What makes a good Basketball Coach?

Guest Two-Dogs...

Guest Two-Dogs...
What are the qualities that make a basketball coach successful at the high school level? It would seem that coaching can over time make a tremendous difference in a teams success or failure. What is it about those out there that have successful teams year in and year out that the others either don't have or just don't understand? Some will say talent level of the players yet if that were true we wouldn''t see the same schools successful year in and year out while we see others struggle consistently.

I happen to believe coaching is much more important in the sport of basketball than almost any other sport. I can point to Ozen and it's fall from dominance over the last three years since Boutte left and even though the jury may still be out on this on I can also point to Vidor and their rise to become more competitive over the last couple of years with Quinn at the helm.

Comments?

A good coach can motivate his players to get the most out of them. And has a good knowledge of what offensive and defensive strategies that his players will perform best and will put them in the best position to win. Then lastly be able to make in game adjustments to stop what other teams are doing successfully against him and fix what isn't working for his team. Throw in good clock management and the ability to connect with players off the floor to help teach them valuable life lessons and you have the perfect coach.

Realize as well, that the more successful a program becomes the more good players gravitate toward that program.  We discussed this in a thread the other day. There are too many factors to determine if a coach is good or not.
The most telling sign is if a program has not won in many years and a coach comes to that school and stays awhile (5-15 years) and builds the program up to where they win year in and year out.
Mostly at the present, coaching is graded on whether the kids play hard or not and under contol.  It is a difference of opinion.  I have heard one guy claim a coach was the next Bobby Knight and the next run him in the ground.  It depends on what each person thinks.
If someone that understands the game of basketball, they can tell if a coach is good or not or if he is average or if he is poor.
The one thing you can not argue with is a coach who comes into a program that has not won and starts a winning tradition, he is either very lucky or very good.  It is also hard to sustain winning at a program that is already winning, although you will get a little  more help than the program that is in the dumps.  At least you have community, fans, most parents, admin, and some programs have good players come into it.
That is a million dollar question.  Alot of opinions as well.

Wins doesen't neccessarly constitute a good coach. Is the coach really interested in the well being of the player?.........what kind of talent does he have to work with?.....does he make a difference in the kids life?....when the kid is grown,(in most cases) can he look back and praise his or her coach?  Wins matter, but it goes much deeper.......

Guest Two-Dogs...
Rephrase - Why can some coaches continue to win and have winning teams with different talent each year while others continue to march through mediocrity no matter what kind of talent comes through?

[quote name="Go-rilla" post="943206" timestamp="1294322358"]
Wins!!!!
Quit Lying about all that other stuff...
Nobody sees an 0-20 coach and thinks "man what a coach".
Lets be honest, and quit being nice.
[/quote]0-20 will get you canned if you keek it up...lol...

following that logic then you should sch. easy W's my friend. ... and youre prob one of the first to criticize a coach for an "easy" sch.  --- its not about record -- the record will take care of itself if you do things the right way . what is the " right way"? well that is a secret for another day.

[quote name="snooker" post="943315" timestamp="1294331098"]
following that logic then you should sch. easy W's my friend. ... and youre prob one of the first to criticize a coach for an "easy" sch.  --- its not about record -- the record will take care of itself if you do things the right way . what is the " right way"? well that is a secret for another day.
[/quote]And you allow another lazy coach (collecting checks) to continue on another year.

Some people think it’s simple..but it’s not….

The LOVE FOR HIS OR HER SPORT would have to be the first thing.  A coach motivates his team by keeping the Love of the game exciting.  They prepare them mentally and physically.  They also demand Respect and therefore it flows over to their teammates, officials and etc.  A good coach goes over team strategy as well as fundamentals.  They watch film and encourage.  And let’s don’t forget about the Adjustments that a team needs to make during a game.  A great coach knows how to make those necessary adjustments and have that winning program.

There have been some really good coaches in our area and one I think you need to keep your eye on is Quinn at Vidor.  I’ve seen him coach for the past 6 or 8 years and he’s got that something special that rates him as one of the top coaches in the area.  He developed a nice program at WOS and once again has proved himself at Vidor.  He’s 19-1 right now but sits in the seat as the upset team of the district.

Anyone can coach a great group of athletes, but if you are lacking that something special, you’ll never get them passed the hump. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124