from Silsbee to HJ is no greater than sending half of the teams from HJ to Silsbee and the other half from Silsbee to HJ over a home and home series.
[/quote]That's a might big assumption of "what he may have meant".  ;)

Referees cost less.... no additional mileage.  Add to that lights, janitorial staff, and all, and I think that he may have meant that its wonderful for the girls to get to play in front of people other than their parents.

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="959867" timestamp="1296671623"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=79482.msg959822#msg959822 date=1296668622]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=79482.msg959821#msg959821 date=1296668554]
What was attendance for HJ @ Silsbee?? 
[/quote]

[/quote]

Seriously!!!!!!
[/quote]

1582, officially.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="959879" timestamp="1296672029"]
[quote author=LAZEEK link=topic=79482.msg959867#msg959867 date=1296671623]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Seriously!!!!!!
[/quote]

1582, officially.
[/quote]So how did the 15,758 unofficially get in?  Did someone leave the backdoor unlocked?

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="959885" timestamp="1296672289"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=79482.msg959879#msg959879 date=1296672029]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Seriously!!!!!!
[/quote]

1582, officially.
[/quote]So how did the 15,758 unofficially get in?  Did someone leave the backdoor unlocked?
[/quote]

That's how many watched it on the closed-circuit screens in the auditorium, adjacent gym, cafeteria, football stadium and school library. ;D

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="959889" timestamp="1296672519"]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=79482.msg959885#msg959885 date=1296672289]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=79482.msg959879#msg959879 date=1296672029]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Seriously!!!!!!
[/quote]

1582, officially.
[/quote]

That's how many watched it on the closed-circuit screens in the auditorium, adjacent gym, cafeteria, football stadium and school library. ;D
[/quote]Ahhhh...... you forgot about the special feed at Texas Stadium.  Jerry Jones brought in free Domino's Pizza to go along with his $15.00 beers!

Make that 117,340 watched the game.

Note: MSNBC tried to televise it but had difficulty.  That would have made the number 117,341.  ;)

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="959865" timestamp="1296671497"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=79482.msg959794#msg959794 date=1296667435]
[/quote]That's a might big assumption of "what he may have meant".  ;)

Referees cost less.... no additional mileage.  Add to that lights, janitorial staff, and all, and I think that he may have meant that its wonderful for the girls to get to play in front of people other than their parents.
[/quote]

Not a big assumption at all- he mentioned nothing of the girls or the fact that they got to play in front of a packed house.  If you go back in the thread, you will find these words by him

"The new district policy of playing both boys and girls at same venue is tolerable except for the HJ and Silsbee matchup.  Rather than help with fan attendance, it only hurts ... the schools are loosing valuable gate ($$$$$) revenue on the both the boys & girls side as both schools turn out their fans.  Also, fans loose out by being locked out ... absurd that the district's UIL committee would have concocted such a plan without considering all the consequences."

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="959865" timestamp="1296671497"]
My guess is that he meant this:  At each of these two games, people were turned away at both gyms not to mention how many decided not to go because they knew how difficult it would be to get in.  He probably theorized that those who watched the girls could have easily been replaced with those who were either turned away or didnt go due to attendance conditions.  I suppose that, additionally, you would need to consider potential additional concession stand revenues, etc.  He probably  believes that more total people are willing to attend one of two, four hour venues as opposed to a single 6 hour venue.  He probably also believes that the referee costs are the same whether at one location or two. He could additionally believe that the TOTAL (both schools combined) cost of sending all of the teams from Silsbee to HJ is no greater than sending half of the teams from HJ to Silsbee and the other half from Silsbee to HJ over a home and home series.
[/quote]That's a might big assumption of "what he may have meant".  ;)

Referees cost less.... no additional mileage.  Add to that lights, janitorial staff, and all, and I think that he may have meant that its wonderful for the girls to get to play in front of people other than their parents.
[/quote]

While I know nothing of the costs of referees, I had concluded that the cost of each referee (per game) is the same regardless of how many referees are involved.( one ref doing four games would have the same total cost as four refs doing one game)  If the referees give volume discounts, then I obviously was wrong.  If they get mileage, its hard for me to believe that there is more than a slight difference between the travel costs to Silsbee as compared to Sour Lake.  Also, I have PMd the originator of the post(of which we speak) to see if I  have inadvertently misassumed) and will PM you his reply if I get one.  Its 9:38 pm and he just responded telling me I interpreted his post properly

[quote name="stevenash" post="959962" timestamp="1296675668"]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=79482.msg959865#msg959865 date=1296671497]
My guess is that he meant this:  At each of these two games, people were turned away at both gyms not to mention how many decided not to go because they knew how difficult it would be to get in.  He probably theorized that those who watched the girls could have easily been replaced with those who were either turned away or didnt go due to attendance conditions.  I suppose that, additionally, you would need to consider potential additional concession stand revenues, etc.  He probably  believes that more total people are willing to attend one of two, four hour venues as opposed to a single 6 hour venue.  He probably also believes that the referee costs are the same whether at one location or two. He could additionally believe that the TOTAL (both schools combined) cost of sending all of the teams from Silsbee to HJ is no greater than sending half of the teams from HJ to Silsbee and the other half from Silsbee to HJ over a home and home series.

Referees cost less.... no additional mileage.  Add to that lights, janitorial staff, and all, and I think that he may have meant that its wonderful for the girls to get to play in front of people other than their parents.
[/quote]

While I know nothing of the costs of referees, I had concluded that the cost of each referee (per game) is the same regardless of how many referees are involved.( one ref doing four games would have the same total cost as four refs doing one game)  If the referees give volume discounts, then I obviously was wrong.  If they get mileage, its hard for me to believe that there is more than a slight difference between the travel costs to Silsbee as compared to Sour Lake.  Also, I have PMd the originator of the post(of which we speak) to see if I  have inadvertently misassumed) and will PM you his reply if I get one.  Its 9:38 pm and he just responded telling me I interpreted his post properly
[/quote]I don't know of volume discounts.  But I often see two referee groups at a boys "night" - 1 set for freshman and JV and 1 set for Varsity.  Now, I assume that neither of these groups handled the girls game  ;), then that would make a 3rd set (and a 4th if the girls handle two groups like the boys... I don't know).  How many groups were used last night?

Also, the girls gym was dark last night - meaning no electricity, no janitorial overtime.

One final thing - What about parents that have boys and girls playing.  This gives them the chance to finally see both their kids play!

.... maybe that's what he meant!  :D

[quote name="LAZEEK" post="960367" timestamp="1296705207"]
Actually last night the Girls Varsity and Boys Varsity had the same 3 man crew!!!!!
[/quote]Yes they did.  But that may have been because they didn't have to cross half-court very often during the girls game.  They were well-rested.  ;)

But the boys JV used a different set, didn't they?

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="960365" timestamp="1296705152"]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=79482.msg959962#msg959962 date=1296675668]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=79482.msg959865#msg959865 date=1296671497]

[/quote]

[/quote]I don't know of volume discounts.  But I often see two referee groups at a boys "night" - 1 set for freshman and JV and 1 set for Varsity.  Now, I assume that neither of these groups handled the girls game  ;), then that would make a 3rd set (and a 4th if the girls handle two groups like the boys... I don't know).  How many groups were used last night?

Also, the girls gym was dark last night - meaning no electricity, no janitorial overtime.

One final thing - What about parents that have boys and girls playing.  This gives them the chance to finally see both their kids play!

[/quote]
Wasn't there a freshman gamein the girls gym.  so at least 1 more set of refs and some of that extra cost. 

[quote name="ST413" post="960422" timestamp="1296710531"]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=79482.msg960365#msg960365 date=1296705152]
[quote author=stevenash link=topic=79482.msg959962#msg959962 date=1296675668]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Wasn't there a freshman gamein the girls gym.  so at least 1 more set of refs and some of that extra cost. 
[/quote]Which probably meant 3 crews. 

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="959624" timestamp="1296658318"]
Since HJ's barn only holds 1100 people, I know for a fact over 500 people were locked out. HJ should move the Silsbee game they host over to Lamar. That gym is so small I can reach out with both hands and touch both baselines! By looking at the news highlight, I thought they played this game at the YMCA.
[/quote]

People were locked out of both gyms. The difference was at HJ they allowed someone inside when another person left. At Silsbee they did for a short time and then stopped. The people waiting outside were told they would let in when someone left. More than 30 left without additional being let inside. Many waited until the 3rd quarter based on the information they were given from the people at the gate.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kinghoyn
    Newest Member
    kinghoyn