ATTENTION PREZ SIMMONS AND AD TIDWELL.......

Lazeek

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="JJWooten" post="947691" timestamp="1294960995"]
[quote author=88Warrior link=topic=78663.msg947629#msg947629 date=1294954008]
I gave up going to LU games two years ago.....what a waste of the last few years....  :(
[/quote]

Crucify this t-shirt fan, how dare you!

[/quote] Proud alum.....but my time and money will not be wasted watching Roc get out coached....

Guest Breakercoach
[quote name="LAZEEK" post="947849" timestamp="1294977595"]
I don't drink anymore and have not had a drink in about 3 years but almost pulled into Thirsty's last night to drink my misery away!!!!!!
[/quote]

Lazeek,

My apologies for ribbing you the other day ! Attended the game and I wanted a refund !

I am a proud LU alum - and only want the best for our once proud basketball program - but honestly, why would Gillespie want to come here?  There is virtually no exposure in the Southland Conference.  The best coach in the Souhtland left for a job in the Sun Belt!  There are going to be jobs - higer profile than Lamar's - open after this season.  I know he wants to coach in Texas, but . . . probably not at Lamar.

I would definitely call him, but I wouldn't put a lot of eggs in that basket.

[quote name="Ruckdad" post="947993" timestamp="1295018408"]
I am a proud LU alum - and only want the best for our once proud basketball program - but honestly, why would Gillespie want to come here?  There is virtually no exposure in the Southland Conference.  The best coach in the Souhtland left for a job in the Sun Belt!  There are going to be jobs - higer profile than Lamar's - open after this season.  I know he wants to coach in Texas, but . . . probably not at Lamar.

I would definitely call him, but I wouldn't put a lot of eggs in that basket.
[/quote]

He didn't get the job at Houston, shoot, James Dickey got it. I bet Coop knows more to that story (like if he pulled his name out of consideration), but he really hasn't been considered for many jobs. And all I remember hearing about how BCG loves coaching...

If he came in and turned around this program, it would be a great stepping stone for him to move up to a bigger job.

[quote name="badndn" post="947991" timestamp="1295018212"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=78663.msg947615#msg947615 date=1294952341]
I heard Skelton wanted to get back to Mississippi. Do you think he'd want to come back to Lamar?
[/quote]
You think a DI job would pay better than a JC in Miss?
[/quote]

No doubt a DI job would pay better but the man has a family. His parents and his wifes parents live in Mississippi. He has school age kids. Is he willing to move them again? Most of their relatives and friends live in Mississippi.

So, there is more things than money for a decision to return to Texas for the Head Coaching duties if he was offerred the job. If it is just money, than yes I think he'd take it in a heartbeat.

My understanding was that he left Lamar in large part due to philosophical differences with his boss??? But I am sure some of you that are closer to the program would have better insight.

What ever reason he went back to Miss, I still would have him high on my list and find out what it would take to convince him within reason. I liked the guy as a coach and my two favorite LU players from the past 15-20 years (Sanders and Nabors) where his guys which tells me he recruits well and both were high character guys, team leaders and fan friendly. Todd was good as well.

Sleepy, AB if we're not able to get a better candidate might be better prepared for a Head Coaching position at age 50. He has been at UH, Texas Tech, UTEP, North Texas, A&M, Kentucky and back at Houston. I'm sure he has learned a lot since 1998, his last year as Head Coach at Houston.

There would need to be a couple of assistants to help him get the program off the ground. One a good X's and O's man and a good recruiter which could come from getting his son here from SHSU.

Here is the young Brooks bio.

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=204951467

One thing positive for LU with Roc is that this is where he wanted to coach so maybe it is not just a stepping stone job and if he grows as a coach and learns how to manage a game then maybe Lamar wouldn't be in the position of having to find another coach every 3 or 4 years.  Guarantee that if a BCG came to LU that is about how long he would stay.

[quote name="geezer" post="949568" timestamp="1295231058"]
One thing positive for LU with Roc is that this is where he wanted to coach so maybe it is not just a stepping stone job and if he grows as a coach and learns how to manage a game then maybe Lamar wouldn't be in the position of having to find another coach every 3 or 4 years.  Guarantee that if a BCG came to LU that is about how long he would stay.
[/quote]

No way to tell for sure, but my guess is that LU would not be mediocre after 3-4 years of BCG like they have been under ROC!!!

Folks are saying BCG would not come to Lamar because of SLC. But if the WAC is in the cards(no pun intended ;D) for LU, I can see Lamar getting this type coach to run the basketball program for at least a minimum of 5-6 years.

The success of the football team (the dollars that it can generate) would help in getting a coach like BCG.

Was not implying that BCG couldn't get LU out of mediocracy only that in 3 to 4 years we would be hunting for another coach.  Let's see and I am not saying I want to go down this path but LU had Jack Martin with up and down teams in a no name conference for maybe three decades then LU had Tubbs for what 3-5 years followed by Foster for 3-5 years and then the decline began.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kofajas476
    Newest Member
    kofajas476