Best High School Basketball Game

Mine would have to be the 1972 state semifinal between Dallas Roosevelt and Houston Wheatley. Roosevelt won 111-109 behind Ira Terrell's 45 points. Wheatley was led by Eddie Owens who scored 34. I remember this like yesterday. It was my first ever state tourney and the folks packed in old Gregory gym that they actually had people up on the roof looking down through the windows watching this game. It was unreal!!

Not an Austin moment but the Jasper-Huntington district series in 2005 or 2006.....Clay Davis was at Jasper and Leland Hand was at Huntington...Game 1 we lost over there in three overtimes....game 2 we won at home it was four or five overtimes....I think it was eleven overtimes in a four game series....those were nail biting, high energy games. Game 1, Jasper made two free throws with no time left on clock to send it to OT. End of first OT Huntington hit a half court shot to send it to another OT. If I remember right, Huntington hit another half court shot to send it to the third OT............If it hadn't been for the refs we would have won it in reg...   ;D

The best display of talent and a good game was Bonewitz at State.  They were double teaming him and could not stop him.  He had the quick rocker step and would get the defense off balance and go by them and pull up a jumper.  Great passer too.
The Huntington/Jasper games with all the overtimes (I thought we won all of them, both years, I may be wrong) was a special series and the Woodville 5-3 game.  Both were exciting.

Before my time but I bet it was a good game.  What was so great about the Bonewitz game was that he made so many plays that were almost unbelievable, like the pass he mad between 2 or 3 people as he was falling down backwards and then the pass he made between his legs that the one kid dunked.  SA East Central didnt have anyone over 6'5" that year.  Just a bunch of guards.  The HJ/Troup game at the Huntington Tournament in 92 I believe was a good one as well.  And the kid (I believe from SA Jay) that hit the 3/4 court shot to win the State Championship.  Another good one.  The Peaster kid hitting all 3 ft's to tie the game and send it OT with no time left on the clock in regulation. 

[quote name="east texas bb" post="940138" timestamp="1293769911"]
The best display of talent and a good game was Bonewitz at State.  They were double teaming him and could not stop him.  He had the quick rocker step and would get the defense off balance and go by them and pull up a jumper.  Great passer too.
The Huntington/Jasper games with all the overtimes (I thought we won all of them, both years, I may be wrong) was a special series and the Woodville 5-3 game.  Both were exciting.
[/quote]We went 2-2 with the Jasper games each winning their home games(selective memory etbb.. lol).....The Peaster games was good and the half court shot in the SA Jay game was awesome!

[quote name="no-look" post="940076" timestamp="1293763877"]
Not an Austin moment but the Jasper-Huntington district series in 2005 or 2006.....Clay Davis was at Jasper and Leland Hand was at Huntington...Game 1 we lost over there in three overtimes....game 2 we won at home it was four or five overtimes....I think it was eleven overtimes in a four game series....those were nail biting, high energy games. Game 1, Jasper made two free throws with no time left on clock to send it to OT. End of first OT Huntington hit a half court shot to send it to another OT. If I remember right, Huntington hit another half court shot to send it to the third OT............If it hadn't been for the refs we would have won it in reg...   ;D
[/quote]

And some will say if it hadnt been for the Gestapo, Jtown would have won.  I am pretty sure that Hand made a hole in the floor from  stomping his feet so much. 

A couple of other state tourney games that are instilled in my mind:

1978 4A (now 5A) State championship

San Antonio Fox Tech vs. Houston Wheatley

This was the first year that the Frank Erwin Center hosted the state tourney. This game had one of the biggest coaching blunders of all time, IMO. Fox Tech led 83-82 with 1 second left in game and was at the free throw line shooting 2 shots. Wheatley had no timeouts remaining. Fox Tech player missed the first free throw, then missed the 2nd, and on the rebound a Fox Tech player fouled a Wheatley player as the clock hit :00. Wheatley player promptley made both free throws with no time on clock and Wheatley won the state championship, 84-83. Question, WHY DID THE FOX TECH COACH HAVE HIS PLAYERS LINED UP ON THE LANE?? Why didn't he have them back to avoid fouling on the rebound? This was a big blunder. I was asking my dad why he had them on the lane before the player even shot the free throws. Everyone around us was asking that question. This was before the 3 point shot came into play, so no worries of losing on a lucky, full court shot. I will never understand why the coach played it that way. Lost the game, IMO.

1983 5A State Semifinal

Fort Worth Paschal vs. Houston Yates

Yates came into this game with a college team. Their starting five all signed DI ( 2 of them being Ricky Winslow of UH Phi Slamma Jamma fame, Carvin Holcomb of Baylor). Yates started '6"5, '6"5, '6"6, '6"8 and '6"9, with the '6"8 Winslow running point. Paschal had no player on their team taller than '6"2. It was said during the season that anyone could have coached the Yates team to a state championship with all that talent. Well, Paschal proved that wrong! Paschal was a very disciplined team and their guard play was just too quick and skilled for Yates to control. Paschal won this game by 14. They ended up losing to Bryan in the finals. This game gave me a new found respect for the job of coaching. I would have never believed that Paschal could have beaten that Yates team had I not seen it with my own eyes. Paschal greatly out coached Yates in that game. It was amazing to watch!!

I'll have to get my state program to get the teams but I saw a 1-a semi final a couple of years ago.The team that was leading by 1 and had the ball at mid court just simply needed to inbound the ball and run out the clock.The losing club stole the inbound pass and hit a shot at the buzzer to pull out the win.I was sitting across the aisle from the losing clubs fans they left the drum in shock.I think it was Martins Mill and someone.

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="940327" timestamp="1293825298"]
PA Lincoln vs Austin Anderson. Kris Klack vs Stephen Jackson. PA Lincoln 50 Austin Anderson 49. 1995 Silsbee girls (Stallworth/Mccain) lost to Cleburn. Silsbee was ranked 1 all year and lost a heart breaker to Cleburne.
[/quote]

First of all, the score of the Lincoln/Anderson game was 57-56 and Silsbee girls lost to Canyon, not Cleburn.

And dont get me wrong but Kris Klack was good but he was overrated.  I know he went to UT and played some.  He didnt do much after that, in fact I played against him(and he had a team from the Austin area with a guard from SWTexas  and a crew of D1 players) with my team from the Lufkin and surrounding area and they beat us at the buzzer on a 3 point shot in a Independant Tournament in Lufkin about 5 years back or so.  I had some good height and players (Marlone Jackson-played at Lufkin and Lamar for 4 years 6'9") and Jamie Kendrick (played at Troup and Baylor for 4 years 6'7") and we were surrounded by shooters.  Fun game to play in. 

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="940407" timestamp="1293837249"]
Aggiearewe I have the programs from both games from 1995. Please pull out you Texas Basketball Mag and check out the scores as well.
[/quote]

You might want to retract your previous statement. Click this link:

http://www2.uiltexas.org/athletics/archives/basketball/state/94_95/stateb.html

Lincoln beat Austin anderson 57-56, not 50-49.

You are correct about Cleburn though, I had that year mixed up with '93 when the girls lost to Cedar Hill.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont

• Where were the 8 Omaha teams in D1's preseason top 25 poll... 2. Florida 8. A&M 9. Tennessee 13. N.C.State 14. Virginia 15. North Carolina Kentucky - unranked Florida State - unranked
    • That TDS is really flaring. Now do Biden. You have way, way, way more material. And keep that bitter "you are better than me" jealousy tone you have with Trump. You know Biden, the one you want everyone to vote for instead of Trump. Somehow you didn't acknowledge my pleas for you to die a painful death. I was quite certain that is how you would have interpreted my previous post. I guess when your focus is Trump 24/7, nothing else matters.
    • I have a better one. The point that nobody wants to acknowledge is that Dems are crossing over to vote Trump in the primaries and in the general so he will win the presidency. That way Trump will get the blame when the Dems implement their sinister plan to deport all of the minorities in the country. They have already laid the groundwork...convincing everyone that Trump and Republicans are racist (without providing any proof). Then it will be just a matter of time to execute their White supremacy plan of the great purge of the dirty, unwashed, heathen, non-Whites that roam freely in this country. I think my theory is more viable than your theory. Maybe we can get some other ridiculous scenarios so we can start a poll.
    • But that’s what Trump’s fanboys don’t understand.  When he talked about sexually assaulting women, y’all laughed it off as “locker room talk.”  When it was proven that he raped E. Jean Carroll, you cried that it was all an injustice… a lie. Even though he’d already confessed to doing the same thing to other women.  John McCain has suffered and sacrificed more for his country than practically anybody, except possible gold star families… and Trump called him a loser or something to that effect. “Oh, it was a joke that no one was supposed to take seriously.” But when Trump, after disrespecting the sacrifices of one of our most valiant, y’all are like “just because Trump didn’t go to Omaha Beach doesn’t mean he isn’t pro military!” Really? All you have to do is listen to what he said about McCain’s service. Not McCain as an opponent, not McCain’s political views… about the fact that the man was tortured, probably raped, and who knows what all else for over five years for swearing an oath and putting on the uniform.  But all of y’all supposedly “pro military” people just laughed along with Trump. “Good one, Sir! Maverick my new-hind! Filthy Rino!”  I don’t understand how the same people (y’all) who probably always say “thank you for your service” to any veteran still support a guy who craps on the ones who suffered the most on our behalf.  It’s baffling. 
    • Wow. Do you actually believe your little scenario has any chance of alleviating you of your moral immaturity? Deflection at it's best...or worse. You seem to be a sad case. If you died today, I would be remiss if not attributing your cause of death to severe TDS, and of course, Covid. Look at that. I just made a joke about your death. You did not get offended. Nobody was offended. Not one person will accuse me of being hateful towards fellow human beings. But yet, you hate Trump because he made a similar crude comment about McCain. You tried to attribute that comment as evidence Trump hates the military. What grade level of schoolchildren do you think is laughing at you for that "less that adolescent" (hint, hint) comment. You used one crude comment in an attempt to justify your TDS. Now, when called on it, you try to deflect the whole topic. You are certainly not having any fun with this, but you sure are providing entertainment for the board. It's a shame you can't join in on the fun. I think even Big Girl might be to the point of giggling at the shamelessness you are exhibiting.
  • Topics