Give Lamar Football a chance

Javelina

If Lamar wanted to go undefeated they would have played South Alabamas schedule, but instead they chose to play a pretty rough FCS schedule.  I think it is a good thing they scheduled hard games so going into next year they know where they stand in the SLC.  Sure they need to make some improvements but every team needs to do that.  The McNeese game got everyones expectations way high for this season and people are throwing them under the bus cause they are not winning.  South Alabama will get a wake up call when they get in the Sun Belt and have to play real schools.  I would rather take lumps this season and go 4-7 than go 10-1 with a cream puff schedule then get to the real games next year and go 1-10 and wonder what happened to a team that went 10-1 but was never tested.  I think this schedule makes them a better team next year and if you just want to bash on em now then get off the wagon cause we want fans not people who only point out the negative in every game.  let this team grow and get up to full scholarships and a few transfers like every other FCS team in the country gets and I belive this team will be fighting for a SLC title and a NCAA berth in the playoffs.  Ok so now that I have said my peace let the smiteing begin!!!!

[font=Courier]I totally agree. I think lots based the season on the McNeese game.

On the other hand, it just looks like the season has wore on the starters and this team has zero depth. Was disappointed on how they played against North Dakota with a week off, and that starts at the top.

Lamar is the only FCS team without a rushing TD this year, and that's sad. [/font]

[quote name="hipster" post="893098" timestamp="1288562728"]
A very passionate post but I believe that so ala played lamar and georgia st are they part of the cream puff schedule?  Remember we still have to play ga st and have a cream puff left in panhandle st so maybe we still have a chance!
[/quote]

I cant count Lamar, South Ala. or Ga. State cream puff cause we are all new but South Ala. played University of Mizzou Science and Technology.  I also think they played the Texas school of the Blind Last year.  Mizzou S&T???? that would be like Lamar playing The Proccess Operators from LIT!!!!!!

[quote name="hipster" post="893098" timestamp="1288562728"]
A very passionate post but I believe that so ala played lamar and georgia st are they part of the cream puff schedule?  Remember we still have to play ga st and have a cream puff left in panhandle st so maybe we still have a chance!
[/quote]

first year program Ga St. scored 30 something on so. bammy....we scored zip...

we need an OC

As I've told you before - by the method they are using in-conjunction with NCAA rules/regulations, South Alabama's "first year" is officially next year... want to compare next year's slate to this year's?

Not sure about you guys - but playing two FBS teams (Mississippi State, NC State) plus a FBS-bound UTSA program, does not sound like a cupcake schedule...

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled South Alabama smack!

[quote name="puddin tane" post="893174" timestamp="1288568396"]
[quote author=hipster link=topic=75337.msg893098#msg893098 date=1288562728]
[/quote]

we need an OC

[/quote]

Georgia State also lost to a NAIA team.  South Alabama had a year start on Lamar but they went the route of playing easier teams their first year.  They do have about 10 seniors on their team and a lot of FBS transfers too.  Woodard was right about one thing when he said that the fans expect Lamar to win right away.

[quote name="beechnut" post="893142" timestamp="1288566253"]
[b]Gonna have to give Coach W some time and hit the road to find some good players[/b]. Not a coach or expert but have to give him some time.
[/quote]
I think we have plenty of talent in SETX...I would recruit here first...why not?

[quote name="coachacola" post="893233" timestamp="1288574283"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=75337.msg893174#msg893174 date=1288568396]
[quote author=hipster link=topic=75337.msg893098#msg893098 date=1288562728]
[/quote]

we need an OC

[/quote]

Georgia State also lost to a NAIA team.  South Alabama had a year start on Lamar but they went the route of playing easier teams their first year.  They do have about 10 seniors on their team and a lot of FBS transfers too.  Woodard was right about one thing when he said that the fans expect Lamar to win right away.
[/quote]

we need an OC

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/ncaa-m-footbl-stats-index.html

[quote name="Sgt Rey" post="893251" timestamp="1288575437"]
[quote author=beechnut link=topic=75337.msg893142#msg893142 date=1288566253]
[b]Gonna have to give Coach W some time and hit the road to find some good players[/b]. Not a coach or expert but have to give him some time.
[/quote]
I think we have plenty of talent in SETX...I would recruit here first...why not?
[/quote]

you seen the team?..a bunch of setex kids

[quote name="puddin tane" post="893276" timestamp="1288577028"]
[quote author=Sgt Rey link=topic=75337.msg893251#msg893251 date=1288575437]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote].
I really don't care where they are from. I just want them to be able to play some good hard nose football.

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="893202" timestamp="1288570791"]
As I've told you before - by the method they are using in-conjunction with NCAA rules/regulations, South Alabama's "first year" is officially next year... want to compare next year's slate to this year's?

Not sure about you guys - but playing two FBS teams (Mississippi State, NC State) plus a FBS-bound UTSA program, does not sound like a cupcake schedule...

Okay, back to your regularly scheduled South Alabama smack!
[/quote]

I don't care what the method they are using with the NCAA rules is. They have played different schools the past two years. I believe 7 games last year and a 10 game schedule this season.

They beat us pretty good but they had several games under their belts and honestly they have played a cupcake schedule especially last year.

I think everyone should jump off the bandwagon, quit going to games, burn all their Cardinal gear and ignore LU football because if Lamar doesn't go undefeated in it's first season with QB who would have a tough time starting at a good D2 school then the coaches suck, and the team has no talent or heart.  I don't know about you all but after the first game in 20 years when LU lost to McNeese, for me the season was over.  Can't go undefeated if you lose your first game.

[quote name="wouldsmith" post="893187" timestamp="1288569419"]
Lamar football program will be Just as it was 20 years ago.
[/quote]

Sorry, don't agree for several reasons. One, being Lamar just spent about $30 million on the new athletic complex, the suites, press box, turf, scoreboard and renovating Provost Umphrey Stadium. Two, football is being 110% supported by the university administration and the athletic department. Three, this is our first year as a start-up program and we are all guilty of expecting too much too soon. Four, the students voted for the return of football by 78% and have a football fee added for each credit hour they are taking. Five, have you been to a home game yet? The tailgating and game day atmosphere has been great for every game and those spots were sold with a three year commitment.

Now, within the next three years Lamar needs to be competing for the SLC championship. So give the coaching staff some time as LU has the best facilities in the conference. This is a major recruiting advantage.

We will have the off season strength and conditioning program (Lamar has never had a strength and conditioning coach) and we have two coaches that is their job to get the returning players bigger, stronger and faster. Then add a couple recruiting classes to add depth and better athletes.

It is way too early to compare this current squad and those 20 years ago.

You needed to bring up South Alabama why? You could have made your point without painting in a negative light a team that beat Lamar 26-0. South Alabama is doing just fine with our creampuff schedule and we don't have to lose 71-3, 38-10, 26-0, or 31-6 to be made a better team.

::)  ::)  ::)

:D  :D  :D

[quote name="time2time" post="893297" timestamp="1288578320"]
I think everyone should jump off the bandwagon, quit going to games, burn all their Cardinal gear and ignore LU football because if Lamar doesn't go undefeated in it's first season with QB who would have a tough time starting at a good D2 school then the coaches suck, and the team has no talent or heart.  I don't know about you all but after the first game in 20 years when LU lost to McNeese, for me the season was over.  Can't go undefeated if you lose your first game.
[/quote]

I like you!!  Your funny.  ;D

South Alabama also played that schedule because they're games don't count as DI wins. It's hard to get a school to play you if you're not counting towards their DI win column total. It's different for Lamar when it comes to FCS games like McNeese, SHSU, and SFA because we recruit in that area. We want to be able to play the Cardinals and show the local kids how much better our schools are, yada yada yada.

It's the same reason that all the FBS schools are lining up to play UTSA, who has never played a down of football, and it's because San Antonio is a recruiting hot bed.

[quote name="bigred360" post="893313" timestamp="1288579024"]
[quote author=wouldsmith link=topic=75337.msg893187#msg893187 date=1288569419]
[/quote]

Sorry, don't agree for several reasons. One, being Lamar just spent about $30 million on the new athletic complex, the suites, press box, turf, scoreboard and renovating Provost Umphrey Stadium. Two, football
is being 110% supported by the university administration and the athletic department. Three, this is our first year as a start-up program and we are all guilty of expecting too much too soon. Four, the students voted for the return of football by 78% and have a football fee added for each credit hour they are taking. Five, have you been to a home game yet? The tailgating and game day atmosphere has been great for every game and those spots were sold with a three year commitment.

Now, within the next three years Lamar needs to be competing for the SLC championship. So give the coaching staff some time as LU has the best facilities in the conference. This is a major recruiting advantage.

We will have the off season strength and conditioning program (Lamar has never had a strength and conditioning coach) and we have two coaches that is their job to get the returning players bigger, stronger and faster. Then add a couple recruiting classes to add depth and better athletes.

[/quote]

They can spend as much as They want....its all hype.  Just wait and see what the attendance is next year or two.  Then remember my words.....it'll be just like 20 years ago...minus 30 million dollars.  Haha

[quote name="puddin tane" post="893276" timestamp="1288577028"]
[quote author=Sgt Rey link=topic=75337.msg893251#msg893251 date=1288575437]
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I assisted in recruiting Marines for a month, I made sure they wanted to be there and I made sure I wanted them there.  I can only assume it's very similar @ Lamar...maybe there are some players that were a disappointment from the area( I guess that's what you're getting at)...I would have to say, you can get wayyy more for your player locally.  You can research the attitude and player's down falls thru teachers, peers, little league coaches etc...it's kinda expensive to do that out of the area..IMO

[quote name="wouldsmith" post="893447" timestamp="1288612895"]
[quote author=bigred360 link=topic=75337.msg893313#msg893313 date=1288579024]
[quote author=wouldsmith link=topic=75337.msg893187#msg893187 date=1288569419]
[/quote]

Sorry, don't agree for several reasons. One, being Lamar just spent about $30 million on the new athletic complex, the suites, press box, turf, scoreboard and renovating Provost Umphrey Stadium. Two, football
is being 110% supported by the university administration and the athletic department. Three, this is our first year as a start-up program and we are all guilty of expecting too much too soon. Four, the students voted for the return of football by 78% and have a football fee added for each credit hour they are taking. Five, have you been to a home game yet? The tailgating and game day atmosphere has been great for every game and those spots were sold with a three year commitment.

[/quote]

They can spend as much as They want....its all hype.  Just wait and see what the attendance is next year or two.  Then remember my words.....it'll be just like 20 years ago...minus 30 million dollars.  Haha
[/quote]

Maybe it'll be like 30 years ago when they averaged over 16K a year.  It's not all hype, but why let facts get in the way of your opinion?

[quote name="Nurse Jag" post="893411" timestamp="1288587010"]
You needed to bring up South Alabama why? You could have made your point without painting in a negative light a team that beat Lamar 26-0. South Alabama is doing just fine with our creampuff schedule and we don't have to lose 71-3, 38-10, 26-0, or 31-6 to be made a better team.

::)  ::)  ::)

:D  :D  :D
[/quote]

Sorry, from one nurse to another just look at the names on your schedule the first and second year your team took to the field in competition. I don't care what the method of starting their program at South Alabama is using with the NCAA. The Jaguars played 12 games together before playing Lamar who is a true first year start-up and had only played 6 games.

No excuse for losing and I did congratulate your program. But, to say you aren't in your second year is just a play on words. Heck, you guys have 12 seniors in your program so USA is older than Lamar too.  

Lamar is playing a much harder schedule and that is just a fact.

Congratulations on your victories and maybe you can keep it going next year.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SVD Beaumont
    Newest Member
    SVD Beaumont