Can running the wishbone out the shotgun formation be effective?

One of the downfalls of that, would be losing the element of surprise on handoffs. Being that far behind the line of scrimmage, it gives the linebackers a better look and more time and space to make a play. But, as yall said, TCU did it. On paper, it seems it wouldnt work, but on TV it did.

[quote name="kicker" post="941426" timestamp="1294071407"]
One of the downfalls of that, would be losing the element of surprise on handoffs. Being that far behind the line of scrimmage, it gives the linebackers a better look and more time and space to make a play. But, as yall said, TCU did it. On paper, it seems it wouldnt work, but on TV it did.
[/quote]too much speed could make it work. those hosses from TCU was moving like their pants were on fire.

I know one HS team that would make it work----LaMarque

[quote name="Scooter!" post="941539" timestamp="1294086928"]
[quote author=kicker link=topic=78153.msg941426#msg941426 date=1294071407]
[/quote]too much speed could make it work. those hosses from TCU was moving like their pants were on fire.

I know one HS team that would make it work----LaMarque
[/quote]

You spelled Barbers Hill wrong........  ;D ;D

Oklahoma State has been very successful using this formation... The Sooners also run it... and TCU...  It's good misdirection and if a D loads up on the run then QB can check off to a one on one passing situation with two split ends.  Just another way to move the ball... I think it's good stuff!

[quote name="jackhammer" post="943275" timestamp="1294327323"]
Oklahoma State has been very successful using this formation... The Sooners also run it... and TCU...  It's good misdirection and if a D loads up on the run then QB can check off to a one on one passing situation with two split ends.  Just another way to move the ball... I think it's good stuff!
[/quote]

which is why you are not a coach and on here talking smack.  Its too predicitable and easy to cover.  Will not work consistantly. 

The diamond formation is different from a wishbone, for 3 reasons.
1) You cannot run a proper triple option out of it, it's a quick shotgun triple option which means the formation has limited viability in a short yardage setting.
2) quick options are easier to see, and the formations movement is easier to see by LB's
3) your running backs start 7 yards back instead of half a yard back so it means they have 7 extra yards to pick-up before they start picking up yards.

It can be done but it's going to primarily be a 2 rb 2 wr set and their will be several flats passing plays out of it, and it's strength is the power option our the power handoff to either side. THIER IS NO FB is this formation.

[quote name="rykerx144" post="943459" timestamp="1294348322"]
[quote author=jackhammer link=topic=78153.msg943275#msg943275 date=1294327323]
[/quote]

which is why you are not a coach and on here talking smack.  Its too predicitable and easy to cover.  Will not work consistantly. 
[/quote]

The formation TCU runs is a shotgun with 3 backs surrounding him their are no split ends.

[quote name="Cougtalk" post="943467" timestamp="1294349159"]
[quote author=rykerx144 link=topic=78153.msg943459#msg943459 date=1294348322]
[/quote]

which is why you are not a coach and on here talking smack.  Its too predicitable and easy to cover.  Will not work consistantly.  
[/quote]

The formation TCU runs is a shotgun with 3 backs surrounding him their are no split ends.
[/quote]

You are right... but TCU also run with two split ends... as does Oklahoma State and Oklahoma...  OSU calls it their DIAMOND formation... OU calls it "BACKS"...    I'm not saying it's the Wishbone in the gun...  BUT you can run the triple option out of the DIAMOND... zone read with the pistol back and one of the half backs as a pitch back  ...  That makes three which is triple option.  Pretty simple Coug...   OKLAHOMA STATE was the top scoring offense in the nation... A lot of big plays with the DIAMOND which is a pistol back and two half backs... split ends or no split ends.

[quote name="jackhammer" post="943524" timestamp="1294356486"]
[quote author=Cougtalk link=topic=78153.msg943467#msg943467 date=1294349159]
[quote author=rykerx144 link=topic=78153.msg943459#msg943459 date=1294348322]
[/quote]

which is why you are not a coach and on here talking smack.  Its too predicitable and easy to cover.  Will not work consistantly.  
[/quote]

[/quote]

You are right... but TCU also run with two split ends... as does Oklahoma State and Oklahoma...  OSU calls it their DIAMOND formation... OU calls it "BACKS"...    I'm not saying it's the Wishbone in the gun...  BUT you can run the triple option out of the DIAMOND... zone read with the pistol back and one of the half backs as a pitch back  ...  That makes three which is triple option.   Pretty simple Coug...   OKLAHOMA STATE was the top scoring offense in the nation... A lot of big plays with the DIAMOND which is a pistol back and two half backs... split ends or no split ends.
[/quote]

I see your logic, but the backs have to be very quick off the snap. Like someone said, you have to get 7 yards before you can get any positive yardage. i see what you are saying about the triple option, seal the outside, and off to the races. i still think smart LB's have an advantage due to them being able to see the play develop faster. Then bring your strong safty up to be a spy on a hot route or a option sweep if your linebackers get contained. With a safty that has speed like earl Thomas, he could get to the perimeter before the backs do. It all depends on who you are playing, and how fast and intellegent their defense is. JMO

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124