Whitten did not get the HC job at Angelo State

[quote]West Texas native Will Wagner, the assistant head coach at perennial NCAA Division II powerhouse Northwest Missouri State University, has been named head football coach at Angelo State University, effective immediately. [/quote]

http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2010/dec/23/wagner-named-asu-football-coach/

The offense looked great? Well, with Prewitt or Bevil at QB they broke records for yards per carry 2.2. Rushing yards in a season and only scored one rushing TD and that was versus DII OPSU.

The ones who looked great were our WR's as they starred with both QB's. Bevil has the record for completions in a game at 33 and yards in a game 429. He did turn the ball over too much with 14 ints and 6 fumbles in 8 1/2 games.

Prewitt did a great job but was never close to the completions or the yardage record. He was 2-1 as a starter. He did show leadership and I believe the team rallied around him. But, Bevil lead the team to a victory over SE Louisiana. The only win over a SLC team.

I can see someone saying our pass offense looked great with Prewitt but not our overall offense.

That is what Johnson will bring to the table. He'll make the rushing attack better and I predict he'll be the starter once the season starts.

I'm not going to argue the point any longer as it is stupid to do so anymore. We'll see who the starting QB is next September.

[quote name="bigred360" post="937883" timestamp="1293144425"]
The offense looked great? Well, with Prewitt or Bevil at QB they broke records for yards per carry 2.2. Rushing yards in a season and only scored one rushing TD and that was versus DII OPSU.

The ones who looked great were our WR's as they starred with both QB's. Bevil has the record for completions in a game at 33 and yards in a game 429. He did turn the ball over too much with 14 ints and 6 fumbles in 8 1/2 games.

Prewitt did a great job but was never close to the completions or the yardage record. He was 2-1 as a starter. He did show leadership and I believe the team rallied around him. But, Bevil lead the team to a victory over SE Louisiana. The only win over a SLC team.

I can see someone saying our pass offense looked great with Prewitt but not our overall offense.

That is what Johnson will bring to the table. He'll make the rushing attack better and I predict he'll be the starter once the season starts.

I'm not going to argue the point any longer as it is stupid to do so anymore. We'll see who the starting QB is next September.
[/quote]

Hello option. :)

[quote name="AJ25" post="937896" timestamp="1293146822"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=77925.msg937883#msg937883 date=1293144425]

[/quote]

Hello option. :)
[/quote]

option...zzzzzzzzzzzz...goodbye crowds...

earl campbell couldnt have rushed behind that line

todays game is passing..a great equalizer, you can throw you can beat anybody

What happened to SFA in the playoffs? Jeremy Moses their QB was a two-time SLC Player of the Year, and a Walter Payton Award candidate set a FCS record for all-time completions leader (1,184) in a loss at home to Villanova?

You are right, today's game is passing but the BEST TEAMS can do both.  ;)

Have you watched Oregon or Auburn this year?

Oregon rushing 3933, passing 2518. Auburn rushing 4022, passing 2737

[quote name="bigred360" post="937937" timestamp="1293155854"]
What happened to SFA in the playoffs? Jeremy Moses their QB was a two-time SLC Player of the Year, and a Walter Payton Award candidate set a FCS record for all-time completions leader (1,184) in a loss at home to Villanova?

You are right, today's game is passing but the BEST TEAMS can do both.  ;)

Have you watched Oregon or Auburn this year?

Oregon rushing 3933, passing 2518. Auburn rushing 4022, passing 2737
[/quote]

'nova threw 4 tds against em...then got beat by E wash (4 td passes)

what I'm saying is Lu wants a chance at beating the hawaiis,okie sts, aTm's..gotta throw, cuz they aint gonna run on the big boys. How did they almost upset mcsneeze in the first game back? the pass...A passing game gives the underdog a chance.  How did Lurch at TTech do so much with "lesser" athletes? passing...

Generally football is won by the team with the best line, both offense and defense.  It's been almost 40 years since I played but it was true then and still true.  With the current rules I believe it is easier to pass block than run block, hence all of the passing. The bad side of passing is an incomplete pass takes five to seven seconds off the clock, a run for no gain takes about forty seconds off.  End of the game you can keep the ball for several minutes with one or two first downs running. 

Good stats but we do not have the quality of athletes as the schools mentioned.  We still need some athletes and maybe we will get there but until we do there is no one who can run an offense and be really productive.  If you have gone to the games you see we are very weak in the line areas.  You cannot throw off your backside, so give the coach a break and get him some players not playas.

An option is a lot easier to run with a smaller o-line then trying to line up and drive the ball down the middle of their throats. With the option, you do not have to block every man. Usually, you leave at least one man unblocked PURPOSELY to give the quarterback someone to make his read off of. If that guy goes after the QB, he pitches.. If he takes the running back, the QB cuts it up and takes off. You do not have to drive the d-line back to make the play happen, it's more of a zone. And with running the option, it opens up the zone. The zone is a run play that doesn't always work, but can be very effective. Out of shotgun, (same as option) the QB hands it off to the RB and he just simply runs along the o-line as they zone block and he waits for his hole. It takes a quick speedy back to excel with this play, so I could see LU using it.

What is your expertise about how to run an offense, you already stated you did not play varsity fb that your brother did.  It takes a lot longer to develop offense than defense.  Just because someone can do something does not mean everyone can.  If you want some offensive playbooks put your address up here and I will send you some. 

I played 3 years varsity football. Sophomore I played CB. Junior year I played FS and senior year WR. I stated my brother played COLLEGE FOOTBALL at McNeese. After graduation he went into the coaching profession.

First at LC-M, then at West Brook and finally at Mansfield. Every year he coached their team made the playoffs. At LC-M under David Williams they made it 3 straight years. Then he moved over to West Brook and they had a stud QB named Chip Ambres and they make it twice while he was there. Then he coached at Mansfield and was an associate pastor in Arlington. They made the playoffs both years he coached there.

As a 26 yr old, he was a finalist for the Deweyville job.

He is now the Associate Pastor and Superintendent at Community Christian Church and School in Orange. They are starting a 6 man football program next year.

http://www.ccsorange.org/ccsprofile.html

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/article/Orange-s-Community-Christian-School-preparing-for-906738.php

I'll get my playbook from him.  ;)

Well a vast of knowledge is better than a little.  You may find something you can tweak and make better.  It was just a friendly offering as I would like to see you gain some more knowledge where you can question people who make their living coaching.  Just a suggestion.

Get those linemen in the weight room and feed them!! Thats all they need! What yall forget is these kids are right out of high School and JC. Which neither have very good weight training programs. Lamar has just gotten their weight training facilities finished and it is one of the nicest facilities of any college. As long as the strength training coach knows his stuff and the guys work hard in that weight room we will all see a major improvement!!!

[quote name="Raider88" post="938175" timestamp="1293254559"]
Get those linemen in the weight room and feed them!! Thats all they need! What yall forget is these kids are right out of high School and JC. Which neither have very good weight training programs. Lamar has just gotten their weight training facilities finished and it is one of the nicest facilities of any college. As long as the strength training coach knows his stuff and the guys work hard in that weight room we will all see a major improvement!!!
[/quote]

These days, the higher level High schools' are getting better and better weight programs. And I know that most juco's have pretty decent ones as well. Still, nothing is like a D1 Off season workout. This offseason will be the first off season with a full weight training process as well as being in the new facility. It will be very good, and we should see some solid results next year.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ssiiiiaa
    Newest Member
    ssiiiiaa