Nederland’s Ben Jones will play for McNeese

[quote]"He felt like (McNeese) was more sports-oriented,” Jones said. “He’s really enthusiastic about it and looking forward to playing there.”[/quote]

Ouch. Lamar's tailgating (from pictures) looked like it was better than most of the SLC. I guess he wanted a campus where people stayed at school during the weekends instead of going home

Wish the young man a successful career at McNeese but Coach Woodard has verbals from HS O-lineman rated ahead of Jones.

I have a niece attending Lamar along with her boyfriend and they told me most of the people stayed on campus during football season.

I guess your comment about students staying on campus is the reason he wasn't even looking at SHSU.

[quote name="bigred360" post="957230" timestamp="1296318831"]
Wish the young man a successful career at McNeese but Coach Woodard has verbals from HS O-lineman rated ahead of Jones.

I have a niece attending Lamar along with her boyfriend and they told me most of the people stayed on campus during football season.

I guess your comment about students staying on campus is the reason he wasn't even looking at SHSU.
[/quote]

Well if he was looking at SFA, he shouldn't peak to hard there either, they're just as bad.

JJWooten.  I am not sure what you are talking about as far as students not staying on campus during the weekend.  I played golf at Lamar fairly recently and ALL of the athletes stay on campus every weekend.  And as most others school are athletes all hang out with other athletes.  There are fraternity parties nearly every weekend.  Many of the others students live within 20 miles of campus so all of the students go out in the same places.  So while you think you know what happens at Lamar..............I hate to burst your bubble but you don't!

Well said Sleepy...JJWooten please do not try to drag LU down to SHSU's level. You obviously have not been to Lamar's campus in a while. That being said, I have to admit that I have never been to the sticks to see SHSU.

I wish the best for Ben Jones, but I honestly can't see how anyone can pick McNeese over Lamar when comparing facilities. I was surprised to see the shape of Cowboy staduium last year. McNeese does have a great fan base and fans with character and a history of winning teams.

[quote name="sleepy" post="957867" timestamp="1296480294"]
JJWooten.  I am not sure what you are talking about as far as students not staying on campus during the weekend.  I played golf at Lamar fairly recently and ALL of the athletes stay on campus every weekend.  And as most others school are athletes all hang out with other athletes.  There are fraternity parties nearly every weekend.  Many of the others students live within 20 miles of campus so all of the students go out in the same places.  So while you think you know what happens at Lamar..............I hate to burst your bubble but you don't!
[/quote]

Wasn't talking about the athletes, I was talking about the student population in general.

[quote name="JJWooten" post="957993" timestamp="1296496009"]
[quote author=sleepy link=topic=79467.msg957867#msg957867 date=1296480294]
[/quote]

Wasn't talking about the athletes, I was talking about the student population in general.
[/quote]

4000 students within a mile of campus, you honestly know nothing about this topic. I'm a CURRENT student.

[quote name="JJWooten" post="957993" timestamp="1296496009"]
[quote author=sleepy link=topic=79467.msg957867#msg957867 date=1296480294]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Exactly my point when I say you don't know what is going on.  There are many students who are not athletes who stay on campus at Lamar every weekend.  Throw in the several thousand students that live in surrounding areas and you have most of the campus partying on the weekends.  However, when you are recruited to a University you meet the some of the athletes on your particular athletic team and generally meet several other athletes because they all live in the same area.  When you become an athlete at Lamar and any other University the Athletes are like their own fraternity.  They have classes together, hang out, throw parties together, and so on and so on.  My point is you are saying a kid would not come to Lamar because students don't stay there on the weekend.  I am telling you that you are wrong.  There was something to do every single weekend at Lamar as an athlete.........whether it was our own party or a fraternity party or anything else.  Those are just facts.

[quote name="77" post="960116" timestamp="1296684559"]
McNeese will complete a brand new fieldhouse and weight facility this summer its looking good.
[/quote]
Hopefully they put a lock on their new fieldhouse. Lamar football players had money, phones, & mp3 players stolen after halftime during their game at McNeese.

Could someone please explain to me how Lamar is a better choice than McNeese? Every situation is different - unless you're Ben, you can't say Lamar was a better choice.

Taking into account all things football, I'd have a hard time taking LU over MSU. That whole tradition of conference championships, playoff appearances/runs, perennial top 20 ranking, and so on must be clouding my thought process.

[quote name="meat" post="960302" timestamp="1296702112"]
Could someone please explain to me how Lamar is a better choice than McNeese? Every situation is different - unless you're Ben, you can't say Lamar was a better choice.

Taking into account all things football, I'd have a hard time taking LU over MSU. That whole tradition of conference championships, playoff appearances/runs, perennial top 20 ranking, and so on must be clouding my thought process.
[/quote]

It is a personal opinion. Like you said, different recruits will take different aspects of each university into account.

However, you are on a Lamar fans message board. So do you think the majority of us will approve of Jones choosing McNeese?

Doubtful.

That's an easy one, meat.
1. Closer to home
2. Nicer facilities
3. Chance to start something great. And not worry about living in other players shadows.
4. Better relationship with potential players and coaches (obviously not the case here but for lots of others it was. )
5. Potential to play in a FBS. If we might go wac.
6. It feels right. Don't know how many players on signing day said that on espn. "I just went with my heart"
7. Better academics in certain subjects.
8. Might have a chance to play right away.
There's a few reasons right there...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83