It's haircut or get cut in Silsbee basketball

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically what I got from this article was Wah Wah Wah from parents. Sure your kid doesn't have to
Cut his hair, but he doesn't have to play basketball. Basketball and other sports are privileges. I'm sure if Coach Williams had a white player with surfer hair he would give
Him the same rules. He's encouraging continuity across the board in his program good
For him. As for losing players....haha....I think Silsbee will be just fine. Good point on wooden, I think it worked out okay for him too.

I agree with Travis! Most parents disagree with teachers and coaches any way until they are put into their shows. Travis is the head coach and his rules are what you must abide by if you want to play basketball in Silsbee. It wierd how people always find SOMETHING to complain about. Look at the players on Duke and Texas. 90% of college programs dont allow Afro's, long hair, braids etc.... Just like a job, you must look presentable and dress for excellence. Nice work Travis!

maybe a compromise is suitable, like with tats, if you want to keep it [b]cover it[/b]. after all, how his hair looks on his own time is his business (might hurt his self esteem you see) and he can't just grow it back after every practice or game, but if he loves the game and wants to keep the dreds maybe he should wear a skull cap or suitable cover in practice and games maybe even during school, but at the end its the coaches decision....

Make sure the hair is presentable.  I would like to know what bad message it sends...  let the kids keep the flat top...  Dred locks...  or afro's or braids if they want.  It have to be kept and neat.  Those kids could be well manored.  don't matter what kind of hair style you have.  Let these kids be teenagers.  Your teenagers once in a lifetime.  I think some of the higher ups in Silsbee need to quit being stiff necks and tight behinds...  Goodness gracious!  [IMG]http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Confused/crazy.gif[/img]

I mean, they already run all those sprints.  They perfect these plays just like you want.  They don't talk back.  They listen.  They wear their shirt and ties on game day.  Shirt tucked in.  Puts butts in your gym.  The least you can do is let these kids be kids.  Kids have fads... It was like that when we were in school.  Let these kids have it.  Instead of being on some kind of crazy power trip... I still want to know what kind of 'message' these hair styles send...  ::)

Coach Wooden also began the first practice every year with a lesson on the proper way to put on a pair of socks. It had a practical purpose... cut down on blisters. Now days he would be sued/fired/god knows what for insulting the players by suggesting they aren't smart enough to figure out how to put on socks, thereby destroying their self-esteem.

You are correct times have defintely changed.  And it is not a positive change.  It goes along the same lines as making the team wear ties and slacks on game days.  You as a team want to put yourself out to everyone in the best possible image.  On the court and off.  The coach has the right to decide what he wants on his team and the player can decide to abide by the rules and play or not.  Whether it is dread locks or a scruffy headed white kid I would be the same if I was coaching.  The players hair would be well groomed. I would be the person who made the decisions on what well groomed are and that is how it would be.  Most teams want to look alike and this gives them a feeling of being alike and playing alike.  Once you commit to play on a team, you have to leave some individual things behind, but this is a very individual society and that is why you have parents and people complaining.  Its just plain old common sense that you want to appear both professional on the court and off. 

Travis didn't tell anyone they had to get a haircut, he simply laid down some groundrules for HIS team.The rest is up to the student.I hate to think how long it's been since I played but my coach had a ruler and measured everyones hair before we exited the locker room.There has to be a chain of command in every organization and Travis is at the top of this one.Go get em Coach !!!!!!!

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="929060" timestamp="1291867227"]
Set ground rules on kids that do everything they are asked to do and they can't wear an unextreme hair style...  ::) ::)  Sounds like powers from above...
[/quote]

If it was coming from powers up above, why are the football players allowed these haircuts? ::) It's Coach Williams' decision.

Read the article.  Seems like coach Travis is doing exactly as he should.  He is creating a team concept.  Parents think it is unreasonable.  Well then dont play basketball.  And I dont know why they want to try to make it a racial issue.  The majority of Silsbee's team is black, so in all fairness I think white parents could say their kids are not getting to play because they are white.  Ridiculous statement?  Yes it is.  Both ways.  I guarantee you that if a white kid had long hair he would have to get it cut too.  One women brought up the fact that it is a heritage issue.  Well, it may be, but with Travis, TEAM trumps the heritage issue and since he is the coach you either play for him and get your hair cut, or dont play and keep your hair the way you want.  I dont see anything racial at all about the article.  I dont even know if the coach is black or white.  But, regardless, it is HIS team for this year and he made the rules.  Pretty simple.  If you like your hair better than basketball you dont need to play anyway.

[quote name="SHSTIGER" post="929069" timestamp="1291868278"]
[quote author=BMTSoulja1 link=topic=77234.msg929060#msg929060 date=1291867227]
Set ground rules on kids that do everything they are asked to do and they can't wear an unextreme hair style...  ::) ::)  Sounds like powers from above...
[/quote]

If it was coming from powers up above, why are the football players allowed these haircuts? ::) It's Coach Williams' decision.
[/quote]Just make the kids wear short shorts and long knee high socks while their at it... Again, I don't see anything wrong if a kid keeps it neat looking.  These kids roll models are NBA players, which they hope to be one day...  These players wear their hair however and produce, work as a team to win and all the other things you are taught as an athlete... And by the way, I know some things about the iner workings up there...  This is only confirming what I've been hearing for years... But hey, rules are rules, right?  Ridiculous, IMO...

[quote name="east texas bb" post="929077" timestamp="1291870061"]
Read the article.  Seems like coach Travis is doing exactly as he should.  He is creating a team concept.  Parents think it is unreasonable.  Well then dont play basketball.  And I dont know why they want to try to make it a racial issue.  The majority of Silsbee's team is black, so in all fairness I think white parents could say their kids are not getting to play because they are white.  Ridiculous statement?  Yes it is.  Both ways.  I guarantee you that if a white kid had long hair he would have to get it cut too.  One women brought up the fact that it is a heritage issue.  Well, it may be, but with Travis, TEAM trumps the heritage issue and since he is the coach you either play for him and get your hair cut, or dont play and keep your hair the way you want.  I dont see anything racial at all about the article.  I dont even know if the coach is black or white.  But, regardless, it is HIS team for this year and he made the rules.  Pretty simple.  If you like your hair better than basketball you dont need to play anyway.
[/quote]

Why do people still have human kids? We are all going to be Robots in the future. Didnt affect anything in the past times, why now? They are winning so why piss the kids off and all of them quit. What will he do then?  Is anyone getting in trouble? Coaches can take stuff too far. Williams is just gonna piss alot of people off!!!

[quote name="SFAJACK02" post="929084" timestamp="1291871559"]
[quote author=east texas bb link=topic=77234.msg929077#msg929077 date=1291870061]
Read the article.  Seems like coach Travis is doing exactly as he should.  He is creating a team concept.  Parents think it is unreasonable.  Well then dont play basketball.  And I dont know why they want to try to make it a racial issue.  The majority of Silsbee's team is black, so in all fairness I think white parents could say their kids are not getting to play because they are white.  Ridiculous statement?  Yes it is.  Both ways.  I guarantee you that if a white kid had long hair he would have to get it cut too.  One women brought up the fact that it is a heritage issue.  Well, it may be, but with Travis, TEAM trumps the heritage issue and since he is the coach you either play for him and get your hair cut, or dont play and keep your hair the way you want.  I dont see anything racial at all about the article.  I dont even know if the coach is black or white.  But, regardless, it is HIS team for this year and he made the rules.  Pretty simple.  If you like your hair better than basketball you dont need to play anyway.
[/quote]

Why do people still have human kids? We are all going to be Robots in the future. Didnt affect anything in the past times, why now? They are winning so why piss the kids off and all of them quite. What will he do then?  Is anyone getting in trouble? Coaches can take stuff too far. Williams is just gonna piss alot of people off!!!
[/quote]My point exactly... Team is doing great and have been for a few years now. Now all of a sudden, it's a problem.  Politics, I tell ya...

[quote name="24 over par" post="929085" timestamp="1291872241"]
he isnt making anyone cut their hair they dont have to play and they knew the rules before they started playing
[/quote]You basically reinterated what you said.  He's making them cut their hair to fit 'someone's' image...  Because they want to send the right message... What message is that?  ::) ::)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami

• What the writer stated wrt crossover votes in the primary/runoff: "Covey and his supporters Paxton and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said Phelan only won because Democrats crossed over to vote in the Republican Primary for him. Paxton said Covey’s campaign identified “at least” 1,442 Democrats who voted early in Jefferson County in the primary runoff. Texas does not have party registration, but a voter’s primary voting history is public. The Covey campaign has not released its methodology behind its claim, but  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  by The Texan news website found that 9% of Republican voters in the March District 21 primary had voted in one of the previous four Democratic primaries. However, only 5% of that group had voted in all four previous Democratic primaries. What Phelan’s opponents did not mention is historically Democratic Jefferson County is undergoing a political transition towards the Republican party — the county judge switched his affiliation to the GOP in 2017 — so many residents have a mixed primary voting history. And Phelan’s allies in the House dismissed the idea that liberals swung the election. "I knocked on doors, hundreds and hundreds of doors, made calls for Dade,” Republican Rep. Jeff Leach, R-Plano, said on Mark Davis’ radio program Wednesday. “I did not speak to a single Democrat down here in HD21. Not a single one." "  
    • He's with it enough to do what he's told, beginning day 1 when he signed the order to revoke the Keystone Pipeline project.  But more recently, he's protecting the DOJ, as well as himself ...  This is the hidden content, please Sign In or Sign Up  
    • Most 75-80 year Olds have some type of cognitive impairment. If you are asking if Biden has dementia then my answer is no. That is a Republican talking point. If you all think he has dementia what type do you think he has?
    • A lot better showing from the Ags tonight!   Bring on Oregon 
  • Topics